IGNORED

Not the usual article about thailand

furryman

Just came across this piece and found it a refreshing change from most of what I see written about Thailand.

http://www.cnngo.com/bangkok/life/25-years-thailands-sex-industry-233135

“It’s frustrating to keep repeating ourselves for over 25 years that sex work is work,” she says. “Sex workers are workers who must be given the same benefits and protections as other workers and equal respect and space in society.

“We never call ourselves ‘bar girls’,” says Noi, adding that they don’t dub themselves “prostitutes” either, as that word carries an old-fashioned stigma. Noi says that 50,000 sex workers have joined Empower over the last 25 years, though the group does not aim to help in the traditional sense that a charity or welfare organization might.

“Empower is a space where sex workers can promote our human rights, including advocating change in government policy. It is largely run and managed by sex workers for sex workers, providing access to basic rights like education, health and community belonging.”

“Much of the tourist industry is dependent on sex workers and it makes up around 7 percent of the GDP -- more than rice exports,” she says. “The International Labour Organisation found sex workers send home US$300 million a year to rural areas, which is more than any government development project.”
Edited by furryman

Interesting how they don't have this organization in Pattaya (or Nana/Soi Cowboy either).

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

Next they will want a Ministers Seat and representation in Govt... Good for them... Entertainers do more for Thai then most Thai folks do... Hell I think mostly Farang money rebuilt some of the temples up in Isaan.

However maybe soon the Govt. will want to TAX the remittances (MoneyGram / Western) like they do in other countries, or god forbid tax the transaction. Would love to be the auditor in those cases... Would be kind of funny to see girls walk around with portable Credit Card machines however...

Trying to Stay Out Of Trouble, But It Isn't Working

Will I then be able to claim my BF as a tax write off? :GrinNod1:

Will I then be able to claim my BF as a tax write off? :GrinNod1:

I'm going to certainly try to use LaaMok's web class as way to write off my travel. :GoldenSmile1:

Trying to Stay Out Of Trouble, But It Isn't Working