Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | The Night Wish Group | Thailand 24/7 Forum | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News | | Pattaya Investigations | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Best Area in Pattaya to Retire.

irish rover

Can anyone tell me what area of Pattaya would be nice to retire to

where do expats live is there a special area they livein or all over .

have been looking at Phuket and Pattaya cost wise and we are coming over in December to have a look around the areas.

cost of living Phuket versas pattaya.

look forward to all factual information please

To be able to advise you usefully, most members would need more information eg.:-

Rent or Buy? - If you buy you need much more advice and most will advise against it, at least until you think you know what you're doing and even then.

Budget? - Rent/month or ?Mn Baht?

Space? - How many bedrooms and room sizes (some are small)?

Plot size? - Even 4 bedroom houses with swimming pool can be crammed into less than 100 talang wah.

Situation? - Inside an enclosed village/resort or outside with views etc.

Location? - Depends on your needs. If you want to go into Pattaya every night then you won't want to be too far out.

Swimming pool? - Communal or your own. The latter can be expensive to maintain, so it depends whether you'll use it.

I live in East Pattaya, but I go into town far more often than I thought I would (c. 8 nights/week) and it isn't making a lot of sense.

Cost of living? Not as cheap as some would have you believe but it depends how you live eg. eat/cook Thai or farang. I doubt there's much difference between Pattaya and Phuket but I'd guess the latter is higher.

Comparison with Phuket? I can't help you as I've never been there and everything I've read tells me I don't want to.

mouse.gif.00a707d30565699b15838265572acd33.gif

Best advise is to come here first and rent a condo in Pattaya for at least 6 months to a year and test the waters as to where exactly you want to retire. Use Pattaya as your bases and travel alot. Rent/Buy a scooter and do a lot or random driving around. ( Darkside, Jomtien, Nakula, etc, etc.)

Also, during the 6-12 month trial period dont limit yourself to just Phuket or Pattaya. Try Samui and ChaingMai. Myself, after coming here for more than 3 decades as well as a 1 year stint I would prefer CM or Samui (Lamai) over Pattaya or Phuket. Just my preference and your milage may vary.

Worst thing you could do is to invest a large chunk of your retirement money only to find out that you have chosen the wrong area to stay in.

As a family man/monger, I like CM as it has much better infrastructure (sidewalks, great schools, nitelife, restaurants, riverfront, mountains, etc) than other parts of the country. Plus its not so much "In your face" prostitution. Dont get me wrong, I like pussy just as much as everyone else, but the constant, in your face, 24hrs, "Hello sexy man" shit gets old real quick. Pattaya is great for the 3-4 week vacation but being a family man I could never retire there. CM still has a good balance of pussy and night life but still offers a good dose of excellent laid back restaurants, nitelife and great scenery. Plus it has a easy Airport and train system to get in-out of the city as well as a highly educated population due to thee great schools and colleges in the area. Just my 2 cents.....

• 2 weeks later...

A freind of mine lives in the village by third road, he loves it, walkable to the action and back, quiet, not expensive, he loves it.

I live half way between Pattaya and Jomtien so its only a short ride to either one but quiet here. Also 2 minutes to the beach or Pattaya Park. I would recommend being fairly close to the shops bars etc as traveling from outside Pattaya every day would soon get tiring. Also if you are on a baht bus route you can do without transport as they are so cheap. Traffic and parking (cars) in Pattaya is a nightmare.

have been looking at Phuket and Pattaya cost wise and we are coming over in December to have a look around the areas.

cost of living phuket versas pattaya.

:001_Sawasdee:I think you will be very surprised,whet hsppen in patt.Good luck for all you do.Cheers

post-1-0-28227900-1338976307.gif

Canada born - but I'm true Brit.

So it'll be off with their knickers & sucking the clit!

That's a question only you can answer, I don't think anyone can help much unless you state more about the life style your thinking of living.

As has been mentioned Chaing Mai is well worth checking out in my view- if only for it being a fair bit cooler & I find people more friendly up there, but no beach!

So do take your time in December & try staying a while or come back agian, costly mistakes will be made if you hurry. Again other Addicts are quite right in suggesting you rent somewhere (cheap if funds are limited) then talk to peolpe you feel akin with. ++ Travel plenty!++ now that is cheap! You'll find the place that you're happy in- for sure.