IGNORED

The Jolly Friar

China Garden

I ate from your place yesterday & have to say it was the best value for a fish meal I've had in a while. My mate had the cod & chips, he said it reminded him of the old days back home (England). I had the flake, it reminded me of back in Ozz years ago when Flake was the standard fish chunk you got served up. Your flake piece is massive. The onion ring were even good. Total cost of 340 baht, bloody cheap.

Only complaint I have, it was the day off for the delivery person. I asked if it could be delivered by a taxi driver (not far), which I would pay for, & couldn't be done.

I had to leave my beer to pick up the food. Anyways the price, quantity & quality made up for it all. Thanks & keep up the good work.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• China Garden

• Edge

• Cnut the lesser

• Chris P Bacon

I ate there last trip. Delicious fish. A nice clean restaurant. I'll be there again for sure when I need a break from my beloved soi food.

Hey.. Thanks... will see u in Jan first week..|:)

We have just opened a brand new Fish & Chips restaurant in Soi Lengkee called The Jolly Friar.

Fish & Chips start from 100 Baht, we sell Dory, Cod, Flake, Halibut & Parrot Fish plus many other dishes like Fish Cakes & battered sausages etc. A full Thai menu is also available, we will shortly be offering take away and delivery.

Thank you

Here's mine from yesterday.

030820101231pa.jpg030820101233pa2.jpg

Firstly, the place is immaculate, certainly on a par with Goose's - good aircon and TV.

Service also excellent.

I ordered the 250 gm Cod, which was the only size offered, at 190 baht.

There are other, cheaper options of different fish, but this was the only Cod.

To put this in perspective, 250 gm is gannet sized.

For Brits, F&C shops in UK generally offer portions 2-4 oz. - this is almost 9 oz.

I can eat big and I was hungry, but this was really too big even for me. It was a meal by itself really.

I would have thought a smaller option would be a good idea.

That price is for the fish only i.e. add on chips and mushy peas.

Luckily I only ordered the small chips (40 baht) and I left some. The peas were 35 baht.

I didn't order a drink, but a glass of iced water arrived anyway which was not charged for. I don't know if that's normal practice or they took pity on me.

Tartare Sauce included.

On the face of it the prices are highish, roughly on a par with Simon's a Goose's but remember that's for Cod and not Dory, which most of the low priced options are. Dory is OK btw, but not as meaty and a milder taste imo.

Quality:-

The Cod - I would give this an 8 (9s and 10s are rarely found outside Lincolnshire or Yorkshire UK). Taking into account the size, it was the best I've had in Pattaya.

The batter was light and crispy (unlike Pig & Whistle's concrete coating).

Without taking the size into account, it was probably a 7 alongside Simon's and Goose's. To put that in perspective I'd say NeeRoy's is a 2/3 and P & G a 5(at best) - for the fish.

The Chips - didn't really work I'm afraid. They were real and they were OK, but they were on the soggy side. Potatoes here can be a problem but I suspect these had been blanched for ease of final frying (not certain).

It's a good idea and can work brilliantly, but oil temperature has to be high or they absorb too much and don't crisp. If I'm wrong it must be watery potatoes but still oil temperature too low. They were also not very hot and I suspect were put out before the fish was ready. You could easily go another day and they'd be excellent.

The Peas - were mushy. No problem there - portion OK and slump value correct. The only place I know that can really mess up mushy peas is NeeRoy's.

That may sound super critical, but that's me.

It was a damn good meal and I'd thoroughly recommend it. :GoldenSmile1:

Hey Edge - do you remember what specifically you ordered from the menu? After seeing the picture you posted, I decided to pay this place a visit and ordered the cod but it looked nothing like the one in your picture. The batter was crunchy and it was only 140 baht. I couldn't see any cod on the menu for 190 baht?

Hey Edge - do you remember what specifically you ordered from the menu? After seeing the picture you posted, I decided to pay this place a visit and ordered the cod but it looked nothing like the one in your picture. The batter was crunchy and it was only 140 baht. I couldn't see any cod on the menu for 190 baht?

It was the large Cod and it was a monster at 250 gms.

As you can see, that was about 4 months ago and they may well have adjusted their pricing strategy.

I keep seeing a 99 Baht banner on here, though it says 100 Baht outside the shop.

In fact, I was there in the past week and I too ordered the 140 Baht Cod, so I think you may have a point.

Perhaps I should go back again today and check yum yum. :GoldenSmile1:

Make sure they have some CHIPS before you complete your order, they ran out tonight (1/1/2011). Told they would be going to get some more, but several customers walked when offered MASH or wait 30 minutes.

I went to check and the menu still says 250 gms but it's 140 Baht now.

250 gms in English is nearly 9 oz I think and when I did my first report I could believe that's what I got. It was a monster.

A good portion when I was in the trade was 4-6 oz of fish. This was a good portion without doubt, but I'm not convinced it was 8.816 oz unless that includes the batter.

I suppose that would still be correct, but it's not how fish weight was expressed when I were a lad.

Perhaps the owner could clarify?

Don't get me wrong, this is still my number one.

Make sure they have some CHIPS before you complete your order, they ran out tonight (1/1/2011). Told they would be going to get some more, but several customers walked when offered MASH or wait 30 minutes.

Sounds like they might have been caught out by their good press here recently, plus the fact that they are offering a really good product.

Like most restaurants offering chips here, I believe they are pre-blanching their potatoes. That is another stage in production which takes time and perhaps explains why they ran out. Maybe they've now learned that they ought to carry a stock of pre-blanched chips in their freezer.

I was there at about 6 pm and it was the busiest I've ever seen it - and the chips were delicious btw. :GoldenSmile1:

Is this where Juice Restaurant used to be?

Mr Google says different address.

I think Juice is still there.

Mr Google says different address.

I think Juice is still there.

Ah good stuff,some very nice grub in juice,i shall give this place a try in March.

Thank you for the kind words regarding our food, yesterday was an incredibly busy day and we did get caught out by now having enough chips blanched.. hands up! Sorry.

We will definitely do better today..

Yes Juice is still there and its actually next door.. owners name is Luka, he took over 10 months ago from Pat's old boyfriend (the Irish guy)

I went to check and the menu still says 250 gms but it's 140 Baht now.

250 gms in English is nearly 9 oz I think and when I did my first report I could believe that's what I got. It was a monster.

A good portion when I was in the trade was 4-6 oz of fish. This was a good portion without doubt, but I'm not convinced it was 8.816 oz unless that includes the batter.

I suppose that would still be correct, but it's not how fish weight was expressed when I were a lad.

Perhaps the owner could clarify?

Thank you for the kind words regarding our food, yesterday was an incredibly busy day and we did get caught out by now having enough chips blanched.. hands up! Sorry.

So what's the answer re the declared portion size as above?

BTW, it doesn't bother me as I know what I'm getting for my money and I'm happy, but your method of charging separately for each item does cause some customers confusion and I heard another grumbling about chips being extra yesterday.

I guess some are just so used to Fish & Chips going together - as in your Banner on here. :GoldenSmile1:

BTW, it doesn't bother me as I know what I'm getting for my money and I'm happy, but your method of charging separately for each item does cause some customers confusion and I heard another grumbling about chips being extra yesterday.

I guess some are just so used to Fish & Chips going together - as in your Banner on here. :GoldenSmile1:

Yes overall individually priced items has worked out a lot better for us and our customers, you get exactly what you want and the service staff can understand more complex orders easier.

Yes overall individually priced items has worked out a lot better for us and our customers, you get exactly what you want and the service staff can understand more complex orders easier.

So there is no answer to the 250 gm portion size Q?

:001_Thank_You5: To the staff of the Jolly Friar for a huge meal.

I decided to give it a try and was not disappointed.

<center><embed src="http://www.zoodu.com/countdown-clock/2/show.swf?clickURL=http://www.zoodu.com/countdown-clock/&clickLABEL=Countdown Clock by Zoodu.com&flashLABEL=Zoodu.com - Pimp Your Profile!&skin=http://www.zoodu.com/countdown-clock/2/skins/3d35.swf&text=LIFT%20OFF&untilColor=6724095&textColor=0&datesColor=0&year=2011&month=11&day=7&hour=21&minute=25&second=0&x=6&y=77" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="300" height="200" name="countdown" align="middle" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /><br><small><a href="http://www.zoodu.com/countdown-clock/">Countdown Clock by Zoodu.com</a></small></center>

Fantastic. . . I have lived here for 7 years and loved every minute of it! Ian

haven't seen the dim sims on the me and you yet so still to be decided - but all jokes aside I'll be in pattaya staying at the Billabong for a month from the date below and will no doubt be having something from the JF during this time - from my reading of directions ur just around the corner and up the road a bit - would be glad to get any info on becoming an expat - a retired one I hope

I'll be in pattaya staying at the billabong for a month from the date below and will no doubt be having something from the JF during this time - from my reading of directions ur just around the corner and up the road a bit

From Billabong, walk to Soi Diana Inn (past Champagne go go), turn left. When you reach the crossroads, keep going straight, the road becomes Soi Lenkee. Jolly Friar is on your left a little way up soi Lenkee.

Well worth a visit, I was in there today.

Personally I love the menu breakdown, as I can pick and choose what I want, just like a chippy in the UK.

You can choose small, medium or large chips.

Today I had cod in breadcrumbs, small chips and fat boy sausage (which was almost as big as my dick - so either the sausage was big, or I have a small dick).

The chips have improved from the early days - cooked more and very tasty.

"Real chips" not frozen reconstituted potato you get in most places.

From Billabong, walk to Soi Diana Inn (past Champagne go go), turn left. When you reach the crossroads, keep going straight, the road becomes Soi Lenkee. Jolly Friar is on your left a little way up soi Lenkee.

Personally I love the menu breakdown, as I can pick and choose what I want, just like a chippy in the UK.

Today I had cod in breadcrumbs, small chips and fat boy sausage (which was almost as big as my dick - so either the sausage was big, or I have a small dick).

walk to Soi Diana Inn (past Champagne go go) - now there's hard call #1 -- :LMAO1: and definitely past the subway on the corner -- not too far away from the bowls club I wouldn't thunk - probably the next soi down

So there is no answer to the 250 gm portion size Q?

Sorry for the late reply! We buy the COD in 1 kilo packs (Emborg brand) and there are always 4 pieces in each bag, the average weight should be 250g as we advertise for 140baht but I will concede that portions could vary ever so slightly ..perhaps 20g one way or the other! But generally the fish pieces are very similar in size and weight

Well its called a "Jumbo Sausage" at meat wholesalers :GoldenSmile1:

:001_Thank_You5: To the staff of the Jolly Friar for a huge meal.

I decided to give it a try and was not disappointed.

Hope to see you again!

• 3 weeks later...

note to OP, your website needs updating, no prices on there or delivery charges etc or even a menu

worth getting it updated especially as you are advertising it

• 2 weeks later...

note to OP, your website needs updating, no prices on there or delivery charges etc or even a menu

worth getting it updated especially as you are advertising it

I was going to order a delivery tonight, but the number is just a recorded message, have you start deliveries yet?

http://www.jollyfriarpattaya.com/Gallery.htm

Looks like its going to have to be Gooses, and i hate there hard chips.