IGNORED

The Jolly Friar

China Garden

We have just opened a brand new Fish & Chips restaurant in Soi Lengkee called The Jolly Friar.

Fish & Chips start from 100 Baht, we sell Dory, Cod, Flake, Halibut & Parrot Fish plus many other dishes like Fish Cakes & battered sausages etc. A full Thai menu is also available, we will shortly be offering take away and delivery.

Thank you

Jolly-Friar2aaa.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• China Garden

• Edge

• Cnut the lesser

• Chris P Bacon

Thanks mate I will be in that area at the end of september and I def check it out.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

great news.."chippy tea" as me old mam would say ha ha ..place looks spotless sir..good luck

Thanks for your post. I am always looking for good fish and chips. Perhaps you'd like to post some pics of your food. Lastly, your restaurant looks so clean!

Here's mine from yesterday.

030820101231pa.jpg030820101233pa2.jpg

Firstly, the place is immaculate, certainly on a par with Goose's - good aircon and TV.

Service also excellent.

I ordered the 250 gm Cod, which was the only size offered, at 190 baht.

There are other, cheaper options of different fish, but this was the only Cod.

To put this in perspective, 250 gm is gannet sized.

For Brits, F&C shops in UK generally offer portions 2-4 oz. - this is almost 9 oz.

I can eat big and I was hungry, but this was really too big even for me. It was a meal by itself really.

I would have thought a smaller option would be a good idea.

That price is for the fish only i.e. add on chips and mushy peas.

Luckily I only ordered the small chips (40 baht) and I left some. The peas were 35 baht.

I didn't order a drink, but a glass of iced water arrived anyway which was not charged for. I don't know if that's normal practice or they took pity on me.

Tartare Sauce included.

On the face of it the prices are highish, roughly on a par with Simon's a Goose's but remember that's for Cod and not Dory, which most of the low priced options are. Dory is OK btw, but not as meaty and a milder taste imo.

Quality:-

The Cod - I would give this an 8 (9s and 10s are rarely found outside Lincolnshire or Yorkshire UK). Taking into account the size, it was the best I've had in Pattaya.

The batter was light and crispy (unlike Pig & Whistle's concrete coating).

Without taking the size into account, it was probably a 7 alongside Simon's and Goose's. To put that in perspective I'd say NeeRoy's is a 2/3 and P & G a 5(at best) - for the fish.

The Chips - didn't really work I'm afraid. They were real and they were OK, but they were on the soggy side. Potatoes here can be a problem but I suspect these had been blanched for ease of final frying (not certain).

It's a good idea and can work brilliantly, but oil temperature has to be high or they absorb too much and don't crisp. If I'm wrong it must be watery potatoes but still oil temperature too low. They were also not very hot and I suspect were put out before the fish was ready. You could easily go another day and they'd be excellent.

The Peas - were mushy. No problem there - portion OK and slump value correct. The only place I know that can really mess up mushy peas is NeeRoy's.

That may sound super critical, but that's me.

It was a damn good meal and I'd thoroughly recommend it. :GoldenSmile1:

Looks good mate, will give it a try when I am there next

I will give it a try in 22 days :)

Improving one Issan girls cash flow , one cash grant at a time !

looks nice place,good luck.

Staying on Soi Lenkee in three weeks' time, so will definitely pop in at some stage. Looking forward to the take away option.

The restaurant looks great.

Nice detailed review from Mr Edge makes the food sound appetising.

Love good ol' fish n' chips. Will try hit the place next time I'm in town.

Good luck with the venture.

P4P. C4C. Soft Club. Skank Club. Club Bareback. Because if it's worth fucking it's worth fucking properly.

Back in employment. Korando's Bar, Soi Buakhao 15. 

Webp.net-resizeimage hh.jpg Webp.net-resizeimage bs.jpg Webp.net-resizeimage rm.jpg

Bagel and His Adventures in Thailand

My Day Working At Quicky Bar. A Romantic Encounter In A Sattahip Warehouse. Mr Pringles & His Adventures In Thailand.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just back from Pattaya last Tuesday and was in The Jolly Friar twice and excellent both times. I had the battered cod the first time and the breaded fish the 2nd time. Tartare Sauce was v good as well

I have used this place 3 days in a row, great food, happy with everything.. only one complain.. there are no saveloy's!

I love good fish & chips, will be sure to look in soon.

The Jolly Friar? And the rest of the staff are chipmonks ...?

Went here again last night and it was as good as usual,I had the Cornish Pastie and it was huge,one small problem that the waitress sorted out very efficiently and without any drama.The Mrs had her usual Thai food and she loved it again.

They're doing a good promotion there too now,I'll not say here what it is but it's a good idea in my opinion and will keep me going there.

a few of our customers ordered a takeaway about a week ago and it was a thumbs up ,, good taste, fair price,

Posted Image

Simon +66 (0) 874406060

Josh +66 (0) 820889263

Fun Golfing days /Bar Crawls to The Darkside and Banchang/ Hotel / Bar / Diner

Email : [email protected]

http://www.the-i-rovers.com/

Up to date happenings and Live Sports Schedule add us on Facebook

LIVE WEBCAM http://lk-metro.com

VOTED BEST LIVE SPORTS BAR IN PATTAYA

i-rovers often Copied NEVER Equalled

All room enquirys please email: [email protected] LK METRO WEBCAMS HERE www.lk-metro.com

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the great feedback. We will endeavour to keep up the quality of the food and levels of service. We are operating a fantastic promotion "Buy Meals 10 Get 1 Free"

The food looks real good and i will come in when i am next in town.

I have never gone to bed with an ugly women but i have woken up with a few..

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the great feedback. We will endeavour to keep up the quality of the food and levels of service. We are operating a fantastic promotion "Buy Meals 10 Get 1 Free"

Flake and chips too?-- next thing u tell u are selling South Melbourne market dim sims and spring rolls (an aussie Melbourne thing) - that's it I'm moving over full time :GoldenSmile1:

Flake and chips too?-- next thing u tell u are selling South Melbourne market dim sims and spring rolls (an aussie Melbourne thing) - that's it I'm moving over full time :GoldenSmile1:

Fantastic. . . I have lived here for 7 years and loved every minute of it! Ian

I ordered the cod and chips there. The chips come in 3 sizes.

Small, Medium and Large. The day I ordered I went for the large portion of chips (Must have been very hungry)Wow talk about large portions. There was enough there for at least 3 people. All served up with a massive piece of Cod. The food was excellent and the staff were friendly. Next time i'm in Patts I will be going back the JF for sure.

Any chance of a savaloy appearing on the menu?

Cheers...