IGNORED

Warning for those traveling to AC, Philippines

Viper1

For those who may be traveling to Angeles City there is some very disturbing news. A Filipino is targeting Expats in the Angeles City Aera...Five dead in current killing spree and 9 dead total.

SEE LINK BELOW

http://www.angelescity.com/index.php?newsID=177

AC is more violent then Pat's we've known this for years... but it's no reason not to go there. Keep a level head and you'll be fine.

Trying to Stay Out Of Trouble, But It Isn't Working

So who is killing expats & why ???? :Circle_Sharks:

That's some bad news, hope they catch'em soon,

by the way did you notice the exchange rate for the pound, it's huge,

might have to pop down there one day..

One of the familys of the victims is doing an appeal for cash so they can get there dads body flown back to the UK. which begs the question where is his money?

Hi All

Disturbing news, but every city has its own share of psycho's - my home city included (including I suspect, several of my neibours). Just try & be vigilant & take standard precautions.

Anyway, I recently returned from my first visit to AC - comparison trip report pending - & I was not shot at. I felt relatively safe - main danger was crossing highway intersection at SM Shopping Mall. Traffic coming at you from all angles. Also stay off the many dark unlit side streets at night is probably good advice.

One thing to be aware of, which I was not, is the airport departure tax at Ninoy International Airport in Manila. 750 pesos or $17 cash. My assertation that my understanding that my KLM all-inclusive airport tax tickets covered this fell on profoundly deaf ears. These tax guys were not budging. Incidentally, this is in that part of the airport after passport control, but before duty free. It's unclear what happens if you genuinely don't have the cash...

I remember on my first visit to Bangkok in October 2006 being hit with a departure tax of 700b which was a complete surprise to me just before entering passport control. Never been asked for this again, so don't know if it was a local airport scam.

Tone

One thing to be aware of, which I was not, is the airport departure tax at Ninoy International Airport in Manila. 750 pesos or $17 cash. My assertation that my understanding that my KLM all-inclusive airport tax tickets covered this fell on profoundly deaf ears. These tax guys were not budging. Incidentally, this is in that part of the airport after passport control, but before duty free. It's unclear what happens if you genuinely don't have the cash...

I remember on my first visit to Bangkok in October 2006 being hit with a departure tax of 700b which was a complete surprise to me just before entering passport control. Never been asked for this again, so don't know if it was a local airport scam.

It's not a scam, the airport taxes in the Philippines are not included in the ticket. You can see this if you book with Cebu Pacific for example, where they add the airport tax for the incoming flight from Bangkok on your price, but not on the the return flight. Manila is 750 Peso, Clark 600 Peso.