Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Advice on Vietnam

dawsonuk

Hi

I am planning a trip to Vietnam next month - flights are booked but still need hotel - and transfer between Hanoi & Ha Longbay. We are taking our 16 month baby with us - so need somewhere pretty decent.

Any tips and recommendations would be really helpful.

Also should I take dollars as my currency?

Thanks

Dawson

Beware the MonoBrow

Hi

I am planning a trip to Vietnam next month - flights are booked but still need hotel - and transfer between Hanoi & Ha Longbay. We are taking our 16 month baby with us - so need somewhere pretty decent.

Thanks

Dawson

Hi mate

I stayed at the Melia hotel whilst there back in 2007 and thoroughly recommend it, however being 5 star we did get a very good rate over the net and booked on the "last minute site" whilst in Nah Trang, further south.

Its located in a good quiet area and has the best breakfast I've ever had, you will be gob smacked for choices. As for transfer to Halong Bay I'm sure the hotel can help in that department, they organised a day trip for us to Halong Bay.

I travelled with Aus$ and didnt have a prob with the exchange.

Hope this helps

Hi

Thanks

Dawson

Sorry don't have a recommendation for a hotel, but if your staying in the 'old town' and you get somewhere quiet, make sure that you don't get a room at the front of the street. Vietnamese sure know how to use the horns on their Scooters (at all hours of the day and night)!

Virtually all hotels can organise a trip / transfer to Ha Long bay (and will probably try to sell you one when you are checking in) and there are numerous travel agencies offering the service as well. If you have a little one, be mindful that the journey is at least 4 hours and can be much longer dependant on traffic.

The hard currency in Vietnam is either US dollars (make sure that you have lots of small bills) and Vietnamese dong. I tended to use dong for small purchases i.e. for purchases up a couple of dollars, everything else was paid for in U$D.

bb69

I was in Hanoi a few weeks ago, on my way to Pattaya. I stayed at Hanoi Eleganace hotel 4. There are 5 of them and rooms range from probably 30 - 50 $US. The people working at the one I was at have a real grasp of customer service and capitalism--they work their butts off. You can book direct or at Agoda. I booked enough days that they gave me a free pick up from the airport. I originally tried to book at hotel #3 but it was full for part of my stay, so they suggested I take a room at #4, which I did.

My room was very nice. The hotel is fairly new. Breakfast was included and great. The room came with a computer in it, hooked to the internet--this was very useful as I got an e-mail the day before I left that my plane flight out was changed. Every day they provided 2 bottles of drinking water and a complimentary bowl of fruit.

The hotel can arrange tours and transportation for you. This may cost a little more than finding something on your own, but you can be sure all arrangements are in place and the travel company is OK. I had them book a one day trip to HaLong Bay and also a city tour. I did this before I left the US, so everything was set to go when I arrived. I also got them to take me to the airport when I left.

The hotel preferred to be paid in $US. I changed some money for local Dong and used the dong for everything else, but most places take $US and many touristy places post their prices that way.

Hope this helps, feel free to contact me with any other questions while I still remember details.

I think everbody has covered it. You're spoilt for choice re hotels so it depends on your budget really. Having an infant with you I can imagine you'll want to have things pre-booked, but it's all very easy to sort on the fly.

If you want a bit of a flavour of HaNoi and HaLong Bay take a look at the early part of my Trip Report HERE.

The action starts at Post #27

Have a good time.