Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

iphone from Tukcom or Big C shops?

Mike Asia

friend of mine bought an i-phone from one of the phone shops above Big C. Still working fine after 18 months. At first he had some type of SIM adapter on it and then he got it unlocked.

Are these 'real' iphones from Tukcom or a copy? Where are they getting these because I don't think apple sells unlocked i-phones in Thailand. Thinking about getting one but not sure if it is better to buy in Thailand or a used one on ebay.

Mike...

I am not sure about the validity of the phones there, but I can recommend that you buy your phone in Hong Kong.

An Air Asia flight to Shenzhen, China from BKK costs about 5000 baht return, and Hong Kong is a 2 hour bus ride from SZ airport (500 baht). Besides being a wicked place to visit, the phones in HK are much cheaper (and real) than anywhere else I have seen. The unlocked 16 GB 3GS was 3600 HK Dollars (~$550 USD) at Xmas when I went. Once the 4G comes out, those prices will drop into the $250-$300 range.

Something to think about...

I bought an i-phone copy from tukcom .I have had no problems with it in 8 months.

But when i got home i found you cant put new apps on it. Which what having an i-phone is all about.

You can still use two sim cards with it though.

friend of mine bought an i-phone from one of the phone shops above Big C. Still working fine after 18 months. At first he had some type of SIM adapter on it and then he got it unlocked.

Are these 'real' iphones from Tukcom or a copy? Where are they getting these because I don't think apple sells unlocked i-phones in Thailand. Thinking about getting one but not sure if it is better to buy in Thailand or a used one on ebay.

Bought my Iphone in March this year from True shop in North Pattaya which is in the Tesco shopping centre on North Pattaya road.

I believe mine is 100% genuine as it is unlikely True would sell copies as they are a very large company in Thailand. Have had no problems so far with updates through Itunes and phone is working well. In fact it is the best phone I have ever had by far.

I would be hesitant to buy elsewhere as warranty may not be honoured and you really have no idea if phone is genuine or not unless you buy through True. Prices for Iphones at Tukcom were only slightly cheaper than at True anyway.

I am sure more knowledgeable bms will help to guide you further.

Bought my Iphone in March this year from True shop in North Pattaya which is in the Tesco shopping centre on North Pattaya road.

I believe mine is 100% genuine as it is unlikely True would sell copies as they are a very large company in Thailand. Have had no problems so far with updates through Itunes and phone is working well. In fact it is the best phone I have ever had by far.

I would be hesitant to buy elsewhere as warranty may not be honoured and you really have no idea if phone is genuine or not unless you buy through True. Prices for Iphones at Tukcom were only slightly cheaper than at True anyway.

How much did you pay, TLC?

is it unlocked or locked with a contract?

How much did you pay, TLC?

[/quo

I paid 30595 baht for the 3GS 32GB model.

• 10 months later...

I would doubt and aware of this small shops especially that the price is slightly lower. Even if its not a copy oyu can still have some problems with guarranty. I would also recommend to buy iphone in Hong Kong cause is the cheapest in the world and orginal for sure

...I don't think apple sells unlocked i-phones in Thailand...

You're right - they don't sell unlocked phones anywhere and don't approve of jail-breaking either. Up to you if you buy into that philosophy. I would be deeply suspicious of buying any phone in Thailand, the bargain price should confirm any doubts. Like any bargain, be it watch, computer, camera or phone - you may get lucky. However, get it home and watch how well the warranty performs.