IGNORED

O Visa and VAT refunds

chaang

Hi Guys,

I am looking at getting an O Visa and wanted to know if i can still claim back VAT on goods purchased in Thailand when i leave after the first 3 months and then return to Thailand. Basically I am looking to buy an expensive camera which i can buy in the UK but the prices are similar in Thailand - and if i can get 7% off would amount to a fair bit.

Appreciate any help

Cheers,

Chaang

to get the vat back you have to buy it from one of the shops with the vat refund for tourists stickers in the window and get the form from them all corectly filled in and it is usually for permanent export dont know if they would catch you bringing it back in to thailand thou,they might be a bit wise too you if your just doing your visa run and not returning to your home country.

Edited by miles stewart

to get the vat back you have to buy it from one of the shops with the vat refund for tourists stickers in the window and get the form from them all corectly filled in and it is usually for permanent export dont know if they would catch you bringing it back in to thailand thou,they might be a bit wise too you if your just doing your visa run and not returning to your home country.

Thanks for the reply.

I claimed back before on a VOA and understand that you can only claim back in certain places - like Bangkok airport.Just wanted to know if anyone has tried during an O Visa run at the Airport.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply.

I claimed back before on a VOA and understand that you can only claim back in certain places - like Bangkok airport.Just wanted to know if anyone has tried during an O Visa run at the Airport.

I have got a refund at the airport when leaving on a non-imm passport.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

VAT Refund

Travelers will be qualified for a VAT Refund if you meet the following conditions:

blue00_next.gif
You are a non-Thai resident and not staying in Thailand up to
180 days in a current

tax year
;

blue00_next.gif
You are not a pilot or a cabin crews of any airline departing Thailand; and

blue00_next.gif
You leave Thailand via an international airport.

Proof of export is required if you wish to claim a refund of the tax paid on eligible goods. To claim for a VAT refund, you should, first of all, contact Customs officials at the airport before checking in. The following documents must be available for inspection by Customs officials:

blue00_next.gif
A passport;

blue00_next.gif
VAT Refund Application Form (VAT Form 10);

blue00_next.gif
An original receipt; and,

blue00_next.gif
Goods that go with the original receipts.

If the declarations for VAT refund are correct, Customs officials will sign and stamp the VAT Refund Application Form, affix a sticker to the luggage containing the eligible goods, and return every thing to you. You need to present the VAT Application Form approved by Customs to the Revenue officials after clearing immigration for a VAT refund. If you claim VAT refunds for small and expensive items e.g. jewelry, gold, watches, glasses, pens, etc., please have these items available for inspection at the VAT Refund Office again.

Also please allow extra time at the airport to have your application stamped and eligible goods verified, keeping in mind that other passengers will also requesting these services. You should arrive at the airport even earlier than the time recommended by your airline to be at your boarding gate on time.

Thats off the Thai customs site but there is also a couple of other sites that say that you have to buy the good in the last 60 days of your stay...

VAT Refund

Travelers will be qualified for a VAT Refund if you meet the following conditions:

blue00_next.gif
You are a non-Thai resident and not staying in Thailand up to
180 days in a current

tax year
;

blue00_next.gif
You are not a pilot or a cabin crews of any airline departing Thailand; and

blue00_next.gif
You leave Thailand via an international airport.

Proof of export is required if you wish to claim a refund of the tax paid on eligible goods. To claim for a VAT refund, you should, first of all, contact Customs officials at the airport before checking in. The following documents must be available for inspection by Customs officials:

blue00_next.gif
A passport;

blue00_next.gif
VAT Refund Application Form (VAT Form 10);

blue00_next.gif
An original receipt; and,

blue00_next.gif
Goods that go with the original receipts.

If the declarations for VAT refund are correct, Customs officials will sign and stamp the VAT Refund Application Form, affix a sticker to the luggage containing the eligible goods, and return every thing to you. You need to present the VAT Application Form approved by Customs to the Revenue officials after clearing immigration for a VAT refund. If you claim VAT refunds for small and expensive items e.g. jewelry, gold, watches, glasses, pens, etc., please have these items available for inspection at the VAT Refund Office again.

Also please allow extra time at the airport to have your application stamped and eligible goods verified, keeping in mind that other passengers will also requesting these services. You should arrive at the airport even earlier than the time recommended by your airline to be at your boarding gate on time.

Thats off the Thai customs site but there is also a couple of other sites that say that you have to buy the good in the last 60 days of your stay...

Thanks for the info. Does that mean you are not eligible for a vat refund if you have a 1 year visa ? or could i buy the item and then leave after 60 days and return? How will they know i got a VAT refund ? Its not stamped on the passport.MMMMM , maybe its linked to immigration and they will nab me if i return or stay longer than 180 days ? Still unsure about what to do ? The camera gear is the same price in the UK ( cheaper in Thailand with the VAT ) but i would also prefer the Thai warranty if i am going to be there for a year .

I have got a refund at the airport when leaving on a non-imm passport.

thanks for the reply !did you spend longer than 180 days in country and or did you return to thailand on the same visa? Just wondering if they keep an eye out for anyone returning after claiming back the VAT.

A foreigner who lives in Thailand for more than 180 days in a tax year (the calendar year) is considered a Thai resident for tax purposes.

So if i arrive in august does that mean i will be staying for the only 4 months of that tax year / calendar year anyway and will be able to claim VAT back ?

what is the camera gear your after,what brand,there's a couple of really good high quality camera shops in MBK who do good discounts for cash sales

i know it wont help much if your still in the uk and unable to go look at them,

it might be better to buy in the uk surely a good quality camera will come with a world wide guarantee.

not only that what are the penalties if they catch you and think you are trying to fiddle the vat in Thailand,would they cancel your visa for doing it.

7% aint really worth taking any chances on getting caught,if its a £2000 camera its only about £140 back and for the risks and hassle that might be involved on your return flight might not make it worth while.

we all want and need to save as much as possible but just weigh up any possible risk if it dont work out.

let us know if it dose work when you do it.

what is the camera gear your after,what brand,there's a couple of really good high quality camera shops in MBK who do good discounts for cash sales

i know it wont help much if your still in the uk and unable to go look at them,

it might be better to buy in the uk surely a good quality camera will come with a world wide guarantee.

not only that what are the penalties if they catch you and think you are trying to fiddle the vat in Thailand,would they cancel your visa for doing it.

7% aint really worth taking any chances on getting caught,if its a £2000 camera its only about £140 back and for the risks and hassle that might be involved on your return flight might not make it worth while.

we all want and need to save as much as possible but just weigh up any possible risk if it dont work out.

let us know if it dose work when you do it.

I was planning to buy the gear from fotofile in Mbk. Unfortunately camera bodies do not have a worldwide guarantee - only lenses do !

Will have a ponder and keep you guys updated on how it all works out.

I was planning to buy the gear from fotofile in Mbk. Unfortunately camera bodies do not have a worldwide guarantee - only lenses do !

Will have a ponder and keep you guys updated on how it all works out.

I'm really surprised you can't get it cheaper in the UK. I know you can get it much cheaper in the USA. The inexpensive gear you see in MBK is "gray market." Most of it is intended for sale in the US and the warranties are only good in the US. I bought a compact digital from one of the shops at MBK. They were honest and said that the warranty was not valid in Thailand but that they would give me a 1-year warranty through their shop. Fortunately I never needed it. Just a side-note, I think the 2nd battery they sold me was not genuine Canon. It looks legit and had a hologram and everything but after 2 uses it stopped working.

I'm really surprised you can't get it cheaper in the UK. I know you can get it much cheaper in the USA. The inexpensive gear you see in MBK is "gray market." Most of it is intended for sale in the US and the warranties are only good in the US. I bought a compact digital from one of the shops at MBK. They were honest and said that the warranty was not valid in Thailand but that they would give me a 1-year warranty through their shop. Fortunately I never needed it. Just a side-note, I think the 2nd battery they sold me was not genuine Canon. It looks legit and had a hologram and everything but after 2 uses it stopped working.

Fotofile is the place to go for authentic gear and international warranties. There are 2 shops at MBK. One small crampt place on the 1st floor and the other , newer larger shop on the 3rd floor.

Unfortunately as indicated above , because of the exchange rate Thailand is marginally cheaper even without the VAT refund. Also with camera bodies you only get local warranty not an international warranty. if i am going to be spending a while in Thailand it makes more sennse to buy in Thailand and get the Thai warranty, rather than in the UK and have to ship the camera home if there are any problems.