IGNORED

Speaking "Isaan"

boro43

Hi guys,

From browsing this forum, I've picked up a couple of Isaan phrases (not Thai) that I have used with some of the bargirls when they say they are from Isaan e.g.

bo pen yang dor

Sow wow

bakseeda

The reaction whenever I have used them has been more than positive, so I would love to learn a few more.

Would appreciate any suggestions from the seasoned members on this site.

In central and northern Issan they speak a form of Lao.

In southern Isaan such as Surin they speak Khmer.

Edited by Craig_ozz

Farang = Walking ATM. TG's push the right buttons and money comes out. PIN = BBBJ

Here are some more. Jao suu iyang = What's your name, jao ayuu thawdai = How old are you, khoopjai laay laay = Thank you very much, iyang= You what? sabai dee boo = How are you? pai sai = where are you going?

Men boo = you understand/is that so. phai nia, phai nee = who.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Here are some more. Jao suu iyang = What's your name, jao ayuu thawdai = How old are you, khoopjai laay laay = Thank you very much, iyang= You what? sabai dee boo = How are you? pai sai = where are you going?

Men boo = you understand/is that so. phai nia, phai nee = who.

sabai dee boo = How are you?

Men boo

There are many different dialects, but I would think that this is usually baw, not boo

For "Is that so?" I also hear Men Dti

phai nia, phai nee = who.

I haven't heard these ones, for who? I usually hear Poodai

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one

I thought I love you is "khoi huk chau"

a useful one at the bar is "hawng nam yu sai" - where is the toilet

Farang = Walking ATM. TG's push the right buttons and money comes out. PIN = BBBJ

Hi guys,

From browsing this forum, I've picked up a couple of Isaan phrases (not Thai) that I have used with some of the bargirls when they say they are from Isaan e.g.

bo pen yang dor

Sow wow

bakseeda

The reaction whenever I have used them has been more than positive, so I would love to learn a few more.

Would appreciate any suggestions from the seasoned members on this site.

bo pen yang dor is actually pronounced more like Baw bpen eyang dawk

Bakseeda is the isaan word for Guava. The Thai word for guava is Farang. Sometimes as a bit of wordplay and as a joke the word Bakseeda may be used in place of farang when referring to a foreigner. Maybe it is different in different parts of Isaan, but here I have never heard a foreigner referred to as Bakseeda, it is always Farang.

Bak is the prefix for many fruits in the Isaan language. Seeda alone means guava

Bak is also an over familiar and often insulting prefix when added before your name

And guess what! Bak also means penis in the Isaan dialect!

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one

sabai dee boo = How are you?

Men boo

There are many different dialects, but I would think that this is usually baw, not boo

For "Is that so?" I also hear Men Dti

phai nia, phai nee = who.

I haven't heard these ones, for who? I usually hear Poodai

As you know the only acurate way to transliterate from Thai or Laos script is via one of the specially created phonetic systems. For use on the forums I prefer to just write whatever sounds right at the time because it's unlikely that the person my post is directed to will know that same phonetic system. Also I'll often just repeat their spelling to avoid confusion with the focus on easy communication rather than acuracy. The only spellings I take seriously are the original Thai/Laos script ones. On the rest I prefer to be flexible, as long as they know what I mean and vice versa all is well with me.

Like you say there are many local variations and I've also heard phuu dai and phai nia, they are all valid but I got the impression that another BM just wanted a few Laos phrases to add to his repetoire.

koy mattyao = i love you.

That's what i used to hear from Isaan girls, lol

I've also heard 'ai mak ther' for I love you. Many local variations.

bo pen yang dor is actually pronounced more like Baw bpen eyang dawk

Bakseeda is the isaan word for Guava. The Thai word for guava is Farang. Sometimes as a bit of wordplay and as a joke the word Bakseeda may be used in place of farang when referring to a foreigner. Maybe it is different in different parts of Isaan, but here I have never heard a foreigner referred to as Bakseeda, it is always Farang.

Bak is the prefix for many fruits in the Isaan language. Seeda alone means guava

Bak is also an over familiar and often insulting prefix when added before your name

And guess what! Bak also means penis in the Isaan dialect!

I asked my thai wife who can speak lao and she says Bakseeda actually does mean foreigner in Lao or for fun can be called Mister Guava. Bak is penis and she says for fun people use BAK HAM NOI in referring to small dick man. I think shes talking about me LOL

Edited by Craig_ozz

My wife is Isaan, struggling to learn Thai let alone Isaan, only thing I know is Sep Laay Laay which is I believe the Isaan version of Very Delicious or words to that effect.

:Circle_Sharks:

Bam Bam

That which doesn't kill me only makes me stronger

I give up ! Hard enough for me to speak english...

Isaan is from an other galaxy :Chokdee:

But I would love understand all what the BG says about me, without telling them I can speak Thai... how funny it would be (or wouldn't be...)

My wife is Isaan, struggling to learn Thai let alone Isaan, only thing I know is Sep Laay Laay which is I believe the Isaan version of Very Delicious or words to that effect.

Bam Bam

I usually put a 'duh' on the end, Sep Laay Laay duh. A little more country.

:P

But I would love understand all what the BG says about me, without telling them I can speak Thai... how funny it would be (or wouldn't be...)

LOL - might be better off not knowing. They might be saying "that farang smell like dead buffalo". :Greetings9:

As you know the only acurate way to transliterate from Thai or Laos script is via one of the specially created phonetic systems. For use on the forums I prefer to just write whatever sounds right at the time because it's unlikely that the person my post is directed to will know that same phonetic system. Also I'll often just repeat their spelling to avoid confusion with the focus on easy communication rather than acuracy. The only spellings I take seriously are the original Thai/Laos script ones. On the rest I prefer to be flexible, as long as they know what I mean and vice versa all is well with me.

Like you say there are many local variations and I've also heard phuu dai and phai nia, they are all valid but I got the impression that another BM just wanted a few Laos phrases to add to his repetoire.

You are spot on Dr. Winston ! I just want to learn a few phrases that I can use with the bargirls just for a bit of fun, so the phonetic pronunciations would be exactly what I need. Thanks to the previous posters who have put me on the right track in that regard. Slang phrases are even better as it really confuses the girls !!

I've found that using these phrases can be a "double edged sword" as the bargirls are convinced that I have a Thai girlfriend or have been married to a Thai and nothing could be further from the truth! I am a regular visitor to Patts and really love it. I have a couple of standard Thai phrases that I've learned just to let them know that I'm not a "newbie" and am therefore not open to the pitfalls. I don't make them any the wiser re the fact that I've just learned off a few phrases !! :GoldenSmile1:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far. :001_Thank_You5:

I usually put a 'duh' on the end, Sep Laay Laay duh. A little more country.

i believe EE LEE DUR.. is like mak mak in thai..

chop ee lee dur... like a lot..

i believe EE LEE DUR.. is like mak mak in thai..

chop ee lee dur... like a lot..

That's correct. Saap ee lee = very deliscious, Khoy mak jao ee lee= I love you lots but they also use laay or laay laay, for example khoop jai laay laay = thank you very much.

• 1 month later...

I give up ! Hard enough for me to speak english...

Isaan is from an other galaxy :Chokdee:

Or not. Maybe they tell nasty things about you. Besides they can almost smell when you can speak and understand Thai. Most times they can see at your bodylanguage that you understands them.

And when they see a farang that understands them, the fun is in most times over as they watch out what they say. Or the bad talk has just began, or is that just me speaking bad with the girls!

A good girl gives you happiness and a bad girl gives you experience both are essential in life so enjoy every girlfriend!

Koy hak jow = i love you

koy ket hurt jow= i miss you

yoo sai = where are you

bye da lak = go market

Jow seu ee-nyany = whats your name

mak ah-hahn= like food

seb bor= food tasty?

koy tow laeo = i old already

laow = she/ he

moo jow = 2 or more people. i.e moo jow bpy dta-laht = have use been to the market?

lai lai = many many

bpy sy mah? = where you been

nar kow= rice field

het ee-nyang mah? what have you been doing?

dee lai= very good

jang por gan der = see you later

lar gorn= goodbye

yaht norn= want sleep

jow mak an dy/ = you like which one?

woow ee-nyang= what you speak?

ow= want

ow beer= want beer

bpen nyang?= why

mow low bor? are you drunk?

muan bor? having fun?

bor hoo? dont know?

theres just a few!!!!!

Most times they can see at your bodylanguage that you understands them.

Yep ! I don't speak a word of Thai or Isaan, but I can make them think I can speak ! Just by the way I answer "Farengset" when they ask me where I come from, they always think I can speak Thai after that. funny...

• 2 weeks later...

Koy hak jow = i love you

koy ket hurt jow= i miss you

yoo sai = where are you

bye da lak = go market

Jow seu ee-nyany = whats your name

mak ah-hahn= like food

seb bor= food tasty?

koy tow laeo = i old already

laow = she/ he

moo jow = 2 or more people. i.e moo jow bpy dta-laht = have use been to the market?

lai lai = many many

bpy sy mah? = where you been

nar kow= rice field

het ee-nyang mah? what have you been doing?

dee lai= very good

jang por gan der = see you later

lar gorn= goodbye

yaht norn= want sleep

jow mak an dy/ = you like which one?

woow ee-nyang= what you speak?

ow= want

ow beer= want beer

bpen nyang?= why

mow low bor? are you drunk?

muan bor? having fun?

bor hoo? dont know?

theres just a few!!!!!

Thanks for that. Heading back to Patts at the end of the month and will hopefully have learned a few of these by that stage.

Nice list of phrases Jonny5. Had trouble focusing on them though given the nice set of titties starring at me.

A good phrase to know in Isaan Thai (or is it Isan Thai, or Esan Thai or Essan Thai, or what?) is 'Bor hoo jang leui' which emphatically means 'I don't know at all!'. A pretty useful phrase that seems to always raise a giggle when used- don't really know why. Can use it as a genuine resposne to a question or simply as a way of injecting a bit of fun into the old conversation. Do you love me? Bor hoo jang leui! Will I see you again? Bor hoo jang leui! Is the food tasty? Bor hoo jang leui!

Will second the chap who recommended the Speak Isaan Thai book and DVD. It's a really good structured introduction to the language, has lots of relevant words and phrases, a simple to read phonetic that is supported by the dvd that has all the words and phrases of the book so that you can learn accurate pronuniciation and tones. They do a Thai version too. I have both. They're worth checking out.

Btw, the website has a page highlighting the major differences between Thai, Isaan Thai and Lao which may add to the informed comments already made on this thread about the language.Link here:http://www.learnspeakthai.com/qaisaanvthaivlao.htm

Was that helpful? Bor hoo jang leui!

Edited by Bakseeda

Guest Harlequin

Bai Num (num as in number) Gan Bor- I want to go (out) with you

Bai See Gan Bor - I want to fuck you (yes, a bit crude)

Ma See Mher (Mair) Mung - for when you want your Isaan gf to scratch your eyes out and re-arrange your goolies - your mother fucks dogs - crude, very - but, a not uncommon insult