IGNORED

no visa fee - visa on arrival

shiv73

read some where that the visa fee 1000 B is exempted from may to march 2011 for the visa on arrival catogory.

is it right.

there is never been a fee for the 30 day visa on arrival.

Farang = Walking ATM. TG's push the right buttons and money comes out. PIN = BBBJ

there is never been a fee for the 30 day visa on arrival.

There is a feee for a visa on arrival (VOA). Many western countries get a visa waiver stamp that is valid for up to 30 says. There is no fee for this entry stamp - but it is not a visa.

Countries like China, India, Taiwan, Poland, Russia, etc are countries that use the VOA system, as opposed to the visa waiver system many people with passports from western countries are able to use.

Thailand has decided to wave the fee for tourist visa's to try and bring in more tourists due to the low number of torist right now (financial crisis - followed up by red-shirt protests).

Here is the announcement from the Thai government:

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2656.php?id=34696

The Royal Thai Government has extended the tourist visa exemption scheme that had expired in March 2010. As a result of the decision, foreign citizens that qualify for a tourist visa are not subjected to a visa fee. The exemption scheme will be in effect from 11 May 2010 until 31 March 2011 (the fee exemption is not extended to other types of visas).

Here is the wording from the Thai embassy in the UK - where the specificaly say VOA are free as well:

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/newversion/visa/visa_main.html

All foreigners who apply for Tourist Visa at the Royal Thai Embassies and the Royal Thai Consulates-General worldwide, including eligible foreigners who apply for Visa on Arrival at designated checkpoints, will be exempted from Tourist Visa fee from 11 May B.E. 2553 (2010) to 31 March B.E. 2554(2011)

Such arrangement is for Tourist Visa only

• 3 weeks later...

read some where that the visa fee 1000 B is exempted from may to march 2011 for the visa on arrival catogory.

is it right.

I am here in Los Angeles. CA. Here is what you saw. No charge ( normal $35.00 charge ) for the 60 day Thai visa. We get to enterthe country with out it, but that is only for 30 days for US citizen's. I plan on staying around 38 days. And I read that unless I do a visa run ( leave Thailand say to Laos or Cambodia then re- enter Thailand) and get another 30 day's before I over stay my first 30 days,or pay a fine possibly 1000 baht per day. So if I go online to the Thai consulate website down load a simple one page application

get two 2x3 passport type photos and take them to the consulate with my passport before 10am on say a Monday, I can have it mailed to me ( for a fee ) or pick it up by 10 am the next day ( free of any charges what so ever ) Then I don't have to worry about the extra cost and time of doing visa runs or pay fines for over staying my 30 days.

Edited by LBL51

is it right.

Hi... I decided to get a Double Entry Visa in Australia prior to arriving in Thailand this trip.

It was a quick and simple process...Complete The Form(downloadable on line). Completed the form with 2 Passport Pics, and my Passport

and I think it was $60 AUS (or $90) and dropped this at the Thai Consulate in Adelaide....picked up my stamped Passport 2days later.

In Pattaya a fellow mongerer advised me that if I went to Immigration, Jomtien(Soi 5)just before the expiry of 60 days..and fill in another form which I did (cost 1900baht, needed 1 passport photo, and copy of passport and departure form and visa page).

This took about 30 mins...

Since I have a double entry Visa, means prior to end of my 90th day....I can do a Visa run...no need to fly out and back....

I then have a further 60 days...(5months so far) and if I do the Jomtien thing again....I get a further 30 days...total of 6 months.

May sound like a lot of trouble....But, there is very little involved....and I get to Stay in

Thailand for 6 months..... I still had to pay the Visa Fees...

I was only planning on staying 4 months ( including a trip to Angeles...so wont need to do the boarder run anyway).

I hope this helps.....and if there is an easier way of getting a 6 month stay...short of the "retirement visa", be great to know.

Cheers, H888

is it right.

30 days is free... No need to apply for visa.. Stamped on your passport at your arrival.

60 days tourist visa is £40 or €45 , Apply in your own country, Takes less than two weeks to have it return... That £40 had been waived til march 2011 but you have to pay £15 for admin fee..

Edited by jocky king

30 days is free... No need to apply for visa.. Stamped on your passport at your arrival.

Depends on what country you are from. Most western countries are part of the visa waiver program and therefor do not require a visa - they'll get the 30 day permission to stay stamp. However many Eastern European and West Asian countries are not part of the visa waiver program, but instead are part of the Visa On Arrival (VOA) program:

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2491

That being said it's interesting the OP asked about the fees for VOA but it looks like he might be from Bahrain which is part of the visa waiver system - meaning he would not require a visa for 30 days or less?