Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Canterbury Tales Guesthouse

Daveo

he Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr.

@ Canterbury Tales Bookshop / Book exchange / Cafe, Pattaya...
49330.jpg

In The Angel of Darkness, Caleb Carr brings back the vivid world of his bestselling The Alienist but with a twist, this story is told by the former street urchin Stevie Taggert, whose rough life has given him wisdom beyond his years.
Thus New York City, and the groundbreaking alienist Dr. Kreizler himself, are seen anew.

It is June 1897.
A year has passed since Dr. Laszlo Kreizler, a pioneer in forensic psychiatry, tracked down the brutal serial killer John Beecham with the help of a team of trusted companions and a revolutionary application of the principles of his discipline.
Kreizler and his friends high living crime reporter John Schuyler Moore; indomitable, derringer toting Sara Howard; the brilliant (and bickering) detective brothers Marcus and Lucius Isaacson, powerful and compassionate Cyrus Montrose and Stevie Taggert, the boy Kreizler saved from a life of street crime, have returned to their former pursuits and tried to forget the horror of the Beecham case. But when the distraught wife of a Spanish diplomat begs Sara's aid, the team reunites to help find her kidnapped infant daughter.
It is a case fraught with danger, since Spain and the United States are on the verge of war.

Once again, Caleb Carr proves his brilliant ability to recreate the past, both high life and low.
As the horror unfolds, Delmonico's still serves up wondrous meals, and a summer trip to the elegant gambling parlors of Saratoga provides precious keys to the murderer's past.
At the same time, we go on revealing journeys into Stevie's New York, a place where poor and neglected children then as now turn to crime and drugs at shockingly early ages.
Peppered throughout are characters taken from real life and rendered with historical vigor, including suffragist Elizabeth Cady Stanton, painter Albert Pinkham Ryder and Clarence Darrow, who thunders for the defense in a tense courtroom drama during which the sanctity of American motherhood itself is put on trial.
Fast paced and chilling, The Angel of Darkness is a tour de force, a novel of modern evil in old New York.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

Soldier Spy published October 2016 by Tom Marcus.

514HtGk-a7L.jpg

For the very first time an MI5 undercover surveillance officer provides an unputdownable, eye opening account of the on going struggle to keep Britain's streets safe and terror free.
'Gripping.
One of the most successful MI5 undercover surveillance officers of his time' Sun 'Very well written, gives a startling amount of operational detail, the biggest shock of all, MI5 agreed to its publication' Sunday Times In the boot were six homemade pipe bombs, all linked to detonate at the same time from a single call on a brand new pay as you go phone found on the target.
Special Branch also found Chinese Type 56 assault rifles with eight full magazines full of ammunition.
His target was a local school.
planned to attack two coaches of teenagers returning home after a school trip to France.
Approximately sixty children, their accompanying teachers and their waiting parents.
He was going to kill them all ...Tom Marcus was recruited by MI5 in the wake of the 7/7 attacks on London.
After five years spent undercover as part of a covert British Army special operations unit he offered the Security Service the edge they so desperately needed.
Following months of intensive training, Marcus was thrown into a world of relentless, unimaginable pressure; a never ending struggle to prevent terrorist atrocities on our city streets, foil devastating strikes against the nation's infrastructure, and keep our country's Secrets safe from foreign spies.
Split second decisions carried life or death consequences and not all his colleagues would survive the fight.
In this explosive first-hand account, Soldier Spy lifts the lid on the war being waged by MI5 to keep us safe in our towns and cities for the first time; a blistering, visceral insight into life on the front line against terror, revealed in never before seen detail.

Mencken's America by H. L. Mencken & S. T. Joshi.

41PKSBJE6AL.jpg

Famous as a political, social and cultural gadfly, journalist and essayist H.L. Mencken was unafraid to speak his mind on controversial topics and to express his views in a deliberately provocative manner.
This is a collection of work previously only published in newspapers and magazines.
In the Politics section at Canterbury Tales Bookshop, Pattaya.

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery.

51Sxk-xPxYL.jpg

For the past 27 years, 54 year old Renee Michel has been a concierge of the rich at the apartments in which she lives in Paris. Overly judgmental and precocious Paloma Josse, is a 12 year old with the aspirations of a suicidal arsonist.
These are two of the charmingly original characters that live at 7 Rue de Grenelle.
Yet, this is not a story of quirky Parisians, it is too thoughtful for that. The first half of the book is rather ponderous, but because it is so clever it escapes tedium.
There is a sumptuous sensuality to the way Barbery gently sows her words.
I fought with her languid plot, wishing something, anything, would happen. After spinning and spinning this story in my head, I’ve come to realize that this is Barbery’s intent, she is giving us the experience of these women.,
This is a book that will burrow its way into memory, blinded by my impatience, I had not realized how strongly this story had seared within me until its end. I am bereft.
The truth of The Elegance of the Hedgehog is that is not a book at all it is an opera, an opera seria. Bravo?

Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded by Simon Winchester.

51h49OyWihL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Simon Winchester, bestselling author of The Professor and the Madman, examines the legendary annihilation in 1883 of the volcano island of Krakatoa, which was followed by an immense tsunami that killed nearly forty thousand people.
The effects of the immense waves were felt as far away as France. Barometers in Bogotá and Washington, D.C., went haywire.
Bodies were washed up in Zanzibar.
The sound of the island's destruction was heard in Australia and India and on islands thousands of miles away.
Most significant of all in view of today's new political climate, the eruption helped to trigger in Java a wave of murderous anti Western militancy among fundamentalist Muslims, one of the first outbreaks of Islamic inspired killings anywhere.
Krakatoa gives us an entirely new perspective on this fascinating and iconic event.

This P.S. edition features an extra 16 pages of insights into the book, including author interviews, recommended reading, and more.

Border Run: by Simon Lewis.

51EzVUbx6+L.jpg

From the author of the Los Angeles Times Book Prize nominated Bad Traffic, a fast paced adventure novel about two young backpackers who find themselves in serious trouble in the Jungle of Southeast Asia

On the Burmese border, two naïve backpackers, Will and Jake, follow a tour guide into the Jungle, tantalized by the possibility of dalliances with the tribal women who live there.
At an idyllic waterfall, they discover that nothing is as it seems and their guide has his own agenda.
It is not long before the two young men slip into a nightmarish spiral of murder and moral decay, their chance of survival determined by a game of hide and seek played out with deadly crossbows.
As the stakes get increasingly higher, the bonds of friendship are tested and lives are put on the line.
Simon Lewis has written a gripping, amphetamine paced novel about the hidden perils that can lurk in paradise and the fine line that we draw for ourselves between what is “civilized” and what is not.

The Sound of Laughter: The Autobiography of Peter Kay

51VzLez6DKL.jpg

Peter Kay's unerring gift for observing the absurdities and eccentricities of family life has earned himself a widespread everyman appeal.
These vivid observations, when coupled with a kind of nostalgia that never fails to grab his audience's shared understanding, have earned him comparisons with Alan Bennett and Ronnie Barker.
In many ways he is an old fashioned comedian, a fact reflected by the scope and enormity of his fan base.
He doesn't tell jokes about politics or sex, but rather rejoices in the far funnier areas of life elderly relatives and answering machines, dads dancing badly at weddings, garlic bread and cheesecake.
This autobiography is full of this kind of humor and nostalgia and covers everything from Kay's first ever driving lesson back through his childhood, the numerous jobs he held after school, and his first tastes of fame.

Timetable of Death (The Railway Detective Series) July, 2016
by Edward Marston.

51tLNKLjH-L.jpg

1859. St Mary's Church, Spondon.
A little girl playing hide and seek jumps into a freshly dug grave to find a dead man already occupying it.
It is the body of Cedric Norton, a senior director of the Midland Railway.
Inspector Colbeck and Sergeant Leeming travel to Derbyshire to investigate.

The Loving Husband by Christobel Kent.

@ Canterbury Tales Bookshop / Book exchange / Cafe, Pattaya.....
51cvTNFMnBL.jpg

Can you ever truly know the one you love?
Fran Hall and her husband Nathan live in a farmhouse on the edge of the Fens with their two children.
One February night, when Fran is woken by her baby, she finds the bed empty beside her and Nathan gone.
Searching the house for him she makes a devastating discovery.
As Fran finds herself under intense police scrutiny, she and her two small children become more isolated as she starts to doubt whether or not she really knew Nathan.
Was he really the loving husband that Fran had trusted him to be? As police suspicion grows the questions for Fran begin to mount.
Is there something that she is hiding from them, something that she has kept hidden from everyone, including her husband?
From the author of The Crooked House comes another stunning psychological thriller about family, Secrets and the lies we tell ourselves.
For fans of Gillian Flynn and SJ Watson, The Loving Husband draws readers into a marriage where nothing is as it seems.

DSCN3201a.jpg

The Search by Nora Roberts.

thesearch.jpg

A canine Search and Rescue volunteer fights danger and finds love in the Pacific Northwest wilderness in this riveting good drama from Nora Roberts.

To most people, Fiona Bristow seems to have an idyllic life a quaint house on an island off Seattle’s coast, a thriving dog training school and a challenging volunteer job performing Canine Search and Rescue.
But Fiona got to this point by surviving a nightmare: an encounter with the Red Scarf Killer, who shot and killed Fiona’s cop fiancé and his K-9 partner.

On Orcas Island, Fiona has found the peace and solitude necessary to rebuild her life with her three loyal Labs.
But all that changes on the day intensely private wood artist Simon Doyle barrels up her drive with an out of control puppy, desperate for her help.

As Fiona embarks on training Jaws, and Simon begins to appreciate both dog and trainer, the past tears back into Fiona’s life.
A copycat killer has emerged out of the shadows, a man whose bloodlust has been channeled by a master with one motive, to reclaim the woman who slipped out of his hands...

God Is An Englishman by Donald Horne.

md7526886460.jpg
It was the lesson of the Sporting field's, the Public Schools, The Cadet forces, the boy scouts, the press, the pulpit, the British Morality was the backbone of civilization.
When they bellowed out; Land of hope and glory the British thanked God for making them mighty and then asked him for more and more.
Donald Horne scrutinizes the British predicament with a deadly eye.
I would imagine Donald would turn in his grave if he saw it now.

No Jail for Thought by Lev Kopelev.

83347082.jpg

Reader review;
Between 1978-1980, I spent months in then-West Germany. It was there that I first heard of Lev Kopelev. I found it fascinating that a Russian-Jewish dissident and former Red Army soldier was loved and respected by the Germans at a time when many Germans who had experienced World War II were still around.
I was always interested in reading some of his books, and No Jail For Thought did not disappoint me.
I found this book to be fascinating, possibly one of the most worthwhile glimpses into what the Soviets called the Soviet Great Patriotic War and the psychosis of Stalinism.
I originally read this book and wrote my review in response to another reviewer and the comments he and another individual made. I completely disagreed with and was appalled by what I perceived to be their anti-German bias.
Said individual deleted his original review and republished it in revised form, which resulted in the follow up comments being removed.
I decided to do likewise and not let my original review stand since the irritating comments that "inspired" me to read this book were no longer available to amazon readers.
No Jail For Thought is not a book about Poland, or Poles, or Germany.
It is the story of a hard-line Stalinist officer who gets into trouble for objecting to the Soviet rape and looting of East Prussia. On page 39 he writes the following about the town of Neidenburg "Again, the work of our own men.
On a side street, by a garden fence, lay a dead old woman, Her dress was ripped: a telephone receiver reposed between her scrawny thighs.
They had apparently tried to ram it into her vagina."This was typical behavior of the Red Army in eastern Germany, little known and seldom discussed her in the USA.
In this context, Kopelev was right when he made complained about the rape, murder and abuse of German women and children, why did Kopelev care about what happened to German women?
First, he writes "Belyaev spoke up sententiously. "The Fritzes have plundered all over the world.
That's why they've got so much.
They burned down everything in our country, and now we're doing the same in theirs, we don't have to feel sorry for them." "No, not for them," I said. "For ourselves. Senseless destruction does more damage to us than to them." Later, he writes; "Another month or two and we will link up with the English and the Americans.
The Germans will start running from us to them, we will be disgraced before the whole world and never mind the disgrace, what about those soldiers who queue up by the scores for a German woman, who rape little girls, kill old women?
They will be going back to our own cities, our own women, our own girls, thousands and thousands of potential criminals and twice as dangerous, since they'll be coming back with the reputation of heroes." I believe that paragraph was prophetic.
Kopelev was critical of the rotten propagandist Ehrenburg, later, Stalin turned on Ehrenburg, but unlike Kopelev, he seems to have gotten away without any prison term(s).
Page 126 reminded me of a book I read Tortured for Christ by Richard Wurmbrand.
Kopelev found parts of a prayer book in a boiler room, he wrote "...I would read and reread the Pater Noster, the Ave Maria and the Credo.
The words that had been spoken for almost two thousand years in Roman catacombs, in slaves' quarters and monastic cells and kingly castles the words that had been carried across the world by crusader and conquistador and priest-I, an atheist, a Bolshevik and a Stalinist officer, muttered to myself in my prison cell.
It was strange, and strangely attractive, to think of it that way." Amazing to the reader is more like it.
Later in the book while discussing why almost a million Russians enlisted with the Nazis to fight against Stalin, Kopelev wrote the following: "But even those who were not heroes and who broke under torture even they could not have later been judged and condemned the way they were except by callous bureaucrats for whom all concepts of truth, law, common sense, even their own nation's best interests, took second place to a rigid compulsion to act "by the rules," in accordance with the `current situation,' and so as not to risk the displeasure of `higher authorities.'
Kopelev description of his repeated court trials had me on the edge of my seat.
The suspense is so great. The great mysteries of this book are perhaps two-fold; why would such a great intellect as Kopelev be such a hard-core Stalinist? The other question is why he cared about what the Soviets were doing to Germans when he seemed to have no compunctions of starving Ukrainians to death during the Holodomor? At the end of the book Kopelev writes "Many more years would have to pass, many more illusions would have to be broken, may more self deceptions would have to be overcome before I would begin to understand that my accusers were essentially right that all my insistence on doctrinal text, all my clinging to ideals hopelessly alien to the reality around me, were indeed the product of an intellectual, "petit bourgeois" upbringing, the real reason I did not and could not become the companion of my persecutors.
But I came, at length, to understand, I came to understand that my fate, which had seemed so senselessly, so undeservedly, cruel, was actually fortunate and just.
It was just because I did deserve to be punished for the many years I had zealously participated in plundering the peasants, worshiping Stalin, lying and deceiving myself in the name of "historical necessity," and teaching others to believe in lies and to bow before scoundrels."
As I stated in the beginning, No Jail For Thought is a great book, a 5 star book. Will be in the Classics section at Canterbury Tales Bookshop from 22nd midday onwards

Research by Philip Kerr.

41PHaaKBHQL.jpg

Philip Kerr’s new standalone thriller Research is as cynical and disillusioned as a boozy publishing lunch. The novel takes two authors on the road when one of them, the super-rich, super successful John Houston is accused of murder.

The blurb has regrettably decided to fire its agent:

The rolling strip across the bottom of the screen shouts the news:

BESTSELLING NOVELIST JOHN HOUSTON’S WIFE FOUND MURDERED AT THEIR LUXURY APARTMENT IN MONACO.

Houston is the richest writer in the world, a book factory publishing many bestsellers a year – so many that he can’t possibly write them himself. He has a team that feeds off his talent; ghost writers, agents, publishers.
So when he decides to take a year out to write something of quality, a novel that will win prizes and critical acclaim, a lot of people stand to lose their livelihoods.

Now Houston, the prime suspect in his wife’s murder, has disappeared. He owns a boat and has a pilot’s licence, he could be anywhere and there are many who’d like to find him.

First there’s the police. If he’s innocent, why did he flee? Then again, maybe he was set up by one of his enemies. The scenario reads like the plot of one of Houston’s million-copy-selling thrillers…
There’s not a huge amount you can say about Research without giving its twisty game away, but we’ll give it a go.

Growing Up Bin Laden: Osama's Wife and Son Take Us Inside Their Secret World by Jean Sasson.

51aKkIpF6PL.jpg

From the bestselling author of Princess: A True Story of Life Behind the Veil in Saudi Arabia

In their own words, Osama bin Laden's wife and son tell the astonishing story of the man they knew or thought they knew before September 11, 2001.

The world knows Osama bin Laden as the most wanted terrorist of our time.
But people are not born terrorists and bin Laden has carefully guarded the details of his private life, until now, when his first wife and fourth born son break the silence to take us inside his strange and secret world.
In spine tingling detail, Jean Sasson tells their story of life with a man whose growing commitment to violent jihad led him to move his wives and children from an orderly life to one of extreme danger, even choosing the teenage Omar to accompany him to the mountain fortress of Tora Bora.

The Gods of War: Republic III by Jack Ludlow.

51DkNT6WF1L.jpg

Lucius Falerius is dead- and Rome in its entirety mourns the passing of its most powerful senator.
It falls to his young son Marcellus to carry out his father’s legacy and restore the rights promised to the defeated Sicilian slaves, yet there are those who will not see the honour of Rome compromised and the slaves assuaged.
On the Roman border provinces there is trouble, and the legions move north to neutralise the threat posed by the Celts.
The confederation of Celtic tribes is united under one Chieftain, the formidable and unpredictable Brennos, yet there is a plot to see him dead and the confederation broken.
For Brennos, the treachery comes from within his own family, for which he will exact a brutal and bloody revenge.

The World Until Yesterday: What Can We Learn from Traditional Societies? by Jared Diamond.

51ftiIRAVVL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The no. 1 bestselling author of Collapse and Guns, Germs and Steel explores the profound lessons that traditional societies offer us today

Over the past 500 years, the West achieved global dominance, but do Westerners necessarily have better ideas about how to raise children, care for the elderly, or simply live well?
In this epic journey into our past, Jared Diamond reveals that traditional societies around the world offer an extraordinary window into how our ancestors lived for the majority of human history, until virtually yesterday, in evolutionary terms.
Drawing on decades of his own fieldwork, Diamond explores how tribal people approach essential human problems, from health and diet to conflict resolution and language, and discovers they have much to teach us.

Jared Diamond is the Pulitzer Prize winning author of the seminal million copy bestseller Guns, Germs, and Steel, which was named one of TIME's best non-fiction books of all time, and Collapse, a #1 international bestseller.
A professor of geography at UCLA and noted polymath, Diamond's work has been influential in the fields of anthropology, biology, ornithology, ecology and history, among others.

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks.

51K+lxN5DDL.jpg

Soon to be a major motion picture.
The Zombie War came unthinkably close to eradicating humanity. Max Brooks, driven by the urgency of preserving the acid etched first hand experiences of the survivors from those apocalyptic years, traveled across the United States of America and throughout the world, from decimated cities that once teemed with upwards of thirty million souls to the most remote and inhospitable areas of the planet.
He recorded the testimony of men, women, and sometimes children who came face to face with the living, or at least the undead, hell of that dreadful time.
"World War Z" is the result.
Never before have we had access to a document that so powerfully conveys the depth of fear and horror, and also the ineradicable spirit of resistance, that gripped human society through the plague years. Ranging from the now infamous village of New Dachang in the United Federation of China, where the epidemiological trial began with the twelve-year-old Patient Zero, to the unnamed northern forests where untold numbers sought a terrible and temporary refuge in the cold, to the United States of Southern Africa, where the Redeker Plan provided hope for humanity at an unspeakable price, to the west-of-the-Rockies redoubt where the North American tide finally started to turn, this invaluable chronicle reflects the full scope and duration of the Zombie War.
Most of all, the book captures with haunting immediacy the human dimension of this epochal event.
Facing the often raw and vivid nature of these personal accounts requires a degree of courage on the part of the reader, but the effort is invaluable because, as Mr. Brooks says in his introduction, "By excluding the human factor, aren't we risking the kind of personal detachment from history that may, heaven forbid, lead us one day to repeat it?
And in the end, isn't the human factor the only true difference between us and the enemy we now refer to as 'the living dead'?"

The Martian by Andy Weir.

51nuPcsSgtL.jpg

I’m stranded on Mars.

I have no way to communicate with Earth.

I’m in a Habitat designed to last 31 days.

If the Oxygenator breaks down, I’ll suffocate. 
If the Water Reclaimer breaks down, I’ll die of thirst. 
If the Hab breaches, I’ll just kind of explode. 
If none of those things happen, I’ll eventually run out of food and starve to death.

So yeah. I’m screwed.

The Age of Scandal by T.H. White.

688771.jpg

"Between the Classical & the Romantic movements...there existed this other age, which was one of peculiar flavor," writes T.H. White, author of The Sword in the Stone & other tales of Arthurian bravery. The Age of Scandal focuses on the period in late 18th-century England following the Age of Reason, a period characterized by dilettantism, material comfort & eccentricity.
The literary sway of Swift, Pope & Johnson had by then given way to a more aristocratic set of literati, of whom Horace Walpole, writing from the house he'd christened Strawberry Hill, was the most splendidly eloquent example.
Walpole etc. "were among the 1st people in England to be apprehended as personalities.
Eccentric, individual, sentimental, dramatic, tearful," they were lovers of gossip, fashion & exhibitionistic behavior.
Among the most colorful were Selwyn, a famed execution goer; Beckford, building an astonishing tower at Fronthill; & Joanna Southcott, remembered for her shocking announcement that she had given birth to the new Messiah.
Based on writings by Horace Walpole & other literate recorders, White has constructed a "little scrapbook of a nostalgic Tory."
Here's the fascinating record of another period of literary history by one of the best loved writers of our own.
He describes the eccentricities of the 18th century Royal Family, the fashions of the nobility, the powdering of wigs, eating, drinking, medicine, birthday parties, theater & pronunciation; attitudes toward religion & sport; and above all, the outrageous gossip circulating in literary circles.
A witty, idiosyncratic, audacious portrait of a waning aristocracy, The Age of Scandal is an entertaining, authoritative description of late 18th-century English literati.

Thailand Fever by Chris Pirazzi & Vitida Vasant.

thailands-fever-3cstore-1401-09-3CStore@1.jpg

You have met the perfect Thai woman.
You are dizzy with joy as her exotic world swirls around you.
You have heard so many horror stories, but your heart tells you that she's for real.
You want to understand her mysterious ways, and you wish she could understand yours.
Now there's help.
Thailand Fever is an astonishing, one of a kind, bilingual expose of the cultural Secrets that are the key to a smooth Thai-Western relationship.
Whether you met in a bar, in a university, or at work, and whether you met last night or decades ago, Thailand Fever covers your issues:

Trusting Each Other, Sex, It's My Money, The Parents, The Dowry, Privacy, Independence, Saving Face, Living in "Paradise"........

Thailand Fever is the must have relationship guidebook which lets each of you finally express complex issues by just pointing across the page?
Everything in the book is in both Thai and English on facing pages. Thailand Fever teaches each of you about your loved one's values and culture.

Canterbury Tales Bookshop also recommend that you check out the 2011 award winning book "The Interpreter's Journal" which is a perfect book to read along with "Thailand Fever."
It also gives you insights about Thai Western relationships & also available at Canterbury Tales Bookshop.

The Murderer's Daughter: June 2016 by Jonathan Kellerman.

61Jpfl+TysL.jpg

From the creator of the acclaimed Alex Delaware series comes a tour de force standalone novel that illustrates perfectly why “Jonathan Kellerman has justly earned his reputation as a master of the psychological thriller”

A brilliant, deeply dedicated psychologist, Grace Blades has a gift for treating troubled souls and tormented psyches, perhaps because she bears her own invisible scars.

Only five years old when she witnessed her parents’ deaths in a bloody murder suicide, Grace took refuge in her fierce intellect and found comfort in the loving couple who adopted her.

But even as an adult with an accomplished professional life, Grace still has a dark, secret side.

When her two worlds shockingly converge, Grace’s harrowing past returns with a vengeance.

Both Grace and her newest patient are stunned when they recognize each other from a recent encounter.

Haunted by his bleak past, mild-mannered Andrew Toner is desperate for Grace’s renowned therapeutic expertise and more than willing to ignore their connection.

And while Grace is tempted to explore his case, which seems to eerily echo her grim early years, she refuses, a decision she regrets when a homicide detective appears on her doorstep.

An evil she thought she’d outrun has reared its head again, but Grace fears that a police inquiry will expose her double life. Launching her own personal investigation leads her to a murderously manipulative foe, one whose warped craving for power forces Grace back into the chaos and madness she had long ago fled.

In Now @ Canterbury Tales Bookshop / Book exchange / Cafe, Pattaya...

Pattaya fr. cover.jpg

Of Love and Shadows by Isabel Allende.

love-en.jpg

Isabel Allende transports us to a Latin American country in the grip of a military dictatorship, where Irene Beltran, an upperclass journalist, and Francisco Leal, a photographer son of a Marxist professor together discover a hideous crime.
They also discover how far they dare go in search of the truth in a nation of terror and how very much they risk.

Koko by Peter Straub.

41cVD52AwJL.jpg

Koko.
Only four men knew what it meant.
Now they must stop it.
They were Vietnam vets, a doctor, a lawyer, a working stiff and a writer.
They were as different as men could be.
Yet all of them were eternally bound by a single shattering secret. Now, they have been reunited and are about to embark on a quest that will take from Washington, D.C., to the graveyards and fleshpots of the Far East to the human Jungle of New York, hunting someone from the past who has risen from the darkness to kill and kill and kill.