IGNORED

Canterbury Tales Guesthouse

Daveo

A quick update on the books for all you book lovers out there.

Vince Flynn is very popular

20140719_151043.jpg

20140719_151149.jpg

Stephen Lather even more popular

20140719_152247.jpg

We have most of Wilbur Smith Books

20140719_155603.jpg

True Crime popular with one of our Regulars

20140719_154715.jpg

20140719_154743.jpg

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

Ever popular John Grisham

20140719_151346.jpg

Peter James is an international bestselling British writer of crime fiction. He was born in Brighton, the son of Cornelia James, the former glovemaker to Queen Elizabeth II. Cornelia was a Jewish refugee from Vienna who came to England in 1938.

20140719_152134.jpg

Stephen King is an American author of contemporary horror, suspense, science fiction, and fantasy. His books have sold more than 350 million copies and many of them have been adapted into feature films, television movies and comic's

20140719_152205.jpg

John Crichton, MD was an American best-selling author, physician, producer, director, and screenwriter, best known for his work in the science fiction, medical fiction, and thriller genres.

20140719_154514.jpg

Jeffery Deaver is an American mystery/crime writer. He has a Bachelor of journalism degree from the University of Missouri and a law degree from Fordham University and originally started working as a journalist.

20140719_154536.jpg

Clive Cussler is an American adventure novelist and marine archaeologist. His thriller novels, many featuring the character Dirk Pitt, have reached The New York Times fiction best-seller list more than 20 times.

20140719_154544.jpg

Aload of Koontz

20140719_152233.jpg

Many an old book but still worth a read

20140719_154505.jpg

True crime one of the most popular sections in the bookshop

20140719_154825.jpg

Edited by Daveo

Hi Dave, I always stop by your bookshop every visit and have bought probably 15-20 books over the last couple years.

The thing that drives me crazy though is you gluing your advertisements throughout the books. And I can't take them off as they will rip the pages. Some of the pictures are quite tasteless actually with a young girl in a g-string on the picture. I like to share my books with others after I read them, but I can't with yours as the advertisements with almost naked young girls throughout the book is embarrassing. 

You also stamp your books. Isn't stamping the books enough? Why the awful glued advertisements throughout the books?

Its our advertising media, I never put too rude pics just sexy and as a book is for reading I feel I should let our readers know what else we have to offer.

I cant remember glueing the erotic/sexy pics in though as I use them as bookmarks and I must say I have had dozens of pro comments for them, it is Pattaya after all.

Sorry they are not to your liking.

Cute Thai girl aa879aa copy.jpg 

Its our advertising media, I never put too rude pics just sexy and as a book is for reading I feel I should let our readers know what else we have to offer.

I cant remember glueing the erotic/sexy pics in though as I use them as bookmarks and I must say I have had dozens of pro comments for them, it is Pattaya after all.

Sorry they are not to your liking.

attachicon.gifCute Thai girl aa879aa copy.jpg

I'm not overly bothered by the pics actually and the nature of the pics are actually secondary to you gluing your paper advertisements throughout the book.

Ps you've been in Pattaya too long if you think the girl in the attached pic isn't sexy!

Edited by cutter

No I assure you I think she is sexy, and asked the staff but they never glue the sexy pics only the adds, otherwise they fall out you see.

Goes to Pattaya,winges about photos of sexy girls in g-strings  :Think1:

My youtube channel .....https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxoT31MMwxjrLmj6um_BnlA

2 Weeks in Jomtien trip report, photo heavy and videos.....  http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/307477-big-g-returns-2-weeks-in-november-photo-heavy-and-some-videos/

First trip report,more then 500 images.

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/177415-small-trip-reportbut-heaps-of-photos500-plus/

• 2 months later...

Have had a change round, all the foreign books now 50 yards along the soi ground floor building D so all the bookshop now solely English Language, sorting through the sections, have many new books and many discounted as well as the 50% credit on all books returned after use.

Always looking for more books so any unused books come and do a deal and trade them in.

We have a large Thai and South East Asia section including some popular......All the books below are brand new condition and approximately a quarter price of Asia books.

ce46e03ae7a08ae6994c2210.L.jpg

The story of three generations in twentieth-century China that blends the intimacy of memoir and the panoramic sweep of eyewitness history—a bestselling classic in thirty languages with more than ten million copies sold around the world, now with a new introduction from the author

An engrossing record of Mao’s impact on China, an unusual window on the female experience in the modern world, and an inspiring tale of courage and love, Jung Chang describes the extraordinary lives and experiences of her family members: her grandmother, a warlord’s concubine; her mother’s struggles as a young idealistic Communist; and her parents’ experience as members of the Communist elite and their ordeal during the Cultural Revolution. Chang was a Red Guard briefly at the age of fourteen, then worked as a peasant, a “barefoot doctor,” a steelworker, and an electrician. As the story of each generation unfolds, Chang captures in gripping, moving—and ultimately uplifting—detail the cycles of violent drama visited on her own family and millions of others caught in the whirlwind of history.

41IxgKchG-L.jpg

Uncovering the Secrets behind the 1968 My Lai massacre in Vietnam, this is "a brutal, cautionary tale that serves as a painful reminder of the worst that can happen in war.

download.jpg

In this disturbing, firsthand report, Pulitzer Prize-winning New York Times correspondent Kamm makes us care deeply about Southeast Asia's forgotten stepchild, Cambodia. Melding a history of the tormented nation of 10 million with reportage based on his numerous trips there between 1970 and 1997, he criticizes the Western powers, led by the U.S., for supporting dictator Pol Pot's genocidal regime (1975-79), which, he argues, the West considered a lesser evil than the Vietnamese communist invaders and their Cambodian backers who ruled for the subsequent decade. Today, while Prince Norodom Sihanouk, Cambodia's absent king and former moderate leader, "governs" by fax from Beijing, where he lies incurably ill with cancer, Cambodia is still ruled by the tyrannical, Vietnam-installed coalition government of Prime Minister Hun Sen. According to the author, Hun Sen has never attained legitimacy in the eyes of many of his compatriots, whose country?bestrewed by countless land mines?is beset by rampant lawlessness and corruption, endemic poverty and Asia's worst AIDS/HIV epidemic. Contending that the UN's much-touted 1992-93 peacekeeping mission to Cambodia was a failure that left the status quo intact, Kamm boldly proposes that Cambodia be placed under an international trusteeship to nurse this gravely incapacitated nation back to health. 
download (1).jpg

The Lao discusses culture and village life in Laos, exploring topics of kinship and family, gender relations, households, religion, livelihood strategies, and ethnicity. In particular, the effects of recent development projects on the relative power of men and women in rural Lao society, and the responses of women to those changes, are highlighted. Ireson-Doolittle and Moreno-Black not only provide a description of life on the ground but also explore how local affairs are connected to the wider world, and how the Lao people preserve traditions while also responding to change.

Edited by Daveo

More in lately books

Polpot.jpg

Pol Pot was an idealistic, reclusive figure with great charisma and personal charm. He initiated a revolution whose radical egalitarianism exceeded any other in history. But in the process, Cambodia desended into madness and his name became a byword for oppression.

In the three-and-a-half years of his rule, more than a million people, a fifth of Cambodia's population, were executed or died from hunger and disease. A supposedly gentle, carefree land of slumbering temples and smiling peasants became a concentration camp of the mind, a slave state in which absolute obedience was enforced on the 'killing fields'.

Why did it happen? How did an idealistic dream of justice and prosperity mutate into one of humanity's worst nightmares? Philip Short, the biographer of Mao, has spent four years travelling the length of Cambodia, interviewing surviving leaders of Pol Pot's Khmer Rouge movement and sifting through previously closed archives. Here, the former Khmer Rouge Head of State, Pol's brother-in-law and scores of lesser figures speak for the first time at length about their beliefs and motives.

ASIA.jpg

If you are familiar with the ideas of Noam Chomsky, this book will come as no surprise to you. He puts forth essentially the same arguments that he did in his earlier offering, _American Power and the New Mandarins_. Chomsky writes about the war in Asia by talking about U.S. action in various southeast Asian countries and the resistence that springs up against it. The most interesting essays are the ones about Laos and North Vietnam because these writings have emerged from Chomsky's own trip to the region. He is essentially reporting on what he saw during his time on the ground. These chapters are the most convincing in the book because of this aspect, and they are the element that makes this book worth buying. I'm not sure under what circumstances Chomsky was able to travel to these war zones, but his record of the trip is filled with empathy and heartbreak. He is a polemicist at the top of his game, giving what appears to be a fairly honest account of what he saw. I found the book to be enlightening and powerful. Another good offering from one of the harshest critics of U.S. foreign policy.

harper lee.jpg

guevara.jpg

In 1952 Alberto Granado, a young doctor, and his friend Ernesto Guevara, a 23-year-old medical student from a distinguished Buenos Aires family decided to explore their continent. They set off from Cordoba in Argentina on a 1949 Norton 500cc motorbike and travelled through Chile, Peru, Colombia and Venezuela. They worked as casual labourers along the way, as football coaches, medical assistants, and haulage hands. The poverty and exploitation of the native population changed them for ever. Each man later wrote an account of the journey.

Alberto Granado realised later in his life that what they saw and encountered on their journey represented a crucial turning point. It strengthened Alberto's determination to forge his career as a scientist. And it started the process that was to turn Ernesto - the debonair, fun-loving student - into Che, the man who fought for the liberation of Cuba and became the heroic and glamorous warrior fighting for freedom and social justice, who remains to this day in people's minds Latin America's foremost hero and one of the world's great revolutionaries. A companion to Che's Motorcycle Diaries, Alberto Granado's book is a moving and at times hilarious account of how two carefree young men found their true purpose in life.

burma.jpg

ghosh.jpg

Hero's.jpg

In the autumn of 1993, American special forces were dispatched to the famine-stricken land of Somalia. Their intervention in this war-torn country was the most dramatic US military action since Vietnam. A routine mission went horribly wrong when Michael Durant's Black Hawk helicopter was shot down over Mogadishu and he was quickly surrounded by Somali troops and taken captive. The brutal torture he underwent was made all too clear to the world when his coerced statements were broadcast on live television and his battered face appeared on the cover of magazines around the globe.

Michael Durant's ordeal was first described in Mark Bowden's international bestseller Black Hawk Down and the critically acclaimed film of the same name. This, his first-person gripping account tells of bravery under fire, torture, imprisonment, and the terrifying day by day reality for a soldier, unarmed and helpless in enemy hands, fighting to survive.

Do you have sports books (biographies/ autobiographies).

Yes many, as you come into the shop you will see a sign with sports bio's and auto bio's, easy to spot, have about 300 

Here are a few

SPORT 2.jpgSPORT.jpg

Edited by Daveo

Some more new additions

517jpG8F3ML.jpg

The time has come for us to stop thinking about illnesses like cancer as something the body 'gets' or 'has' but rather to think of them as something the body does. In this landmark work, leading researcher and physician Dr David Agus takes readers on a journey to decode the mystery of health and the human body. Based on his groundbreaking research and clinical trials, Dr Agus has come to the realization that the best way to combat cancer is to prevent it. For decades we've tried to whittle down our understanding of the body and its ailments to a finite point - a mutation, a germ, a deficiency or a number. But this has led us astray from a fundamental basic understanding of our bodies as systems. The End of Illness presents a system's view of the body, urging readers to begin viewing their total health as a complex network of processes that cannot be explained by any single pathway or focal point. In many instances, it does us no good to try and understand a certain disease; we just need to control it, much like an air traffic controller manages planes without knowing how to actually fly one. This radically different perspective on health will not only change how we care for ourselves, but also how we spur the next generation of treatments, and, in some instances, cures. The book also shows readers how to personalize their self-care; much of the advice is surprisingly simple and affordable - such as wearing good shoes and eating lunch at the same time every day.

Theroux (1).jpgTheroux (4).jpgTheroux (5).jpgTheroux (6).jpgTheroux 1.jpgTheroux (2).jpgTheroux (3).jpgTheroux (7).jpg

Bad Pharma.jpgBad pharma 2.jpg

Ben Goldacre puts the $600bn global pharmaceutical industry under the microscope. What he reveals is a fascinating, terrifying mess. ***Now updated with the latest government responses to the book***

Doctors and patients need good scientific evidence to make informed decisions. But instead, companies run bad trials on their own drugs, which distort and exaggerate the benefits by design. When these trials produce unflattering results, the data is simply buried. All of this is perfectly legal. In fact, even government regulators withhold vitally important data from the people who need it most. Doctors and patient groups have stood by too, and failed to protect us. Instead, they take money and favours, in a world so fractured that medics and nurses are now educated by the drugs industry.

The result: patients are harmed in huge numbers.

Ben Goldacre is Britain’s finest writer on the science behind medicine, and ‘Bad Pharma’ is the book that finally prompted Parliament to ask why all trial results aren’t made publicly available – this edition has been updated with the latest news from the select committee hearings. Let the witty and indefatigable Goldacre show you how medicine went wrong, and what you can do to mend it.

Lewis 3.jpg

In Boomerang Michael Lewis, the international bestselling author of The Big ShortLiars' PokerThe Blind Side and Moneyball, turns his trademark wit to the subject of how the financial meltdown hit us all in the face.

Right now, Europe is in serious financial chaos. In Greece, infrastructure costs mean it would be cheaper to transport all Greek rail passengers by taxi, and hairdressing is classified as arduous for tax avoidance purposes. In Iceland, Range Rovers frequently explode as owners collect the insurance to pay for them. Ireland saw the entire country put up for sale - to itself, while the Germans expected the whole world to behave like them. But the whole world didn't.

In this hilarious, fascinating, timely must-read, Michael Lewis reveals the true natures of the countries caught up in - and exacerbating - our boomerang economies.

Lewis.jpg

It's time to throw another tank of petrol on the Wall Street pyre, as only Lewis can (Financial Times)

He is so good everyone else may as well pack up (Evening Standard)

No one writes with more narrative panache about money and finance than Mr. Lewis (Michiko Kakutani New York Times)

Probably the single best piece of financial journalism ever written (Reuters)

Hugely entertaining (Economist)

Terrifying and superbly told (Daily Telegraph)

Genius (Sunday Times)

Compelling and horrifying (GQ)

A more than worthy successor to Liar's Poker ... if you want to know about the origins of the credit crunch, and the extraordinary cast of misfits, visionaries and chancers who made money from the crash, there's no more readable account (Daily Telegraph)

A triumph ... riveting ... a genuine page-turner (Times)

The very best book about this whole affair (John Lanchester, author of 'Whoops!')

If you read only one book about the causes of the recent financial crisis, let it be Michael Lewis's The Big Short (Washington Post)

In the hands of Michael Lewis, anything is possible ... if you want to know how a nation lost its financial mind - and have a good laugh finding out - this is the book to read. (The Sunday Times)

Magnificent ... a perfect storm of brilliant writer meeting big subject. (The Guardian)

Lewis 2.jpg

From mere trainee to lowly geek, to triumphal Big Swinging Dick: that was Michael Lewis' pell-mell progress through the dealing rooms of Salomon Brothers in New York and London during the heady mid-1980s when they were probably the world's most powerful and profitable merchant bank.

A true-life Bonfire of the Vanities, funny, frightening, breathless and heartless, his is a tale of hysterical greed and ambition set in an obsessed, enclosed world.

Mozzetti.jpg

A Pulitzer Prize winning reporter's riveting account of the transformation of the CIA and America s special operations forces into man-hunting and killing machines. The Way of the Knife is the untold story of America's new campaign that has blurred the lines between soldiers and spies, and lowered the bar for waging war across the globe. Mark Mazzetti tracks an astonishing cast of characters on the ground in the 'shadow' war, from the chain-smoking Pentagon official running an off-the-books spy operation to the CIA contractor imprisoned in Lahore after going off the leash. At the heart of the book is the story of two proud rival entities, the CIA and the American military, elbowing each other for supremacy. Sometimes, as with the raid that killed Osama bin Laden, their efforts have been perfectly coordinated. Other times, including the failed operations disclosed here for the first time, they have not. For better or worse, their struggles will define American national security in the years to come.

Diamond.jpg

Now in a revised edition with a new afterword, Jared Diamond's Collapseuncovers the secret behind why some societies flourish, while others founder - and what this means for our future.

• What happened to the people who made the forlorn long-abandoned statues of Easter Island?
  • What happened to the architects of the crumbling Maya pyramids?
  • Will we go the same way, our skyscrapers one day standing derelict and overgrown like the temples at Angkor Wat?

Bringing together new evidence from a startling range of sources and piecing together the myriad influences, from climate to culture, that make societies self-destruct, Jared Diamond's Collapse also shows how - unlike our ancestors - we can benefit from our knowledge of the past and learn to be survivors.

Ronson.jpg

UPDATED EDITION INCLUDING TWO EXTRA STORIES

Jon Ronson has been on patrol with America’s real-life superheroes and to a UFO convention in the Nevada desert with Robbie Williams. He’s met a man who tried to split the atom in his kitchen and asked a conscious robot if she’s got a soul.

Fascinated by madness, strange behaviour and the human mind, Jon has spent his life exploring mysterious events and meeting extraordinary people. Collected here from various sources (including the Guardian andGQ) are the best of his adventures.

Frequently hilarious, sometimes disturbing, always entertaining, these fascinating stories of the chaos that lies on the fringe of our daily lives will have you wondering just what we’re capable of.

wILLOW.jpg

Growing up in Hanoi, Haiphong, and Saigon, Mai Elliott loved listening to the stories told by her parents and other relatives about their parents and grandparents. She found these tales fascinating - some funny, some tragic. She knew one day she would tell their stories and she has in her book The Sacred Willow
In The Sacred Willow Mai tells the story of her family over four generations, from the 19th century to the present. She takes us back to the vanished world where her great-grandfather, Duong Lam, rose from poverty to become a mandarin at the imperial court. She tells of childhood hours spent in her grandmother's sil shop - and of hiding while French troops torched her village, watching blossoms from the trees torn by fire flutter "like hundreds of butterflies" overhead. She reveals the agonizing choices that split Vietnamese families, while her father, loyal to his mandarin heritage, served the French colonial regime, her eldest sister joined the Communist guerillas and vanished for years into the Jungle. Finally, Mai traces her family's journey through some of the most harrowing events of recent times - the fall of Saigon, the exodus of the boat people, and the re-education camps endured by those who were left behind. 
Writing with insight and compassion, Mai Elliott weaves a narrative with the richness and colour of a historical novel. Haunting, heartbreaking and inspiring, The Sacred Willow wo;; fprever cjamge pir imderstamdomg pf Vietnam and our role in it.

Note;

All these books go on the shelves as I post them, some we have more than one copy, others go out quickly, then come back or never come back, this is only a very small amount of books in stock, any inquiries I am happy to answer, email [email protected]

River of time.jpg

River 2.jpg

Viet.jpg

The eyes of the West have recently been trained on China and India, but Vietnam is rising fast among its Asian peers. A breathtaking period of social change has seen foreign investment bringing capitalism flooding into its nominally communist society, booming cities swallowing up smaller villages, and the lure of modern living tugging at the traditional networks of family and community. Yet beneath these sweeping developments lurks an authoritarian political system that complicates the nation's apparent renaissance. In this engaging work, experienced journalist Bill Hayton looks at the costs of change in Vietnam and questions whether this rising Asian power is really heading toward capitalism and democracy. Based on vivid eyewitness accounts and pertinent case studies, Hayton's book addresses a broad variety of issues in today's Vietnam, including important shifts in international relations, the growth of civil society, economic developments and challenges, and the nation's nascent democracy movement as well as its notorious internal security. His analysis of Vietnam's 'police state', and its systematic mechanisms of social control, coercion, and surveillance, is fresh and particularly imperative when viewed alongside his portraits of urban and street life, cultural legacies, religion, the media, and the arts. With a firm sense of historical and cultural context, Hayton examines how these issues have emerged and where they will lead Vietnam in the next stage of its development.

wisdom.jpg

'It seemed to me that the bees were working on the very same kinds of problems we are trying to solve. How can large, diverse groups work together harmoniously and productively? Perhaps we could take what the bees do so well and apply it to our institutions.'

When Michael O'Malley first took up beekeeping he thought it would be a nice hobby to share with his son. But he noticed that bees not only work together to achieve a common goal but, in the process, create a remarkably productive organization, like a miniature but incredibly successful business.

O'Malley also realized that bees can teach managers a lot, identifying 25 powerful insights such as:

* Distribute authority: the Queen bee delegates relentlessly and worker bees make daily decisions

* Keep it simple: bees exchange only relevant information

* Protect the future: when a lucrative vein of nectar is discovered, the entire colony doesn't rush off to mine it

Blending practical advice with interesting facts about the hive, The Wisdom of Bees is a useful and entertaining guide for any manager looking to get the most out of his or her organization.

Haruki Murakami was born in Kyoto in 1949. Following the publication of his first novel in Japanese in 1979, he sold the jazz bar he ran with his wife and became a full-time writer. It was with the publication of Norwegian Wood - which has to date sold more than 4 million copies in Japan alone - that the author was truly catapulted into the limelight. Known for his surrealistic world of mysterious (and often disappearing) women, cats, earlobes, wells, Western culture, music and quirky first-person narratives, he is now Japan's best-known novelist abroad.

9780307476463_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

“Murakami is like a magician who explains what he’s doing as he performs the trick and still makes you believe he has supernatural powers . . . But while anyone can tell a story that resembles a dream, it's the rare artist, like this one, who can make us feel that we are dreaming it ourselves.” —The New York Times Book Review

The year is 1984 and the city is Tokyo.

A young woman named Aomame follows a taxi driver’s enigmatic suggestion and begins to notice puzzling discrepancies in the world around her. She has entered, she realizes, a parallel existence, which she calls 1Q84 —“Q is for ‘question mark.’ A world that bears a question.” Meanwhile, an aspiring writer named Tengo takes on a suspect ghostwriting project. He becomes so wrapped up with the work and its unusual author that, soon, his previously placid life begins to come unraveled.

As Aomame’s and Tengo’s narratives converge over the course of this single year, we learn of the profound and tangled connections that bind them ever closer: a beautiful, dyslexic teenage girl with a unique vision; a mysterious religious cult that instigated a shoot-out with the metropolitan police; a reclusive, wealthy dowager who runs a shelter for abused women; a hideously ugly private investigator; a mild-mannered yet ruthlessly efficient bodyguard; and a peculiarly insistent television-fee collector.

A love story, a mystery, a fantasy, a novel of self-discovery, a dystopia to rival George Orwell’s—1Q84 is Haruki Murakami’s most ambitious undertaking yet: an instant best seller in his native Japan, and a tremendous feat of imagination from one of our most revered contemporary writers.

norwegian-wood2.jpgsouth_of_the_border_west_of_the_sun.large.jpg

17801.jpg

In spite of the perpetrators' intentions, the Tokyo gas attack left only twelve people dead, but thousands were injured and many suffered serious after-effects. The author's interviews with the victims try to establish precisely what happened on the subway that day.

Edited by Daveo

• 2 weeks later...

Rational.jpg

Matt Ridley received his BA and D. Phil at Oxford researching the evolution of behaviour. He has been science editor, Washington correspondent and American editor of The Economist. He is the author of bestselling titles The Red Queen (1993), The Origins of Virtue (1996), Genome (1999) and Nature via Nurture (2003). His books have sold over half a million copies, been translated into 25 languages and been shortlisted for six literary prizes. In 2004 he won the National Academies Book Award from the US National Academies of Science, Engineering and Medicine for Nature via Nurture. In 2007 Matt won the Davis Prize from the US History of Science Society for Francis Crick: Discoverer of the Genetic Code. He is married to the neuroscientist Professor Anya Hurlbert.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A triumphant blast on the vuvuzela of common sense’ Boris Johnson

‘A glorious defence of our species… a devastating rebuke to humanity's self-haters’ Sunday Times

‘No other book has argued with such brilliance against the automatic pessimism that prevails’ Ian McEwan

‘His theory is, in a way, the glorious offspring that would result if Charles Darwin’s ideas were mated with those of Adam Smith’ The Economist

‘Original, clever and controversial’ Guardian

‘As a work of bold historical positivity it is to be welcomed. At every point cheerfulness keeps breaking through’ The Times

Collier 2.jpg

The world is in a mess. For more than a billion people, everyday life is played out against the backdrop of civil wars, military coups and failing economies. For them, the peaceful democracy taken for granted in the West seems an impossible pipe-dream.

But solutions do exist - it is up to us to achieve them. Award-winning academic Paul Collier's vision for the future of the developing world is eye-opening, provocative and refreshingly unequivocal.

Collier.jpg

In The Plundered Planet: How to Reconcile Prosperity with NaturePaul Collier proposes a radical and often counter-intuitive rethink of international policy in order to combat global poverty and environmental devastation.

How can we help poorer countries become richer without harming the planet? Is there a way of reconciling prosperity with nature?

World-renowned economist Paul Collier offers smart, surprising and above all realistic answers to this dilemma. Steering a path between the desires of unchecked profiteering and the romantic views of environmentalists, he explores creative ways to deal with poverty, overpopulation and climate change - showing that the solutions needn't cost the earth.

'A practical handbook for ending world poverty. He wants us to read the evidence, not wear slogans on our T-shirts' 
  Sunday Times

'Collier and his team have researched the detail ... If you want to help the world, stem your bleeding heart and tell your broker to switch your funds to Emerging Markets (Africa)' 
  Sunday Telegraph

'An intriguing take on how western nations can stop poor countries rich in resources from being exploited'
  Observer

'Anyone looking for a primer on how best to exploit the riches of nature could do worse than reading this introduction to the problem' 
  Economist

'Paul Collier must be read if one is to begin to understand the most vital contemporary arguments' 
  Bob Geldof

Paul Collier is Professor of Economics and Director of the Center for the Study of African Economies at Oxford University and a former director of Development Research at the World Bank. In addition to the award-winningThe Bottom Billion, he is the author of Wars, Guns, and Votes: Democracy in Dangerous Places.

Hesse.jpg

Hermann Hesse's moving and inspirational chronicle of spiritual evolution,Siddhartha, includes a new introduction by bestselling author Paulo Coehlo in Penguin Classics.

Siddhartha is perhaps the most important and compelling moral allegory our troubled century has produced. Integrating Eastern and Western spiritual traditions with psychoanalysis and philosophy, this strangely simple tale, written with a deep and moving empathy for humanity, has touched the lives of millions since its original publication in 1922. Set in India,Siddhartha is the story of a young Brahmin's search for ultimate reality after meeting with the Buddha. His quest takes him from a life of decadence to asceticism, from the illusory joys of sensual love with a beautiful courtesan, and of wealth and fame, to the painful struggles with his son and the ultimate wisdom of renunciation.

Hermann Hesse (1877-1962) suffered from depression, endured criticism for his pacifist views, and weathered series of personal crises which led him to undergo psychoanalysis with J. B. Lang; a process which resulted inDemian (1919), a novel whose main character is torn between the orderliness of bourgeois existence and the turbulent and enticing world of sensual experience. This dichotomy is prominent in Hesse's subsequent novels, including Siddhartha (1922), Steppenwolf (1927), Narcissus and Goldmund (1930) and his magnum opus, The Glass Bead Game (1943). Hesse was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1946.

Paulo Coelho was born in Brazil and has become one of the most widely read authors in the world. Especially renowned for The Alchemist andEleven Minutes, he has sold more than 100 million books worldwide and has been translated into 66 languages.

'A subtle distillation of wisdom, stylistic grace and symmetry of form' 'A writer of genius'

Michio.jpg

From cyborgs, starships, UFOs, aliens and antimatter to telepathy, invisibility, psychokinesis and precognition, Michio Kaku's Physics of the Impossible is an exciting look at how science fiction could soon become science fact.

Albert Einstein said, 'If at first an idea does not sound absurd, there is no hope for it.' Physics of the Impossible shows how our most far-fetched ideas today - from Star Trek's phasers and teleportation to time travel as envisioned by Back to the Future - are destined to become tomorrow's reality.

Michio Kaku, bestselling science author and one of the world's most acclaimed physicists, looks at the technologies of the future and explains what's just around the corner, what we might have to wait a few millennia to get our hands on and how surprisingly little of it is truly impossible.

'A brilliant, provocative, freewheeling tour around the exotic shores of physics'  Independent

'A rich compendium of jaw-dropping reality checks'   The Times

'One of the world's most distinguished physicists ... takes the reader on a journey to the frontiers of science and beyond' 
  Guardian

'After reading Kaku's boundless enthusiasm for the future, what you wouldn't give for a real-life time machine to travel forwards and see just how accurate his predictions are' 
  Sunday Telegraph

Michio Kaku is a leading theoretical physicist and one of the founders of string theory, widely regarded as the strongest candidate for the 'theory of everything'. He is also one of the most gifted popularizers of science of his generation. His books published by Penguin include Parallel WorldsThe Physics of the Future and The Physics of the Impossible. He holds the Henry Semat Professorship in Theoretical Physics at the City University of New York, where he has taught for over twenty-five years.

Misha.jpg

We live our lives online – banking, shopping, working, dating – but have we become complacent?

Who's got your money?

We share our personal details, our thoughts and movements with a faceless screen, with no real idea what lies behind it.

Who's got your identity?

DarkMarket exposes the shocking truth about what lurks behind our computers: an underground crime network that invades our privacy and threatens our security on a daily basis.

Who's got your life?

Glenny tracks down the key players – including criminals, national and international security experts, police, crack addicts, the Saudi Royal Family, and most importantly, victims – to reveal the true scale of this new global threat.

Shortlisted for the Orwell Prize 2012

Horn 1.jpg

High Fidelity is Nick Hornby's hilarious and heart-breaking first novel bestseller.

Do you know your desert-island, all-time, top five most memorable split-ups? Rob does. He keeps a list, in fact. But Laura isn't on it - even though she's just become his latest ex. He's got his life back, you see. He can just do what he wants when he wants: like listen to whatever music he likes, look up the girls that are on his list, and generally behave as if Laura never mattered. 
But Rob finds he can't move on. 
He's stuck in a really deep groove - and it's called Laura.

Soon, he's asking himself some big questions: about love, about life - and about why we choose to share ours with the people we do.

A million-copy bestseller, and adapted into a 2000 film starring John Cusack, High Fidelity explores the world of break-ups, make-ups and what it is to be in love. This astutely observed and wickedly funny book will be enjoyed by readers of David Nicholls and William Boyd, and by generations of readers to come.

"It will give enormous pleasure at the same time as expanding in a small but worthwhile way, the range of English literature". (Independent on Sunday).

"Leaves you believing not only in the redemptive power of music but above all the redemptive power of love. Funny and wise, sweet and true". 

Horn 2.jpgHorn 3.jpg

Ben Elton is one of Britain's most provocative and entertaining writers. From celebrity to climate change, from the First World War to the end of the world, his books give his unique perspective on some of the most controversial topics of our time.

He has written twelve major bestsellers, including Stark, Popcorn, Inconceivable (filmed as Maybe Baby, which he also directed), Dead Famous, High Society (WH Smith People's Choice Award 2003) and The First Casualty.

He has also written some of television's most popular and incisive comedy, including The Young Ones, Blackadder and The Man From Auntie. His stage work includes three West End plays and the hit musicals The Beautiful Game and We Will Rock You.

He is married with three children.

elton 2.jpgElton 3.jpgelton 4.jpgelton 5.jpgelton 6.jpgelton 7.jpgelton 8.gifelton 9.jpgelton 10.jpgelton.jpg

Daveo,

I don't know if it'ss been asked before, but do you keep an inventory list of titles you currently have? I'm asking because I bought a few books on my last trip, which were parts of a series. I was wondering if you have the follow ups?

Daveo,

I don't know if it'ss been asked before, but do you keep an inventory list of titles you currently have? I'm asking because I bought a few books on my last trip, which were parts of a series. I was wondering if you have the follow ups?

No we dont, a bit complicated for the Thai staff you see, let me know what you're looking for and I will see what we have, a lot of books come in every day so forever changing but a service we provide is if you keep me informed what you want I will notify you when it/they come in and save them for you so you can pop in and collect them.

Daveo,

Do you have books with lots of pictures preferably of sheep as I am not too good at reading.

JDM

Sorry could not resist the plug hope all is well with you my friend.

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com