IGNORED

words not used

Reaper_gfx

so i managed to get a hold of the pimsleur lesson as im listening to the lessons the guy speaking ends every sentence in what sounds like "clap" seemingly its ment to be a polite way to end the sentence? do things like this actually get used in the modern thai language, and is there words im going to learn that arent used or arent spoken that way as such

thanks

steve.

its more like khrap, an girls say kah... summet like that, i think its talking politely

experience is the mother of wisdom

Krub - ครับ or Kub - คับ (slang/shortened lazy version) is probably the most used word in Thai LOL.

Its actually a final particle more-so than a word in itself... However it can also be said by itself to acknowledge or reply "yes" depending on the context.

If you speak Thai without using Krub occasionally, you will come across as either un-educated or impolite. Rolling your "r" in the Krub will make you sound even more polite and educated.

When used at the end of a sentance it conveys politeness..

Forgot to mention ครับ krub , is only for males.

ค่ะ ka (falling tone short vowel) is the female equivalent

however be careful as "kaa" ฆ่า (falling tone long vowel) means "kill" ....lol

Edited by CoByau

khrap or khrab is added at the end of a sentence to be polite (for a man). Try saying 'crab' then 'crap' without opening your mouth at the end; they sound the same! Some sounds do not directly translate.

This is further complicated by the numerous Issan people who work in Pattaya. Many speak Lao which doesn't have an 'R' sound, hence 'tirak' becomes 'tilak' & 'Korat' becomes 'Kolat'.

The further shortened 'Kap' can be used to attract attention, or when on the phone 'kap kap' can mean 'ok ok' or 'yes yes'.

Hope this helps.

Peace. :DeadHorse2:

sgu_banner.gif

heh, i can see this is going to be a bumpy road, the whole thing about rolling the "R" does that work across most words as i naturally roll my R's or should i try learn without doing rolling

Probably best to learn everything properly to start with so later you'll have a better grasp of being formal and informal.