IGNORED

Suvarnabhumi Airport

Braveheart

Located 30 kilometers (19 miles) to the east of Bangkok, space-age Suvarnabhumi Airport (สุวรรณภูมิ, pronounced "soo-wanna-poom", (IATA: BKK) (ICAO: VTBS), started operations in September 2006 and is now Bangkok's main airport. There is only one terminal building, which covers both domestic and international flights, but it's huge (by some measures the world's largest) so allow time for getting around.

All the facilities you'd expect are available (transit hotel, ATMs, money exchange). The cheapest place to eat is the Magic food court on the 1st floor, while perhaps the most comfortable and relaxing of the airport's restaurants and cafes is the Sky Lounge on the 5th floor. Here you can have your latte while sitting in plush leather sofas and enjoying a panoramic view over the runways - prices are also quite reasonable with coffee around 70 baht a cup. There are a few stores in the check in area, but the real shopping experience awaits travelers the other side of immigration in the departure lounge area.

Departure Tax

Bangkok charges a departure tax (called the "Passenger Service Charge") of 500 baht for international flights, payable in cash after check-in. Be sure to leave enough baht in your pocket to cover this!

For flights after February 1, 2007, the tax will be included in tickets instead and paying it at the airport will no longer be necessary.

Transportation

Limousine taxis (which charge by distance, e.g. around 800 baht to central Sukhumvit) can be reserved at the limousine hire counter on the 2nd floor, and a limited number of ordinary metered taxis are available outside the exit on the 1st floor. If there is a huge taxi queue, consider taking a free shuttle bus to the satellite terminal, which has more taxis. There is a 50 baht surcharge on the meter, meaning that trips to the city will cost 300-400 baht (plus 65 baht highway tolls) and take 40-60 minutes depending on traffic.

There is also a stop outside the 1st floor exit for airport express buses [3], which charge a flat 150 baht and operate hourly until midnight, covering four routes, each taking about 60 to 90 minutes:

AE1: Suvarnabhumi-Silom

AE2: Suvarnabhumi-Khao San Road

AE3: Suvarnabhumi-Sukhumvit

AE4: Suvarnahhumi-Victory Monument-Hua Lamphong (train station)

Local (Bangkok) public buses to/from Suvarnabhumi charge a flat 35 baht. To take a public bus, you must first take a free shuttle bus ride of several kilometers to the separate terminal. The lines are:

549: Suvarnabhumi - Bangkapi

550: Suvarnabhumi - Happy Land

551: Suvarnabhumi - Victory Monument (BTS)

552: Suvarnabhumi - On Nut (BTS)-Klong Toei

552A: Suvarnabhumi - Sam Rong

553: Suvarnabhumi - Samut Phrakan

554: Suvarnabhumi - Rangsit

555: Suvarnabhumi - Rangsit (Expressway)

556: Suvarnabhumi - Southern Bus Terminal

557: Suvarnabhumi - Wong Vean Yai (This route have been canceled and merged with route 558.)

558: Suvarnabhumi - Central Rama II

559: Suvarnabhumi - Rangsit (Outer Ring Road)

These lines would take about 1 hour to 2 hours depending on Bangkok traffic and frequency of service and are usually every 20 mins during day time and night time is raging from 20 mins to 1 hour depending on each route. Long-distance 1st class bus services connect Suvarnabhumi directly with Chachoengsao, Hua Hin, Nong Khai, Pattaya, Rayong, and Trat.

An airport express train to the future City Air Terminal at Makkasan (connecting to MRT Phetchaburi) and onward to Phayathai (connecting to BTS Phayathai) is under construction, but is not expected to be ready before the end of 2007 at the earliest. Die-hard rail fans with lots of time to kill can take bus 517 to Hua Takhe station (15 baht), a few km from the airport, and continue on any 3rd class train to Asok or Hualamphong (7 baht).

Accommodation

At present, there are only a few hotels located near Suvarnabhumi Airport, though with huge construction projects planned for the area this will change over the next few years. Day room facilities for transit passengers are now available at the 'Miracle Grand Louis Tavern' on floor 4, section G (Tel+66 6 317-2211, 2000 baht per 4-hour block, no reservations accepted).

Novotel Suvarnabhumi Airport hotel, Suvarnabhumi Airport. Tel:+66 2 131 1111 [email protected]. The only hotel in the airport itself, connected to the main airport terminal by a pedestrian bridge. Rooms: 3,500+ baht.

Royal Princess Srinakarin, 905 Moo 6, Srinakarin Road, Nongbon, Pravet. Tel:+66 2 728-400. Fax:721- 8432 - a 20-30 minute drive from airport. Rooms 3,500+ baht.

Grand Inn Come hotel, 99 Moo 6, Kingkaew Road, Rachataeva, Bangplee, Samutprakan. Tel:+66 2 738 8191-3 - about a 15-20 minute drive from the airport. Bus 553 stops here. Rooms between 1,200 - 2,000 baht.

Ratchana Place. 199 Moo 4, Bangna Trad Highway Road, Bangbo, Samutprakan 10540 Tel:+66 2 313-4480-9 [email protected] - about 15-20 mins drive from the airport. Rooms between 350 - 700 baht.

The previous Don Muang Airport, 20 km north of downtown, now serves only general aviation and limited charter flights as well as the Royal Thai Air Force.

Extracted from Wikitravel: Suvarnabhumi Airport

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to add some information that I have gathered during my last two arrivals and departures.

This airport is large and you could have a fair walk before you get to immigration. There are travalators but not a lot of them. On arrival I only have one thing on my mind and that is to get out ASAP so details are a bit sketchy of the facilities available before immigration. I did notice that there are some shops along the way. On arrival on both occasions I have got through immigration very fast.

In the baggage return area there is a currency exchange but they only accept cash. This is true for passengers that exit through door C (there are 3, A - C.) On both occasions I have exited through that door but I don't know if it is coincidence or by design. I have found baggage return to be reasonable but not great. On exiting to the public area there are plenty of currency exchanges and ATMs.

Unless you want a limousine or have arranged transport do not exit the terminal on the arrivals level. If you have arranged transport you best option is to arrange with your driver to call them (best if you have a valid SIM and credit) when you are ready to be picked up. This is because parking can be a fair distance for the terminal. Take note of the door number (1 - 20, I think) and tell them which one you are at. Jan asked me to cross the first road and wait at the second. If you want a metered taxi go to the lowest level and exit the terminal there. Approach the people at the tables outside to organise a taxi.

On both times I have departed the wait at immigration was about 30 minutes. I don't know why immigration on entry is very efficient and on exiting it is not efficient...TiT

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

• 1 month later...
I would like to add some information that I have gathered during my last two arrivals and departures.

This airport is large and you could have a fair walk before you get to immigration. There are travalators but not a lot of them. On arrival I only have one thing on my mind and that is to get out ASAP so details are a bit sketchy of the facilities available before immigration. I did notice that there are some shops along the way. On arrival on both occasions I have got through immigration very fast.

In the baggage return area there is a currency exchange but they only accept cash. This is true for passengers that exit through door C (there are 3, A - C.) On both occasions I have exited through that door but I don't know if it is coincidence or by design. I have found baggage return to be reasonable but not great. On exiting to the public area there are plenty of currency exchanges and ATMs.

Unless you want a limousine or have arranged transport do not exit the terminal on the arrivals level. If you have arranged transport you best option is to arrange with your driver to call them (best if you have a valid SIM and credit) when you are ready to be picked up. This is because parking can be a fair distance for the terminal. Take note of the door number (1 - 20, I think) and tell them which one you are at. Jan asked me to cross the first road and wait at the second. If you want a metered taxi go to the lowest level and exit the terminal there. Approach the people at the tables outside to organise a taxi.

On both times I have departed the wait at immigration was about 30 minutes. I don't know why immigration on entry is very efficient and on exiting it is not efficient...TiT

Good morning chaps

Can anyone let me know if there is customer parking at the airport ?

I may be picking up family & freinds in April & I would like to know if its possible, or do they have to get a taxi.

Good morning chaps

Can anyone let me know if there is customer parking at the airport ?

I may be picking up family & freinds in April & I would like to know if its possible, or do they have to get a taxi.

Of course plenty of parking. When you pre arrange for a cab to pick you up, they park in in the area meant for guest pick-up...

Edited by ifriendyou

Of course plenty of parking. When you pre arrange for a cab to pick you up, they park in in the area meant for guest pick-up...

Just to add ,make sure no one parks in front of you while you are picking up, or you wont get out, to save walking they park in front on parked cars on and around arrival level.

• 2 months later...

Bangkok charges a departure tax (called the "Passenger Service Charge") of 500 baht for international flights, payable in cash after check-in. Be sure to leave enough baht in your pocket to cover this!

Just wondering if this is still true about the departure tax now bein included in the ticket price, no matter which airline? just trying to work how much money i have for my last nite out :(

Maybe this will help, I have just flown out of Bangkok, went to pay the usual 500bt only to find booths closed. When I asked what is going on, they said " no pay now"

No, idea if this is an ongoing policy, but it helped me buy more duty free.

It is now 700 Baht not 500, and you already payed it.

It's added on to the price of your ticket.