Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | The Night Wish Group | Thailand 24/7 Forum | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News | | Pattaya Investigations | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

renaming MP3 files

pubstud

I have tons of MP3 files that I've ripped from CDs. The files have names like "01 Track 1" and none of these files have MP3 tags. Since ripping these CDs I have searched the Net and found the real names of the individual songs and have copied the lists of these song titles, keeping them as text files inside the folders with the MP3 files.

Now I'm in the process of renaming the MP3 files and giving them their correct song titles. What I have been doing is manually renaming each individual MP3 file by copying and pasting the titles from the text files. Neddless to say this is a long slow process, especially when there are thousands of songs.

I have searched the Net and looked at several file renaming programs but none are suitable, they still require you to put in each individual file name.

Is there a program out there that will allow me to select and add a bunch of MP3 files, then copy the song titles from the text files and paste them into a box and hit a button and "Hey Presto" the MP3 files now have the new names?

Probably not the answer you want to hear but it may be easier to rip them again using a ripper that will name the files for you.

I have tons of MP3 files that I've ripped from CDs. The files have names like "01 Track 1" and none of these files have MP3 tags. Since ripping these CDs I have searched the Net and found the real names of the individual songs and have copied the lists of these song titles, keeping them as text files inside the folders with the MP3 files.

Now I'm in the process of renaming the MP3 files and giving them their correct song titles. What I have been doing is manually renaming each individual MP3 file by copying and pasting the titles from the text files. Neddless to say this is a long slow process, especially when there are thousands of songs.

I have searched the Net and looked at several file renaming programs but none are suitable, they still require you to put in each individual file name.

Is there a program out there that will allow me to select and add a bunch of MP3 files, then copy the song titles from the text files and paste them into a box and hit a button and "Hey Presto" the MP3 files now have the new names?

very simple perl script if you install activeperl :

#!/usr/bin/perl

# change filename to test then testonly to N to run.

use File::Copy;

my $filename = "listoffilenames.txt";

my $testonly = "Y";

open (FILE,"$filename")|| print ("Could not open file $filename\n");

my $lineno = 1;

my @newfilenames = ();

while ( <FILE> ) {

$newfilenames[$lineno] = $_;

$lineno++;

}

close FILE;

opendir(DIR,".");

my @files = readdir(DIR);

close(DIR);

my $filecount = 0;

foreach my $file(sort @files) {

if (($file eq ".") || ($file eq "..")) {

next;

}

$filecount++;

if (-d "$dir/$file") {

next;

}

if (defined($newfilenames[$filecount]) && $file =~ m/mp3/i) {

print "renaming $file to $newfilenames[$filecount]\n";

move($file,$newfilenames[$filecount]) if !$testonly;

}

}

O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

Probably not the answer you want to hear but it may be easier to rip them again using a ripper that will name the files for you.

I agree, I had the same problem years ago before on-line music databases became so good. I had loads of stuff ripped without full titles etc. I just ripped them again, in fact I have ripped over 1,000 CD's 3 times now! I won't have to do it again, as I have a Master library of all FLAC files and these can be converted to any format I wish now, with just a few mouse clicks. :GoldenSmile1:

Nah can't rip them again, they're from a hundred different sources, borrowed from mates and so forth, guess I'll just have to continue renaming them manually, but I'm surprised there isn't a software out there to do the job, doesn't seem like much to ask for.

Thanks for your idea praf974 but that all seems like Japanese to me. I haven't the foggiest idea what all that means. But many thanks nonetheless for your suggestion.

lol ok , well if you get REALLY fed up .. i can give you an executable version (will only take me 10 mins) .. can take a text file list of new filenames and rename every file in the current directory (sorted 01*, 02* etc) to the corresponding filename in the text file. perl is great to know for doing odd jobs on your computer!

O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

Well I would appreciate that very much, I did find a small freeware program today that does exactly what I want except the new names from the text files must not have white space, and of course they all do have white spaces between the song titles and artists first names and surnames, so I don't feel like going through the thousands of lists and closing all the white spaces.

So if your executable version can accept white space then bingo, sounds like the answer.

This software is the best there is:

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

I have been using this for many years and recommended it for many happy users, and do recommend this highly. It does not get any better. This does exactly what you want and more.

Let me know if you need help with this. As I said, I have been using it for years and quite familiar with it.

In addition to what you want, you can use this to add album pics, lyrics, and anything else that can be added to a mp3 file.

sure if tariqs suggestion doesnt work for you, pm me your email address (and a couple of lines from one of your text files to double check) and ill email you back the script above converted to an executable you can run in a dos window (no problems with spaces)!

sure if tariqs suggestion doesnt work for you, pm me your email address (and a couple of lines from one of your text files to double check) and ill email you back the script above converted to an executable you can run in a dos window (no problems with spaces)!

I have re-read your script, then re-read the OP and I think that I made a mistake.

The program I proposed modifies the Id3 tags of an mp3 file and the file name from the id3 tag information.

For the purpose of the op:

I suggest that you use the perl script to rename files as you want.

Then, if you like, you can use Mp3tag to change the tag information from empty to actual titles. You can also add artist information, album names, year of album, album cover ... etc. You do this so that your mp3 player can display all these information during play time.

My apologies for misunderstanding your requirement and confusing the issue further.

Yes, I had a look at the software you suggested, same old story with everything out there, it relies on having tags, but when I ripped all these CDs I just got them on my computer as MP3 files with no titles and no tags. So all these programs that various people recommend to me won't do anything because they work off tags. I'm certainly not the only guy on the planet who has ripped CDs without downloading the music details at the time (many of these rips go back years ago when I wasn't even online) So I can't believe that nobody hasn't already made a small program to do the job. As I said earlier I have found one but it rejects the new names because of white spaces, which seems F'n dumb to me. I only know about using computers in Windows and don't understand anything about writing scripts or using things in DOS, so I doubt if I could use praf974 idea either - as soon as I read "you can run in a dos window" my blood ran cold. So that rules that out. Thanks again for your interest and advice.

:( it makes my head hurt just thinking of someone go through that many files and manually renaming them lol, but maybe your safer doing that if your really unsure!

if you change your mind dos window is just ..

Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

cd c:\mymusic\girls_aloud (change directory/folder to album location on c drive)

renamefiles (prafs executable name)