IGNORED

Thailand Tourist FAQ

US-Farang

Just for US residents.

Two entry tourist visas (and single entry of course) are free until March 31, 2011. Just received mine today, only cost is postage. Mine was from the NY consulate and took only 8 days from mailing it to getting it back. Cost $5.60 for Priority mail with delivery confirmation to send it to the consulate plus $18.30 for prepaid Express Mail return. Total Cost $23.90.

Awesome news! I plan to get a two entry tourist Visa for my next stay in Pattaya. I had originally planned to do a 3 month stay but I might extend my stay to 4-5 months if I can swing it :) The two entry tourist visa will be perfect and I will only need to do one visa run hehe :)

Question though, with the two entry tourist visa issued by the US, do you need to enter Thailand within 90 days of receiving it? I'm not sure on my exact arrival (likely December/Jan) so I wasn't sure if I should get it now to have it and be done with it.. or if I need to wait until I'm closer to knowing my exact departure.

Someday, somebody will ski that

Awesome news! I plan to get a two entry tourist Visa for my next stay in Pattaya. I had originally planned to do a 3 month stay but I might extend my stay to 4-5 months if I can swing it :) The two entry tourist visa will be perfect and I will only need to do one visa run hehe :)

Question though, with the two entry tourist visa issued by the US, do you need to enter Thailand within 90 days of receiving it? I'm not sure on my exact arrival (likely December/Jan) so I wasn't sure if I should get it now to have it and be done with it.. or if I need to wait until I'm closer to knowing my exact departure.

Yes you do have to enter within 90 days otherwise it is not valid.

Definitely wait until you have booked your flight as they want to see a copy of your itinerary. Secondly you have to do the first border run the day before the enter before date which is three months after the issue date. You need to allow a minimum of two weeks before your departure date for processing the visa (more if there are holidays during the period)so about three weeks before your departure would be ideal, you get 60 days on entry so a border run then would give you a total of 119 days that you could extend at Jomtien for a further 30days if you needed to.

Edited by DP Gumbypgh

Taoism: sh*t happens

Buddhism: if sh*t happens, it isn't really sh*t

Islam: if sh*t happens, it is the will of Allah

Catholicism: if sh*t happens, you deserve it

Judaism: why does this sh*t always happen to us?

Atheism: I don't believe this sh*t

Secondly you have to do the first border run the day before the enter before date which is three months after the issue date.

Lost me on this part hehe :)

When I enter Thailand the first 60 day period begins, correct? So if I plan to only stay 4-5 months MAX.. I should do the following

-Enter Thailand as planned

-After 58-59 days go on a visa run to Cambodia then re-enter Thailand

-After another 58-59 days either leave and go home and or go to Jomtien to file for a 30 day extension and then go home once that 30 days is up.

No need to do an extension on the first 58-59 days as I don't plan to stay a full 6 months, so put that saved 1900 baht (extension fee) towards my visa run trip :)

Is this correct?

Edited by FreeSki

Someday, somebody will ski that

Thanks for the post US-Farang great work!!! Raises an interesting question. I have a buddy that was going to come with me next trip but about 20 years ago he was arrested for (unauthorized use of a vehicle) in the states (felony). He was denied entry into Canada Before because of this,So I guess if you have a felony conviction he will be denied entry? It Kinda suck to travel all that way and be denied entry!!!! I guess I should tell him to send his passport in the Thai embassy for a visa at least that way he would know before we left. Has anyone here entered with a felony Conviction? or Traveled with a Buddy with one?

Canada doesnt like americains if you ever had a dwi or any conviction feony or lesser crime they will denie entry to canada.the bunch of cunts :Kissass: fuck who would wanta go there any how

Lost me on this part hehe :)

When I enter Thailand the first 60 day period begins, correct? So if I plan to only stay 4-5 months MAX.. I should do the following

-Enter Thailand as planned

-After 58-59 days go on a visa run to Cambodia then re-enter Thailand

-After another 58-59 days either leave and go home and or go to Jomtien to file for a 30 day extension and then go home once that 30 days is up.

No need to do an extension on the first 58-59 days as I don't plan to stay a full 6 months, so put that saved 1900 baht (extension fee) towards my visa run trip :)

Is this correct?

Yes as long as the enter before date is after you do your visa run. As long as you apply for the visa three weeks before you leave this will be the case.

• 3 months later...

Hi thanks for the info posted above, all very helpful.

I have a question though, I plan to arrive in BKK, stay 3 days then head to Vietnam and Cambodia and return 15 days later. Then another 10 days in Thailand, all completed within 30 days. My question is do I need 2 visas for this (one for each entry), or when I leave for Vietnam is it possible to not have my departure slip removed, and just leave it in my passport until i leave the country to return home? Any help would be great

Thanks

Looking Sir...Have your size, many colour...You buy now, no later

Hi thanks for the info posted above, all very helpful.

I have a question though, I plan to arrive in BKK, stay 3 days then head to Vietnam and Cambodia and return 15 days later. Then another 10 days in Thailand, all completed within 30 days. My question is do I need 2 visas for this (one for each entry), or when I leave for Vietnam is it possible to not have my departure slip removed, and just leave it in my passport until i leave the country to return home? Any help would be great

Thanks

You do not need a visa for what you want to do. Each entry into Thailand will give you 30 days by air or 15 days if you enter by land. Enjoy your trip.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey, my flight to Thailand is on the 6th march, and I plan to stay for 5 months (on a gap year) - with a return ticket booked for 1st Aug.

During this time, I will most likely end up working for a Scuba Diving Centre for the majority of the trip.

Obviously I cant apply for a work visa until I've actually secured employment and applied etc.

So, which visa should I 'get', and do I need to sort anything out before I set off on the 6th march? (11 days time)

• 1 month later...

I hope this pinned thread isn't really outdated, but I have a question regarding the amount of cash required upon arrival (10,000BHT).

I've come across this figure in several other websites including travel tips sites and those with similar information on obtaining visas. Now my question is, is it really required? Are they strict about it? Thailand is at the end of my two-month backpacking trip in N/SE-Asia and I don't really want to carry around ~$333 in BHT for the entire two months if I can avoid it; I would most likely just have enough to get me to the nearest ATM machine. I wonder though if ATMs are easily found somewhere between the gate and customs..

Any tips/ideas?

"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

I've never heard of this requirement. I wouldn't worry about it. I've never had 10k on me going through immigration. Can get through that a night on Walking Street very easy though!

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

I hope this pinned thread isn't really outdated, but I have a question regarding the amount of cash required upon arrival (10,000BHT).

I've come across this figure in several other websites including travel tips sites and those with similar information on obtaining visas. Now my question is, is it really required? Are they strict about it?

........................................................................................

I've never heard of this requirement. I wouldn't worry about it. I've never had 10k on me going through immigration. Can get through that a night on walking street very easy though!

I have heard of it, but I can't give a link or source, and I'm sure the majority of BMs won't have come across it and don't carry 10k on them. It may be somewhere in the Visa Regulations. I think the answer must be no, they are not strict about it.

My recollection is that approximately within the past year or so, Thai Immi' at BKK used the rule to refuse entry to a group of travellers who could not show they had the required means to support themselves and they were returned home.

My memory is weak, but I believe the group (maybe 10 or so) were from India and, not surprisingly it made the news.

I've never heard of this requirement. I wouldn't worry about it. I've never had 10k on me going through immigration. Can get through that a night on walking street very easy though!

I have heard of it, but I can't give a link or source, and I'm sure the majority of BMs won't have come across it and don't carry 10k on them. It may be somewhere in the Visa Regulations. I think the answer must be no, they are not strict about it.

My recollection is that approximately within the past year or so, Thai Immi' at BKK used the rule to refuse entry to a group of travellers who could not show they had the required means to support themselves and they were returned home.

My memory is weak, but I believe the group (maybe 10 or so) were from India and, not surprisingly it made the news.

Thank you guys so much for the info. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about this the first time I read it online. I wouldn't know how to justify carrying around 10kB with me for my entire trip leading up to Bangkok. Lol~

Not to get too off topic here, but I'm sure there are plenty of ATMs in the BKK airport, as well as the downtown city, but are they readily available in Pattaya as well? How do most people get around Pattaya? Cash or credit?

Thanks again guys!

"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

• 2 weeks later...

I understand that if I apply for a 60 day tourist visa in the USA before I leave for LOS, I can get a 30 day visa extension at an immigration office in LOS. So I am planning to stay 89 days. If I have to show my airline ticket to get the 60 day tourist visa, do I book a flight for 59 or 60 days out then change my airline ticket to 30 days later when I get to LOS (could be expensive to change ticket dates). Or do I just book my airline ticket for 89 days and just show them that airline ticket?

Next, if I decide I want to stay 2 months after my 60 day tourist visa and 30 day extension is up, what do I have to do to stay the extra 2 months?

Thank you guys so much for the info. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about this the first time I read it online. I wouldn't know how to justify carrying around 10kB with me for my entire trip leading up to Bangkok. Lol~

Not to get too off topic here, but I'm sure there are plenty of ATMs in the BKK airport, as well as the downtown city, but are they readily available in Pattaya as well? How do most people get around Pattaya? Cash or credit?

Thanks again guys!

Sorry, just saw your second question.

There are ATMs everywhere in Patts, in fact just about every 7/11 and family mart has 1 and there is a 7/11 or family mart practically every 100 metres in the busy areas.

Cash is king in Pattaya. In fact I would advise against using a credit or debit card except in ATMs.

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

I understand that if I apply for a 60 day tourist visa in the USA before I leave for LOS, I can get a 30 day visa extension at an immigration office in LOS. So I am planning to stay 89 days. If I have to show my airline ticket to get the 60 day tourist visa, do I book a flight for 59 or 60 days out then change my airline ticket to 30 days later when I get to LOS (could be expensive to change ticket dates). Or do I just book my airline ticket for 89 days and just show them that airline ticket?

Next, if I decide I want to stay 2 months after my 60 day tourist visa and 30 day extension is up, what do I have to do to stay the extra 2 months?

Not sure about the US but in the UK they don't ask about airline tickets when you apply for a visa. You should check with the airline before flying as it is up to them to ensure you have a visa. If the person on the phone says it is ok make sure you get them to put that in writing to you as it will be the ground staff at the airport who decide if they let you board or not.

As for the extra 2 months you would need to do a visa run or 2. Others will be able to answer this question better as the last time I was able to do more than 3 months 'o' type visas were easily got, not so now apparently.

RULES

1NQq.gif

Buy your ticket for whenever you plan to travel. IME it won't be an issue.

To stay another 2 months beyond your 60 + 30 you will have to go out (eg Cambodia) or use an Agent to get another 60 day TV.

• 3 weeks later...

If I choose to buy an airline ticket with an open return, will that complicate the matter at all? Thanks

Stillakid

In my opinion,the best you can do will be,to inform yourself every month

about the news given by the thai goverment.Because they change the law sometimes

quicker as you will change your underwear as well.And if you do, you ever will be on the right side

of the thai law.Cheers mate.

post-1-0-28227900-1338976307.gif

If I choose to buy an airline ticket with an open return, will that complicate the matter at all? Thanks

Stillakid

You might want to check with your travel agent.....I asked that question the other day and was told no I can not get an open ticket. That was stoped after 9-11.

Thanks for the information US-Farang, very useful topic.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your advice. I have not found a reply to my issue and I hope you or one of the BM's can advise. I am travelling on an Australian passport and I propose to fly to Cambodia through BKK as a direct transit passenger. I will stay in Cambodia for a week before returning to BKK where I hope to avail of the 30 day tourist visa.

Am I required to have a multi entry visa issued through a Thai consulate or embassy or is a different visa issued for my transit travel from BKK to Cambodia.If I was booking through a travel agent I could ask but I will look at making my own travel arrangements as a single traveller. Obviously I don't wish to strike difficulties.

Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

If I fly into Bangkok, stay a few days, then fly out of BKK to Luang Prabang, then fly back to BKK, do I get 30 days in thailand again?

• 4 weeks later...

hello i am flying with jetairways from heatrow to bangkok with connecting fly in mumbai if i need to get a transit visa?

Great post. Very good info condensed here. Thanks.