IGNORED

Query - Bangkok/Pattaya magic tattoo?

About 6am on Wednesday, April 14, 2010, I was watching the Discovery channel on television and saw a program called Tattoo Hunter.

In this program episode, the narrator explained the magical Thai Buddhist tattoo that he was getting from a monk. Such a tatoo would protect him from evil, knife attacks, and bullets for a lifetime. But, he had to obtain periodically more Buddhist blessings during his lifetime for the tatoo to retain its magic.

In one scene, where hundreds of Thai men sat outside around monks who were chanting, the animal spirit of their tattoo became strengthen and animated to such an extent that the spirit took control of the men. Those men would act like a tiger, alligator, or whatever animal their tattoo was. Special yellow tee shirt-clad men would restrain those convulsing violent men and tug their ears to break the spirit-dominated trance.

A monk selected the tatoo for the narrator, which was appropriate for him. It was a special tatoo of 29 temples, laid out across his upper back in the outline of the upper half of an airplane or soaring bird. A sharpened skewer dipped in black ink was used by the monk to pierce the skin. It did look mystical. Other tattoos of this type looked like other icons (such as ying-yang symbol, tiger, etc) but the lines within the icon were composed of tiny Thai alaphabet writings.

My questions are:

1. Has any your barfined animal-tattooed girl turned into her animal while in bed?

2. Do you know where I can get a small magical Thai Buddhist tattoo in Bangkok or Pattaya and approximate cost? I might get one as my first tattoo.

I like the tattoo of a unicorn. You know, that one horny animal that virgins want to stroke.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slacker

• Bam_Bam

• PepeLePew

• worthy42

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its called Sak Yant, generally done by a monk with a bamboo stick. Most of the time it is written in an ancient version of Cambodian sanskrit called Khmer. I have one in the form of a tiger on my right upper arm, only tattoo I have and I get compliments from just about everyone. It has 4 different protection scripts, a speed one, good luck/charm/fortune, and champions power. As to if it turns you into a animal in bed, well you would just have to ask the missus that. :001_Thank_You5:

Check out some temples in Bangkok, my girlfriend's sister got one on her neck, and a thai bouncer I knew had one over his back. They both offered to take me to get another but I forgot the temple name, was intoxicated at the time. Pretty cheap too, depending on the size I think. The GF's sister had one about the size of a coaster which she said only took 15-30 minutes and cost 300 baht.

• 4 months later...

I wanted to get one, but didn't know they actually did it at the temples. Is it hygienic? I met 2 BG that had them on their back.

Wat Bang Phra is approximately 30 miles West of Bangkok and is very popular for people wishing to receive traditional Sak Yant tattoos. It could well be a long day-trip from Pattaya and would require a bit of planning from someone familiar with the routine, but maybe your BF could help you out if you got on well with her. Failing that, I was offered a bamboo tattoo with traditional Sak Yant themes from 'Bamboo' tattoo shop situated on Soi 3 near the Second Road end. Their contact number is 083-2995668. Edited by Slacker

Be prepared to get the tattoo on the upper portion of your body. The top of the head is sacred, so it should be as close to the head as possible...getting it on your leg is no good. This is why you see many of the Sak Yant tattoos on the upper back. I initially wanted mine on my left ribcage, but was advised it would be better to get it higher, so I got it on the upper left part of my back.

Angelina Jolie (yes, the actress) got one done when she was in Thailand. You can see pictures of it if you do a photo search for her on Google or Yahoo. Mine is similar to hers.

In Pattaya your best bet is Archan / Ajarn Anek, check out the website below, if you decide you want to go out there best call first, I believe he is not there at present.

http://www.poodumtattoo.com/

Bam Bam

That which doesn't kill me only makes me stronger

In Pattaya your best bet is Archan / Ajarn Anek, check out the website below, if you decide you want to go out there best call first, I believe he is not there at present.

Bam Bam

I hope he is available sometime in NOV. Have you been and do you receive one from him? I will probably need someone that can speak Thai to arrange an appt. Thanks for the suggestion.

Bam Bam

Yes, he does nice work, but is NOT A MONK. Might as well just get the tattoo at a tattoo shop if that is what you are looking for. For it to be a true Sak Yant, it must be done by a monk and blessed.

Never trust anything that can bleed for 5-7 days and still live!!

Life is not the amount of breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away

<center><embed src="http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-vacation/show.swf?clickURL=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/&clickLABEL=MySpace Countdown Clocks&flashLABEL=Countdown Clock Codes&skin=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-vacation/skins/28.jpg&text=Until%20I%20am%20balls%20deep%20in%20some%20Thai%20pussy%21%21&untilColor=6724095&textColor=0&datesColor=0&year=2011&month=0&day=28&hour=19&minute=15&second=0&x=6&y=77" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="300" height="200" name="countdown" align="middle" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /><br><small><a href="http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/">MySpace Countdown Clocks</a></small></center>

Yes, he does nice work, but is NOT A MONK. Might as well just get the tattoo at a tattoo shop if that is what you are looking for. For it to be a true Sak Yant, it must be done by a monk and blessed.

Unfortunately that is a load of crap, they can also be done by an Ajarn, which means "Master" his brother inlaw is a Monk as was his Uncle who was his Ajarn and he can bless them. If you were to repeat that in front of his believers they'd slap you down.

Archan (thats how he spells it) Anek's, Monk brother inlaw and most of his devotees would like to dispute your baseless claim of needing to be a Monk to do the "Genuine" Sak Yant and it's "Genuine" blessing.

It is widely believed among his followers that every Sak Yant he creates is with the aid of Poodum, his dead uncle, guiding his hand and the blessing are from Poodum via Archan Anek.

Archan Anek has done some things in front of me, that defy my beliefs and I have no answers for, which I won't go into for a non believer like yourself.

Perhaps you should keep you comments to things you know about.

Bam Bam

Edited by Bam_Bam

Unfortunately that is a load of crap, they can also be done by an Ajarn, which means "Master" his brother inlaw is a Monk as was his Uncle who was his Ajarn and he can bless them. If you were to repeat that in front of his believers they'd slap you down.

Archan (thats how he spells it) Anek's, Monk brother inlaw and most of his devotees would like to dispute your baseless claim of needing to be a Monk to do the "Genuine" Sak Yant and it's "Genuine" blessing.

It is widely believed among his followers that every Sak Yant he creates is with the aid of Poodum, his dead uncle, guiding his hand and the blessing are from Poodum via Archan Anek.

Archan Anek has done some things in front of me, that defy my beliefs and I have no answers for, which I won't go into for a non believer like yourself.

Perhaps you should keep you comments to things you know about.

Bam Bam

Believe what you like. I prefer to get mine done by a REAL monk who has dedicated his life to both being a monk and a tattoo master. Anek is all about the money, with the average Sak Yant running 3000 baht. Temple monks who do Sak Yants expect a 300 baht donation.

Just because someone has relatives who are/were monks and followers doesn't make them 'holy". David Koresh had a bunch of followers, called Branch Davidians, but he certainly wasnt holy in any way........

Never trust anything that can bleed for 5-7 days and still live!!

Life is not the amount of breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away

<center><embed src="http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-vacation/show.swf?clickURL=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/&clickLABEL=MySpace Countdown Clocks&flashLABEL=Countdown Clock Codes&skin=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-vacation/skins/28.jpg&text=Until%20I%20am%20balls%20deep%20in%20some%20Thai%20pussy%21%21&untilColor=6724095&textColor=0&datesColor=0&year=2011&month=0&day=28&hour=19&minute=15&second=0&x=6&y=77" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="300" height="200" name="countdown" align="middle" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /><br><small><a href="http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/">MySpace Countdown Clocks</a></small></center>

Just thought I'd add some info about the tattoo I got...

It's called Haa Thaew Khawm (Five Lines of Khawm) and below is what each line represents.

1 – Charms

2 – Good Fortune

3 – Successful Job & Business

4 – Zodiac Sign

5 – Charisma

• 3 months later...

No, never any my barfined animal-tattooed girl did not turn into her animal while in bed. I love tattoos a lot and i love this one tattoo design so much.

men-tattoos.jpg

Basically this tattoo photo is taken from Tattoos

While I'm not in a position to argue about authenticity, the quote from Poodum Tattoo (and I got a Thai friend to ask the questions) was significantly higher than that of Bamboo Tattoo on Soi 3. This rather flies in the face of the claim on the website that you will get a quality job done at the fraction of the price quoted elsewhere. It doesn't seem very spiritual to charge the equivalent of £60-70 for what is a very simple piece of tattooing. Mine cost me 200 THB from a man that used to be a monk at Wat Bang Phra - not only was the price a lot more attractive than the 3,500 THB quoted by Poodum, the whole process seemed more in keeping with what the tattoo stood for.

While I'm not in a position to argue about authenticity, the quote from Poodum Tattoo (and I got a Thai friend to ask the questions) was significantly higher than that of Bamboo Tattoo on Soi 3. This rather flies in the face of the claim on the website that you will get a quality job done at the fraction of the price quoted elsewhere. It doesn't seem very spiritual to charge the equivalent of £60-70 for what is a very simple piece of tattooing. Mine cost me 200 THB from a man that used to be a monk at Wat Bang Phra - not only was the price a lot more attractive than the 3,500 THB quoted by Poodum, the whole process seemed more in keeping with what the tattoo stood for.

I must say, since I created that website, Archan Anek has raised his prices considerably, When I had mine done they cost me 300 baht plus whatever the cost of the offerings on the plate where, I have suggested to my wife that she should speak to him about what he is charging and suggest that it is too high, but in typical Thai style she said she could not do that.

So maybe it is time to make some changes to the wording on the website.

I will also add that I am yet to see a Sak Yant that was done with a piece of bamboo that is of the same quality and contains the same detail as one of Archarn Aneks Sak Yants.

Bam Bam

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody been to Bamboo Tattoo on Soi3 recently?

I would love one called 'Yant Paed Tidt'(8 directional Yant) in the upper part of my back and 'Gao Yord'(like an up turned chandelier?) above it.

Anybody had anything similar from there and could tell me how much they paid? Thanks.

Yeah my understanding is that it's bad luck to get one from a regular tattoo artist. That one guy seems kinda monkish though so you might be ok :)

Up to you I guess.

Believe what you like. I prefer to get mine done by a REAL monk who has dedicated his life to both being a monk and a tattoo master. Anek is all about the money, with the average Sak Yant running 3000 baht. Temple monks who do Sak Yants expect a 300 baht donation.

Just because someone has relatives who are/were monks and followers doesn't make them 'holy". David Koresh had a bunch of followers, called Branch Davidians, but he certainly wasnt holy in any way........

The definition of 'monk' in Thai bhudism is somewhat different to the western way of thinking about a monk. You would be suprised how many Thai men can quite legitimately call themselves a 'monk'. Of course there is then the hierarchy. Obviously someone who spent 3 months in a temple and can call themselves a monk is on a slightly lower plane than a permanent temple resident.

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

Very interesting thread....would love to have one done next time i am in Patts

However, how painful is it? How safe is it?

Bam Bam

However, how painful is it? How safe is it?

Compared to a machine Tat, it is not at all painful, I fell asleep when I got my first one, only places it hurts a bit is around your spine and around your lower back / kidneys.

Don't know about the guy in Soi 3, but to the best of my knowledge, no one has ever got an infection from a Sak Yant from Archarn Anek.

Bam Bam

I would love one called 'Yant Paed Tidt'(8 directional Yant) in the upper part of my back and 'Gao Yord'(like an up turned chandelier?) above it.

Anybody had anything similar from there and could tell me how much they paid? Thanks.

Here is a Paed Tidt that Archarn Anek did recently, this guy was holidaying in Phuket and travelled to Pattaya just to get this done, speaks volumes for his reputation

paed_tidt.jpg

Bam Bam

I got one from the soi 3 guy. Very good work and far less painfull than the machine. Wasn't a bhudist tattoo, I got a Japanese style fish. Best bit of bamboo tattooing though is it doesn't mash up your flesh so it takes much shorter time to heal. You can go swiming next day if you want.

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

I will also add that I am yet to see a Sak Yant that was done with a piece of bamboo that is of the same quality and contains the same detail as one of Archarn Aneks Sak Yants.

Bam Bam

I have been doing alot of investigation on Sak Yant, and I must say Ajarn Anek's work looks very good. Really solid, clean lines. Everyone goes on about Wat Bang Phra, and I know there are many different monks that do tattoos there, but I have seen some absolute rubbish tattoo come out of the place, really crap line, just an arrangement of dots really, like a join the dots picture. I don't want a crap tattoo, regardless of how magic it is.

I'm dabbling with the idea of getting some Sak Yant when Im in Pattaya in April, I do Muay Thai, and both my Thai trainers here have them, one on his hands for knockout power, the other has em all over his body for good luck, safety, strength, various other reasons. I moght check out this bamboo tattoo place on soi 3, but really if Im going to get it done at a shop that isn't qaulified to do the blessing, I could just go to a tattoo shop here and get them done.

Bam Bam, does Ajarn Anek work out of a shop or a temple? Is he ok with people coming just to have a look? As much as I like the look and idea of Sak Yant, I'm not buddhist, so I feel like it would be kinda disrespectful to get one, I'd really like to have a look at the process and maybe have a chat to Ajarn Anek to help me make my mind up.

Bam Bam, does Ajarn Anek work out of a shop or a temple? Is he ok with people coming just to have a look? As much as I like the look and idea of Sak Yant, I'm not buddhist, so I feel like it would be kinda disrespectful to get one, I'd really like to have a look at the process and maybe have a chat to Ajarn Anek to help me make my mind up.

Yeah he has no problem with people going along to have a look and no it's neither a shop or a Temple, he works from his home, it's so full of Buddhist paraphernalia.

By all means go out and have a look before you do anything, I don't consider myself a Buddhist either and I have my entire back covered in Sak Yants.

Bam Bam

I moght check out this bamboo tattoo place on soi 3, but really if Im going to get it done at a shop that isn't qaulified to do the blessing, I could just go to a tattoo shop here and get them done.

The great thing about Buddhism is there arn't really any standardised rules. I have no doubt you could get your tattoo done then go get it blessed at the temple afterwards. For a small donation of course.

Again Buddism is not like any other religion. I don't believe anyone would be offeneded if you got one.

RULES

1NQq.gif