Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Thai Food how to cope

Try the "gung dehn" (dancing shrimp) FUCKING BRILLIANT!

My ex used to love them

they would jump off the plate while your eating them (not me)

Interhardman just say "mai gai jai" but it maybe understood as your saying "I'm not a chicken heart" lol

Member since Dec 06.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• layow

• Siam Sam

• punanipursuit

• valleyboy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the hotter the better, just like a spicy kabab. make sure u go down on a bird after u eat, its great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I love spicy food, so I love Thai. I got a lot of laughs splitting food with the girls outside the bar I frequented

and getting warned by them about what I was about to chow down on.

The only real challenge for me was eating the fried insects. I finally got drunk enough to try them.

Not horrible, but certainly not something I'd line up for.

I'm from southern California so I'm used to hot Mexican food, but mostly it doesn't stand up to the heat of some Thai cuisine. One tip that I learned is to eat plenty of steamed rice, it'll keep you from getting the five alarm shits (at least it does for me). Make sure you eat plenty of rice with every Thai meal, it helps with the heat on entry and seems to help stop-up the exit. I've never had any trouble unless I deviate from a high rice/spice ratio.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enoughâ€

“If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?â€

Albert Einstein

Order Kai Dow Mai Suk with your meal...Fried egg not cooked long time.....eat the yolk with the spicy bit....

• 2 months later...

Those bumwasher bidets are a Godsend, otherwise keep the toilet paper in the fridge.

I once watched a Buriram girl eat twelve of those tiny red dangerous chilles on the trot without even breaking a sweat on her top lip.

I was brought up on hot Indian food as it was my Dad's favourite cuisine so eating it in the LOS has never been a problem. I regularly eat vindaloo/tindaloo in the UK so got used to the spicy food in the LOS well. I hate these sort of threads because I always feel like I am bragging but I have never had a problem with eating anything offered to me in the LOS and I like to try anything once. I love the reaction I get from Thai people when they realise they actually have a farang on their hands that will eat anything offered to him, spicy or otherwise. It is the perfect ice breaker when dining with Thai people. It really gets my goat when I'm in LOS with some people and they eat something that is not even remotely spicy and they bitch it's too hot for them for about an hour afterwards. People who go to the LOS and don't eat any of the food at all really annoy me too. They have such a wonderfully rich and diverse range of dishes. I have always tried everything offered to me and always seek to try new things. I can't say I like the bugs much as most of them are tasteless. The only ones I am yet to try are the grubs.....I just don't think I could stomach one of them. One thing I have always wanted to do is drink snakes blood and on my last trip I went to Lumphini park in BKK as I got told people sold it there in the mornings. I couldn't find any or elsewhere in BKK....next time I will look harder. Does anyone know where I can achieve my wish?

When I was growing up eating was always a big deal in my house and the whole family always had to be there so I latched onto the etiquette revolving around eating in the LOS well. I have just mastered tom yam and have a pretty good repertoire of Thai dishes now and since my wife has been in the UK I have learnt how to make som tam. Don't get me wrong though, I always get bad stomach in the LOS and just accept it will happen at some point when I'm there. I have come a cropper giving it the big one about eating spicy food a few times though, sometimes the som tam people make can be too hot and just as hot as a phaal curry back home. That's just too spicy.

Edited by Siam Sam
Big Brother is watching you. - George Orwell
Live, travel, adventure, bless, and don't be sorry. - Jack Kerouac
Find what you love and let it kill you. - Charles Bukowski 
Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. - Confucius 
I wish I could show you when you are alone or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being. - Hafiz of Shiraz
You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. - Friedrich Nietzsche 
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire 
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde
The general public doesn't know what's happening, and it doesn't even know that it doesn't know. - Noam Chomsky
What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens 

"Up to me" since 2005

• 1 month later...

it seems like all over the world the further towards the tropics the spicier the food

I think that the chillies can actually damage your taste buds. I've read that milk products will help to soothe your mouth when eating hot foods, and drinking hot water will help you to get used to the pain.

True, hot foods dull your taste buds.

Also true that milk can help when overwhelmed by hot foods. Chili oil is an acid. You need a base such as milk to offset an acid. You may look like a dork though, walking around Pats with a jug of milk!

Do not drink beer, Coke, or anything water-based. It will worsen your pain since water and oil do not mix. Water will only distribute the chili oil throughout your mouth.

I can't believe what I learned in chemistry class is helping me with mongering.

• 4 months later...

Heres a tip for those of you who eat hot food....Eat a few slices of cucumber 1st the chemicals in the cucumber weaken the receptors on your tongue which taste the spicy heat. :Drunk_Party:

"To monger, or not to monger, that is the question"

Not a big fan of spicy food. But, I have been educating my palate in prep for my cherry trip next year. I found completely by experimental accident that my burning mouth was soothed by cheese and bacon bread rolls from the local supermarket. I think it might be the mixing of chilli oil and the oils from the cheese and bacon that helps. I don't know if you can get these types of rolls in LOS or even if they will help with high heat Thai food but it might be worth a try. I also think the bread scrapes most of the chilli oil off the tongue.

Don't know if it helps the other end though.

:Clap8:

Daddy wants to pound the brown!!

THE ONLY THING I WANT HOT HOT HOT, IS THE BGS

WHEN IT COMES TO EATING I FIND TOM YUM KOON QITE NICE, JUST A LITTLE SPICY AND TOLERABLE.

I ALWAYS ENJOY DUCK WITH RICE!!

QUACK! QUACK!

A mans gotta do, what a mans gotta do!

When all is said and done, more is said than done!

I was having trouble with the hot food myself but after about day three, I started popping antacids in the morning. I was lucky I brought a pack of Tumms with me. It seemed to keep the heart burn and ass burn at bay. After that, I found that I actually enjoyed a lot of Thai food regardless of how hot it was.

"The very existance of flame throwers proves that someone, sometime, somewhere said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." "

i also had problems in the begining with thai food but learned it the hard way from a few girls in chang mai

2 weeks flames out of my mouth and i was ''mister chili'' lol

• 2 weeks later...

Fucking hell when your Thai wife moves in with you then you'll soon start eating differently. I only eat a main Western meal once a week now and the only other time I eat Western food is when I have my sandwiches at work. I have Thai food for breakfast now.....we have just had tom yam gung.

My food bill has doubled since she has been here but I'm not complaining, I love it. We get through a 10KG sack of rice every three weeks now. I'm a pretty good cook and have mastered a few Thai dishes but I have lost my way in the kitchen a bit now......

Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant
I wish I could show you when you are alone or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being. - Hafiz of Shiraz
You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. - Friedrich Nietzsche 
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire 
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde
The general public doesn't know what's happening, and it doesn't even know that it doesn't know. - Noam Chomsky
What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens 

"Up to me" since 2005

I eat Thai food in England now far more flavor and better for you and find in Thailand the Thai food in a quarter of the price of Farang food... 99% of ingredients can be purchased in the UK cost more than in Thailand of course but all seems to go a long way... lost 2 stone since eating Thai food so I'm happy :GoldenSmile1:

i also had problems in the begining with thai food but learned it the hard way from a few girls in chang mai

2 weeks flames out of my mouth and i was ''mister chili'' lol

Last time i was overthere i ate at my gf parents hou. Cant really remeber what it was called but it was so f""""ng spicy i shat fire for 2 weeks

I love hot food, have heaps of Indian and Sri Laken friends who are really dissapointed i dont pass out the first time i eat there food!

Pretty much game to eat anything except for shellfish, tho looking at those carts for of bugs is slightly daunting i must admit lol

Last time i was overthere i ate at my gf parents hou. Cant really remeber what it was called but it was so f""""ng spicy i shat fire for 2 weeks

You ate their what?

"Up to me" since 2005

• 1 month later...

I have many bengali friends who own restaurants and they always offer suger to customer who cant stand the heat,I,ve tried it myself and it works wonders almost instanly, just put it on your tongue.

You mean Salt dude?

I have many bengali friends who own restaurants and they always offer suger to customer who cant stand the heat,I,ve tried it myself and it works wonders almost instanly, just put it on your tongue.

You mean Salt dude?

Definitely sugar. The sugar cuts the heat.

[center][size="3"][url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/21796-getting-to-los-in-one-piece-tips-for-surviving-the-flight/page__p__322708__fromsearch__1&#entry322708"]Getting to LOS in one piece, tips for surviving the flight[/url] [/size][size="3"] [color="#000000"][b][size="4"]Restaurant Reviews[/size][/b][/color] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34723-benihanas-brunch-in-royal-garden-plaza/page__p__550523__fromsearch__1&#entry550523"]Benihana's Brunch[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/40196-shabushi-restaurant-6th-fl-central-festival/page__p__642739__fromsearch__1&#entry642739"]Shabushi[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/40224-central-festival-food-loft/"]Central Food Loft[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56291-rosabieng-restaurant-sukhumvit-soi-11/"]Rosabieng (Bangkok)[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34681-more-bar-and-grill-downstairs-from-the-marriott/page__p__549788__fromsearch__1&#entry549788"]More Bar and Grill[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34680-valentines-day-at-cherrys-on-third/page__p__549786__fromsearch__1&#entry549786"]Cherry's[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56293-bali-hai-sunset/"]Bali-Hai Sunset[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56294-so-who-wants-to-eat-shit/"]Shit[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56315-rogers-italian/page__gopid__879575&#entry879575"]Roger's Italian[/url] [/size][/center][center][size="3"][color="#000000"][b][size="4"]Hotel Reviews[/size][/b][/color] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34823-mosaik-apartments-soi-daynight-2/page__p__551879__fromsearch__1&#entry551879"]Mosaik Apartments[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/37964-paragon-place-hotel-pattaya-nua-rd/page__p__605514__fromsearch__1&#entry605514"]Paragon Place[/url] [/size][size="3"][color="#000000"][b][size="4"]Trip Reports[/size][/b][/color] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34867-a-short-visit-to-koh-chang/page__p__552510__fromsearch__1&#entry552510"]Koh Chang[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/38011-khao-yai-national-park/page__p__606162__fromsearch__1&#entry606162"]Khao Yai National Park[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/38006-songkran-in-the-village/page__p__606114__fromsearch__1&#entry606114"]Songkran in the Village[/url][/size] [/center]

• 4 weeks later...

You really want a treat find a bar girl and ask her to get Miang Kham for you !!!!!!!!!!! It's safe - no water or cooking. And she'll be impressed and love you long time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Fuck your girlfriend like a whore and a whore like your girlfriend"

You really want a treat find a bar girl and ask her to get Miang Kham for you !!!!!!!!!!! It's safe - no water or cooking. And she'll be impressed and love you long time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Fuck your girlfriend like a whore and a whore like your girlfriend"