Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

NATIONWIDE ATM CARD - THE FINAL ANSWER

The Professional

Just phoned Nationwide Customer Services

I asked:

"When using my ATM Current Account Card in Thailand, will I get the onshore rate (68.5ish) OR offshore rate (65ish)

Answer:

It has nothing to do with onshore OR offshore.

The rate given on any particular day, is dependant on the VISA rate:

The VISA rate can be seen here:

http://corporate.visa.com/pd/consumer_serv...HB&rate=0.0

Therefore, the rate for Nationwide card users is indeed the better rate, currently around 68.5.

So I will not now bother with TC's - I'll just bring 4 cards with me. :001_Sawasdee:

The wife uses our Nationwide debit card no problems and always a good exchange rate. Better than any other option I know of (for UK).

"A man does what he can until his destiny is revealed"

There's light at the end of this long tunnel

I withdrew an amount a few days ago at the Krung Thai Bank using my Nationwide ATM card, and indeed the exchange is 68.xx. KTB also tack on a B20 charge for use of their machine as do most banks here.

Be scene and not herd.

• 4 weeks later...
I withdrew an amount a few days ago at the Krung Thai Bank using my Nationwide ATM card, and indeed the exchange is 68.xx. KTB also tack on a B20 charge for use of their machine as do most banks here.

Are you sure? I have never seen nor heard about that before.

Are you sure? I have never seen nor heard about that before.

Yes, quite sure............. have been drawing cash from it for the last 6 months. Still the cheapest method I believe.

Be scene and not herd.

Why don't you just go to another ATM and get your hard earned cash for free, I know 20 baht is not much but I am sure in the last 6 months this must run up to a few thousand baht or more just think what you could have spent that money on :Cry3:

CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW FOR FULL DETAILS & COSTS

Building A House In The Village

Getting Married In The Village & Bringing Her To The UK

By the way I have 2 Nationwide ATM cards and I have never been charged using them at any ATM all over Thailand

The wife uses our Nationwide debit card no problems and always a good exchange rate. Better than any other option I know of (for UK).

Yep I agree 100% this is the way to go, if you have a wife or GF and are back in the UK and need to send money to Thailand just open a second flexi account and give the ATM card to your wife/ GF with the pin number and she can use it out there without you have to pay any charges, it beats paying £25 a time to send money to Thailand, I have been doing this for over 2 years and never had a problem

I think all Thai banks charge 20 baht (sometimes 23 baht) when you uise another bank's card in their ATM's.

I must say that I never noticed the charge when looking at my statements in the days before I retired, but even if you drew out cash every day for 2 weeks, the total charge would still only be 280 baht. Not worth worrying about IMHO. I now draw cash 4 or 5 times a month so the extra cost to me is only 80 or 100 baht per month.

Alan

note that if you are using a credit card from Australia or the US your bank will whack you with an additional 1.5-3% charge when they issue your statement

By the way I have 2 Nationwide ATM cards and I have never been charged using them at any ATM all over Thailand

Same here :P

Abn-amro charge for every transaction from a foriegn ATM [out side holland]

I did not see it when i read my statments but they slap it on every quater

so suddenly i see 45euros atm charges

bastards

anybody in the netherlands know a bank without these charges?

otherwise will have to take max out each time and/or take

cash but really dont like to have anything with me that can get nicked.

I only have an mp3 player,no camera, lap top etc

I travel light and really dont want the hassle of

looking after and the worry of exspensive kit.

• 1 month later...
i hear other banks will soon follow nationwide's excellent example.

I've yet to see the other rip off UK banks follow suit with this. Would be good if they did though.

Hope you've got the Nationwide card with you Tomski

"A man does what he can until his destiny is revealed"

There's light at the end of this long tunnel

I've yet to see the other rip off UK banks follow suit with this. Would be good if they did though.

Hope you've got the Nationwide card with you Tomski

I think HSBC is doing the same as Nationwide but I am not 100% sure.