IGNORED

Lopburi

Braveheart

Lopburi is the capital city of Lopburi province in Thailand. It is located about 150 km north-east of Bangkok and has a population of 54,000.

The city has a long history, dating back into the Dvaravati period more than 1000 years ago, when it was known as Lavo. When the Khmer empire incorporated it, they destroyed all former buildings, so that the oldest ruins that can now be found in Lopburi are Khmer temples. It later became part of the Thai kingdoms and, during the reign of King Narai the Great of the Ayutthaya kingdom in the middle of the 17th century, Lopburi even served as the second capital, with a second summer Palace, King Narai's Palace (Thai พระนารายณ์ราชนิเวศ). The king stayed here for about eight months a year.

Today the city is most famous for the hundreds of Crab-Eating Macaques (Macaca fascicularis) that live in the middle of the city, especially around the Khmer temple, Prang Sam Yot, and a Khmer shrine, Sarn Phra Karn. They are fed by the local people, especially during the Monkey Festival in November. Because they are not afraid of humans, they steal whatever food they can find from unwary diners.

Prang Sam Yot, originally a Hindu shrine, has three prangs that represent Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva (the Hindu trinity). It was later converted to a Buddhist shrine.

Extracted from Wikipedia: Lopburi

• 6 months later...
anyone been there. Is this place worth a visit

I stayed there for about a month back in 1999, if i remember it's only about an hour from BKK, so worth a day-trip if you are there, the monkeys will jump on your car and there are a few things to see up there, back in 1999 no farang bars, you would see a lot of farangs during the day, but at night time i only ever saw one, an English teacher who stayed in the same condo block as me, and we used to have a few beers. But things might have changed now, i have never been back since 1999.

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You can reach Lopburi easily by bus about 2 hrs from Morchit station or take the train from Hualampong or bang Sue (end of MRT subway line so no need to go to center and then come up north again, cheaper and faster this way).

Lopburi has a nice national museum that focuses on the interconnections between Ayuthaya and the west. Beautiful exhibits and good explanations. Lopburi had been a capital for a short time in a period of more "liberal" or open-mindedness policies. The museum is located in a 19th century royal Palace with quite extensive female quarters. No further comment. The 19th century monarchs thus publicly put themselves in the tradition of that earlier period of modernization.

Equally impressive are the monumental Khmer temples. Thais claim it is a provincial style "Lopburi style" in order to claim it as a thai cultural achievement. But that's nonsense. The temples are as large as the khmer temples in sukkothai and ayuthaya. So enjoy them.

Be aware of the monkeys of course. Lopburi is famous for them.

Food is good, accommodation is cheap but stay away from those ladies around train station. No good for you!

You can travel on from lopburi north to muang sri thep and the historical park there, something for the dedicated, or track back to Ayuthaya by train or saraburi by bus.

Lopburi is definitely one of the worthy provincial towns to visit in the kingdom.

• 11 months later...

Those monkeys in Lopburi are a pain in the arse. I visited lopburi in July. And one of the little ba*stards tried to grab my camera bag and bit my finger. Had to goto hospital for a jab, who knows what diseases they carry.

• 1 month later...
Anyone ever been to the AIDS Hospice - Wat Phra Bat Nam Phu in Lopburi?

"AiDS Attraction"

Yeah I have been there about 6 years ago. I stayed there for a week living on the grounds as a volunteer, while I was doing a photo documentary project. It is a life changing experience. You meet Thais from all walks of life coming to terms with death around the corner. They all still had hope that they would be able to move out and have a normal life again. Unfortunately the meds are too expensive for them to afford and so there was little chance of that. Anyway, Lopburi is a really nice little city.

• 5 months later...

I'm heading up to Lopburi on my next trip in May/June for a few days.

Lopburi is well worth a visit,

There is also a zoo there, nothing real flash, just your typical small cages with bored animals.

They did have a grey kangaroo so your TG may want to check it out & the guy who does the snake show is good value.

DSC_0746.JPG

DSC_0791.JPG

DSC_0841.JPG

DSC_0910.JPG