IGNORED

computer question

bolly

Hi all,

need some advice/ help about wifi. Living in Japan I have a laptop and a desktop but rarely use the laptop. It is XP os and served me well for years. But the problem is that it is an English language system and any Jap software pr hardware is always hit and miss. Sometimes it works sometimes it (the Jap stuff) will give a message that it cant be installed on an English system. So can anyone recommend an easy wifi card that I can order from amazon or some such place. Something I can install on my laptop relatively painlessly so I can bring it with me to LOS. Thanks for any help with this.

What... service... may I do you? Hmmm? You know I demand payment.--- I brought payment. Look! BAM!! An undead monkey! Top that!

2A2A2C5401C889635E9B5481680DBAF6.png

babydollsaddict.gif

belkin wireless g PCI cards work fine, and can be bought from almost all internet pc stockists, PC world are the most obvious, you should be able to get them in Japan surely??

if you buy from england, they will install in english, just make sure your language is set correctly on your lappy.

cant see any real problems there dude., unless you have an old lappy and no pci slot?!?!

belkin wireless g PCI cards work fine, and can be bought from almost all internet pc stockists, PC world are the most obvious, you should be able to get them in Japan surely??

if you buy from england, they will install in english, just make sure your language is set correctly on your lappy.

cant see any real problems there dude., unless you have an old lappy and no pci slot?!?!

PCI slot in a laptop? Only mini PCI for wireless cards and compatability can be a major problem with these.

I think you probably meant PCMCIA slot?

These exist on most of the older laptops, however I think a USB Wirelss device would be a better route these days.

A cheapo generic device bought on Ebay ( under 15 GBP / 1000 baht ) will have a driver disk which is invariably in English. Even if the installation disk isn't English, it's usually fairly straightforward to let XP 'find new hardware' and you simply browse to the driver file.

I dont want to act like a fool this early in my 'addiction' :rolleyes: , but a PCI-card in a laptop seems hard to fit.

Its possible i´ve misunderstood the question but if u dont have wifi i think u need a card that fit in your slots called PC-card. Something like this:

NETGEAR WPNT511 RANGEMAX 240 W-LAN PC-CARD

From experience i know that the protocols for networks in different windows environments can have a big problem with languages.

I have been wrong before but i had to say something :GrinNod1:

thats it george.......a PC YMCA slot,

i know f.all about computers myself, just tryin to be helpful.

Thanks for the info---greatly appreciated!

What... service... may I do you? Hmmm? You know I demand payment.--- I brought payment. Look! BAM!! An undead monkey! Top that!

2A2A2C5401C889635E9B5481680DBAF6.png

babydollsaddict.gif

• 4 weeks later...
thats it george.......a PC YMCA slot,

i know f.all about computers myself, just tryin to be helpful.

It sounds like you have an older laptop. If the OS is Pre-Windows 2000...it will not be able to use WiFi. Dont want to get geeky on you or anything, the OS back then just pre-dates WiFi

It sounds like you have an older laptop. If the OS is Pre-Windows 2000...it will not be able to use WiFi. Dont want to get geeky on you or anything, the OS back then just pre-dates WiFi

I'm afraid I'm going to have to pull you up on this one.

The OS didn't support WiFi as part of its core, but hardware suppliers supplied the necessary software to connect to Wireless networks. I've definately had Windows 95 machines operating with Linksys WPC11 cards.

Yes it's true that computing and support was more of a black art in those days, but just because it wasn't in the core of a Microsoft OS doesn't mean it couldn't be done.

Quick Installation Guide just to prove it :D

Oh and on a 'geeky' point wasn't support first included in Windows 98 SE not Windows 2000?