IGNORED

Attending mate's wedding in LOS

I am attending a friend's wedding to a hiso Thai girl in a few weeks time and have a few questions. I have attended a couple of other weddings in Thailand and all have differed in one way or another. I am resigned to an early morning start and an early flow of alcohol - that has been a common factor in all the weddings I have been at.

1. Wedding gifts - cash in envelopes and/or Western style gifts? Do Thais have a wedding gift register or is this unheard of?

2. Dress standards for the monk chanting part of the wedding? It is rural but not poor area. Long trousers, long sleeve shirt?

3. Bringing a guest who I may have only met the night before :GoldenSmile1: A complete no-no or are visiting farangs excused?

4. Any other tips to make sure I don't offend the bride and family?

I am attending a friend's wedding to a hiso Thai girl in a few weeks time and have a few questions. I have attended a couple of other weddings in Thailand and all have differed in one way or another. I am resigned to an early morning start and an early flow of alcohol - that has been a common factor in all the weddings I have been at.

1. Wedding gifts - cash in envelopes and/or Western style gifts? Do Thais have a wedding gift register or is this unheard of?

2. Dress standards for the monk chanting part of the wedding? It is rural but not poor area. Long trousers, long sleeve shirt?

3. Bringing a guest who I may have only met the night before :GoldenSmile1: A complete no-no or are visiting farangs excused?

4. Any other tips to make sure I don't offend the bride and family?

I think you've already done your homework and answered your own questions in the process. As for the gift, money is fine or a present. Dress code for the temple is as you say, no shorts and long sleeved shirt.

I woulddn't worry about taking a 'guest'. Thais are very tolerant as long as you show the basics of respect. They know that you are a foreigner and expect you to be different. Just relax and try to mix and have fun.

You might like this thread I wrote about the wedding of a friend of mine.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

I think you've already done your homework and answered your own questions in the process. As for the gift, money is fine or a present. Dress code for the temple is as you say, no shorts and long sleeved shirt.

I woulddn't worry about taking a 'guest'. Thais are very tolerant as long as you show the basics of respect. They know that you are a foreigner and expect you to be different. Just relax and try to mix and have fun.

You might like this thread I wrote about the wedding of a friend of mine.

I tried to read your post before I listed mine but do not have permission to view that forum :GoldenSmile1:

I think Item 3 (bringing a new 'friend') is not a good idea. Your hosts will identify her as a BG by accent, vocabulary, dress and so on even before her interrogation gets underway. Your new 'friend' will be embarrassed and the reaction of your hosts will range from wry amusement to anger; they'll certtainly think the less of you and, possibly, your mate who's marrying their daughter. Seen it happen before, believe me.

Anyway, shouldn't you be making plans to do one of the bridesmaids?

I tried to read your post before I listed mine but do not have permission to view that forum :GoldenSmile1:

My mistake, many apologies. I've moved it to a section that you can view. You will find it here.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel