IGNORED

Foreigners warned ahead of Thai court ruling

t.l.o

Foreigners in Bangkok were on Tuesday warned to exercise caution amid mounting security fears ahead of a landmark court decision over whether to dissolve Thailand's two largest political parties.

Australia, Canada, France and Japan all advised their citizens to show a high degree of personal security awareness as Wednesday's verdict could trigger violent demonstrations in the Thai capital.

"You should avoid demonstrations, political rallies and concentrations of military personnel," the Australian embassy in a statement.

The Japanese embassy called on its citizens to "stay away from expected political rallies" and "act very cautiously so as not to get involved in possible unrest and terror attacks."

Thailand is the fourth most popular foreign destination for Japanese tourists after the United States, China (including Hong Kong) and South Korea.

Some 900 police will be deployed on Bangkok's streets Tuesday evening, protecting the Constitutional Tribunal offices and setting up checkpoints to deter party supporters from travelling to the capital from the provinces.

Some 15,000 Thai troops were on alert Tuesday across the country to deter possible violence, officials said.

The Canadian embassy warned that planned protests might turn violent and urged its citizens to "maintain high level of personal security awareness" and avoid "unnecessary travel" in Bangkok.

The US embassy here has left its travel advice unchanged, urging tourists and expatriates to monitor events and avoid large public gatherings.

The British embassy's travel advice, which was updated on Wednesday last week, also urged its citizens to avoid demonstrations and large crowds.

On Wednesday, Thailand's Constitutional Tribunal must decide whether Thai Rak Thai, the party formed by ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, and the Democrat Party are guilty of a slew of charges of electoral fraud related to annulled elections in April last year.

The tribunal has the power to dissolve the parties and ban their executives from politics for five years.

The potentially divisive ruling comes after more than a year of political upheaval culminating in the September 19 coup against Thaksin.

stay away from political rallys and stay in the bars

good - but better: barfine a stunner and stay in bed

It's bloody worrying for those of us with vulnerable friends in Bangkok!

"I have passed blamelessly through life doing nought but good deeds, and I am beloved by all whose path I have crossed. It is beyond comprehension that anyone could nurture in their hearts hostile feelings for me." Genevive Dieudonne. Vampire. ("Anno Dracula" by Kim Newman)

Hopefully everything will pass peacefully. Worrying times if your in BKK. Agree with Don, stay in a bar.

Big Brother is watching you. - George Orwell
Live, travel, adventure, bless, and don't be sorry. - Jack Kerouac
Find what you love and let it kill you. - Charles Bukowski 
Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. - Confucius 
I wish I could show you when you are alone or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being. - Hafiz of Shiraz
You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. - Friedrich Nietzsche 
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire 
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde
The general public doesn't know what's happening, and it doesn't even know that it doesn't know. - Noam Chomsky
What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens 

"Up to me" since 2005

I think there will be only isolated incidents, easy to avoid.

Member since Dec 06.

if you do decide to go, make sure you take an unhinged psycho bargirl, that will go mental and protect her ATM from any threats :Goal1:

if you do decide to go, make sure you take an unhinged psycho bargirl, that will go mental and protect her ATM from any threats :Goal1:

Any recomendations Brian?

Testicles

BANGKOK (AFP) - Thailand's Democrat Party, one of the kingdom's two main political groups, did not commit electoral fraud and will not be dissolved, a top court ruled Wednesday. "The facts cannot prove that the Democrats did any wrongdoing so there is no reason to dissolve the Democrats," said Thanit Kesawapitak, one of nine judges on the Constitutional Tribunal that examined charges against the party.

The judges also ruled that none of the Democrat's executives will be barred from politics.

The judgment comes after more than a year of political upheaval in Thailand, including a bloodless military coup last September that ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The 61-year-old Democrat Party, Thailand's oldest political organisation, was facing four charges stemming from polls last April, including slandering Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai (TRT) party and obstructing campaigning.

"We are glad, and we will go back to the party headquarters to discuss about our future. Today, people have benefited," said Banyat Bantadtan, the former leader of the Democrats, as he left the court.

The TRT party is also facing fraud charges and could be dissolved. The tribunal is expected to announce its ruling against TRT later Wednesday.

"We have to congratulate them, the Democrats. The oldest party survived the verdict, and we do hope that TRT, who have less than 10 years history, will get fair treatment as well," said Kudheb Saikrajang, a TRT party executive.

The Democrats ruled on and off for a decade before TRT first swept the polls in 2001.

I lost the Great Shopper "Joe"

With one announcement down and the biggy to come. I will be staying in contact with my friend in BKK, just in case. Good news is that my TGF has gone home for a month. So she should be well out of this mess and will return when all is settled. Thanks for the updates folks. Cheers T

May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Agreed.

No doubt it would be so much safer for farangs having a thaibg next to them,than walking by themselves.

Edited by LICANTROPUS

The Tighter the better

"Cervix Ripper"