Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Advance Passenger Information...

El Cata

Just a heads up to the guys from the UK on the forum.

Some countries, including Thailand, require what's called 'Advanced Passenger Information' before you are allowed to enter the country. More details here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Foreigntravel/AirTravel/DG_176737

Having travelled to LOS 3 times before, I am familiar with the requirements. On all 3 occasions, I have received a courtesy email from my travel agent & a link to a form on their website to fill out the necessary details.

However, I booked my latest flight (Emirates) through Major Travel & was worried that I hadn't received any requests for API 1 week before my flight. I called Emirates & was told that I had to contact my travel agent to sort it out. I contacted Major Travel & was given the web address on the EMIRATES WEBSITE??? in order to enter the details. :GoldenSmile1:

BTW The consequences of not providing API are at best a delay at the airport & at worst the airline can refuse to let you board the flight.

Obviously Emirates customer services are totally incompetent & I will be writing to tell them such.

Peace. :GoldenSmile1:

sgu_banner.gif

I have been to thailand 15 times and have never provided this 'additional' travel info in advance. I am due to fly again in a little over 2 weeks and have not been asked to provide this. All this information is on one's passport is it not?? or is this something new since the last time i flew to thailand 3 months ago??

chock dee khab

" Hate The Sin..Love the Sinner!!"

"God gave man both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same timeâ€

Interesting...

I have always provided the information in the past, as I thought it was legally required, not optional.

This website scared me a little bit:

http://www.flyingabroad.co.uk/Advice/Advance-Passenger-Information.aspx

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What if I don't want to provide it?

If you refuse to provide the information, the airline may refuse you travel to the country - depending on which one it is. It is also extremely likely that even if the airline was to allow you to travel, that you would not gain access to the country at the other end.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would be interested to hear of other BMs thoughts / experiences.

Peace. :Good_Job:

Edited by El Cata
sgu_banner.gif

I have been to thailand 15 times and have never provided this 'additional' travel info in advance. I am due to fly again in a little over 2 weeks and have not been asked to provide this. All this information is on one's passport is it not?? or is this something new since the last time i flew to thailand 3 months ago??

chock dee khab

No, it's not new. I had to provide the info on my 1st flight in Jan 09. Yes, the information is on your passport, but maybe they need to undertake some pre-checks 1st; or maybe it's another futile attempt to stop terrorism. I notice the stringent checks for the USA, the land of aeronautical paranoia! :D

Peace. :Good_Job:

sgu_banner.gif

Generally this information is furnished automatically to the country you are travelling to by the airline flying you and/or immigration from the country you are departing from. All countries (those that are developed at least) have access and know who is arriving before the plane even lands.

My experience is that at checkin this information is keyed into the reservation system. Or you passport is scanned and the information is then in the airlines system and then passed to Thai immigration authorities.

I have flown Emirates and I can confirm that they scan the passport and I assume that is why you have not been asked for the information seperately. I have never been asked for API except at checkin time.

Another contribution from USA to the rest of the world. Started after 9/11 and has been spreading all over the world ever since...

I am surprised the EU doesn't have it or does it...?

i have never heard of this being a requirement to enter Thailand. as stated the airlines collect your passport information and probably transmit it to customs/immigration. But having to fill out a form at a website before entering is not required.

Do you have any links from a Thai government web site that state this requirement?

Sorry but I think this post is misleading.

i have never heard of this being a requirement to enter Thailand. as stated the airlines collect your passport information and probably transmit it to customs/immigration. But having to fill out a form at a website before entering is not required.

Do you have any links from a Thai government web site that state this requirement?

I agree.

this is the first i have heard of API, my last trip to los was in jan, and there seemed no difference at all from the normal experience of check in or immigration, everything was same same as previous trips.

Edited by Mantra

Other than in the United States of Paranoi advanced passenger information is a process used by the airlines to speed up the check in process in much the same way as online check-in for seats etc.

Sometimes Big Brother isn't watching you!

Other than in the United States of Paranoi advanced passenger information is a process used by the airlines to speed up the check in process in much the same way as online check-in for seats etc.

Sometimes Big Brother isn't watching you!

You been to London recently? :001_Thank_You5:

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

my last trip nov 2009 and not asked for API, although this is the same information as the thai landing card you have to fill out in duplicate! .. if its going online then all the better!!

O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

My experience is that at checkin this information is keyed into the reservation system. Or you passport is scanned and the information is then in the airlines system and then passed to Thai immigration authorities.

I have flown Emirates and I can confirm that they scan the passport and I assume that is why you have not been asked for the information seperately. I have never been asked for API except at checkin time.

That's good to know, but why do they have a special form for it on their website? This can be accessed via the 'manage my booking' tab on the homepage BTW.

Peace. :001_Thank_You5:

If you read the link above, this seems to be more of a UK requirement:

'Advance Passenger Information is a requirement of several countries around the world to tighten-up who travels to their country. Passengers are required to provide a variety of information if flying to:

1. UK - from/to USA, UAE, Thailand...

2. Spain

3. Antigua, Barbados, Greneda, Jamacia, St.Lucia, Trinidad and Tobago

4. USA

5. Canada

6. Mexico

7. China

8. Japan'

http://www.flyingabroad.co.uk/Advice/Advance-Passenger-Information.aspx

From the UK DirectGov website:

Advance passenger information

For security reasons the US, most EU States, and other countries now require airlines to provide details about their passengers before they travel. This is known as Advance Passenger Information (API).

The API requirements vary from country to country. Your airline will let you know what they need from you.

Providing your API should not be confused with applying for a visa. You will still need to follow the entry rules for every country you visit, as well as any customs and passport control regulations.

Registering your API

Your airline will usually ask you to supply the passenger details found on the ‘machine-readable’ page of your passport - that is the page containing your photograph.

You may be asked for your:

* full name

* date of birth

* passport number

* country that issued your passport

* date of passport expiration

You may occasionally be asked for additional information – such as the address of your first night’s stay.

Your information will be taken either at the time of booking or by an automated passport reader during check-in. In most cases, if you do not provide your API in the time required, you may not be allowed to travel.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Foreigntravel/AirTravel/DG_176737

From the BA website. Other airlines provide similar information:

'Throughout 2009, the UK Government will implement its requirement for Advanced Passenger Information from all passengers travelling internationally into and out of the UK. This is being rolled out on a route by route basis over the coming year...

...You must provide this information when you check in and we strongly recommend that you do so in advance of going to the airport...

...You can complete your Advance Passenger Information form through Manage My Booking or when you check in at ba.com.'

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/ba6.jsp/imminfo/public/en_gb

So, some conflicting information there. Some airlines / travel agents gather the information during booking, some at check in; some request it separately. I for one am not going to leave my holiday in the hands of some potentially incompetent airline or travel agent. Up 2 U!!!

Peace. :GoldenSmile1:

Edited by El Cata
sgu_banner.gif

so you book your ticket or check in and give your passport information, seems normal to me. Never heard of anyone being refused entry because they did not fill out a form before arriving at the airport in the UK. Sounds like a requirement from the UK and my guess is the Thai authorities don't care about it.

During online checkin I was asked for this information, which 'would speed up' the checkin process. As I had provided this information prevously, the form was 'pre-filled'.

It seems that I got a bit too excited about this API thingbob. I just got worried, having recieved emails on my 3 previous trips, requesting URGENT information; the possible consequences being that I would not be allowed to board my flight.

Still, the airlines could have made this more clearer to customers; if you miss your flight then you're, quite frankly, FUCKED!!!

Sorry if I scared anyone unnecessarily.

Peace. :P

sgu_banner.gif

I,ve never heard of this and i fly regualrly to many countries on that list !

Never done anything like this go to LOS , just turn up and let me in ?? i must be a sexy man 555555555555 :P:)

Just has an email from BA, for my trip in May asking for info above (passport details, etc) but to me no problem, just standard info- I've had to provide this for trips to Spain for the past few years- and not worth the risk of not providing it.

Maybe part of the wider 'UK Big Brother state' rather than LOS requirements?