IGNORED

How to say "Sex Worker" in Thai?

R-KivE

Sup guys,

I want to tell a girl I know that I don't want a relationship with a bar girl, freelancer, sex worker, gogo girl etc but with a normal girl with a normal job.

How might I best work this in thai? what is the polite word for prostitute/sex worker in thai?

Any help would be great,

Thanks

gk9qT.png

I would say. Phuying Tham ngaan = working girl, it's subtle and they know what you mean. Thais often expand it to phuying tham ngaan khaang khuun = ladies who work at night. Sophranee, the word for prostitute tends to make them very defensive.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Sup guys,

I want to tell a girl I know that I don't want a relationship with a bar girl, freelancer, sex worker, gogo girl etc but with a normal girl with a normal job.

How might I best work this in thai? what is the polite word for prostitute/sex worker in thai?

Any help would be great,

Thanks

There are 3 words in Thai

sŏh-pay-nee ; pôo yĭng kăai dtua ; pôo yĭng glaang keun

pôo yĭng glaang keun is the most polite out of the 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psvL2eYQ7YM&feature=related

There are three sides to every argument: your side, my side and the right side.

Thank God I'm an atheist.

Cheers chaps, you've made that a bit easier!

gk9qT.png

Asked for Nang Ni ( nice lady) or I dont want Nang Seksi (sexy lady).

you still have western views, bar girls,gogo dancers,are normal and the work they do is seen as normal... i know 3 girls who work in big c, 2 hairdressers and 2 hotel receptionists who freelance..

. To me this does not make them "not normal".. :)

Whatever you do, dont use the word Galee (Garee) I hear so many farangs shouting it, and they dont realise how bad it is.

You can simply use "bar girl" they all understand that,.

Whatever you do, dont use the word Galee (Garee) I hear so many farangs shouting it, and they dont realise how bad it is.

You can simply use "bar girl" they all understand that,.

What is the literal meaning of the word Galee (Garee)?

So-phen-nee translates as prostitute whereas Garee translates as whore.

Cafe Girl is another fairly mild term, Thais themselves often use this English term.

When I first arrived in Thailand back in the 1970s you heard Suzie Wong a lot, which came from the movie "The World of Suzie Wong" but that term has long gone out of use.

If I want to use a fairly polite word when discussing this with Thais I'd use Pooying Ha Kin (girl looking for dosh) or Pooying Khung Kuen (nightime girl)

Another way of saying it without using the word prostitute is "yaak mee faen riab roy" which means "I want a good girl".

I don't know if there is a polite way to translate prostitute!

As already posted...

mia châo เมียเช่า , rented wife may be reasonably ok.

I have heard pôo yĭng hăa gin ผู้หญิงหากิน used in ordinary conversation and it doesn't seem particularly offensive. Literally it means "Female looking for eating"

For a younger girl, replace pôo yĭng with săao สาว

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one

I think the lesson is that there are many ways of saying it in Thai but the 'direct' ways, that literally translate as prostitute or whore are considered very offensive.

I've never talked to a BG who will admit she is a 'Sophranee' (prostitute) but there's never any problem getting them to admit that they've slept with people for money before!

I've never talked to a BG who will admit she is a 'Sophranee' (prostitute) but there's never any problem getting them to admit that they've slept with people for money before!

:c45ec00b: Have to love Thai Logic. :Grin_Jump1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psvL2eYQ7YM&feature=related

There are three sides to every argument: your side, my side and the right side.

Thank God I'm an atheist.

:Grin_Jump1: Have to love Thai Logic. :Grin_Jump1:

ive heard the word galee before from tgf,she told me it meant bargirl,,but saying that i would not call one that :c45ec00b:

When I first arrived in Thailand back in the 1970s you heard Suzie Wong a lot, which came from the movie "The World of Suzie Wong" but that term has long gone out of use.

So true. I'd guess that now most westerners under the age of 35 have never heard of Suzie Wong and none of the Thai BGs have.

"Lady work bar" just to throw in another one!!! Would depend who your talking to?

Who is fit to govern others?

He who governs himself. ?

You might as well have said: nobody.

ผู้หญิงขายบริการ - pu ying kai borigan - girl that sells service, ambiguous but obvious given the correct context

ผู้หญิงอย่างว่า - pu ying yang wa - that kind of girl, open to interpretation but obvious given the correct context. Can actually also mean gay/lesbian in other contexts.

Kinda tricky as unlike most countries where a girl that sells sex is a prostitute plain and simple in thailand being a bargirl, masseuse, gogo girl doesn't necessarily dictate you're a hooker.

In my apartment in bangkok there was a couple girls on the same floor, one that worked in patpong in some bar and another one that I was friendly with that worked just off a soi near our apartment, she would now and then bring guys back and whenever she was feeling flush she would say "bi gin kow na" and then follow it up with 'meu keurn mee bonat (bonus)" haha.

Edited by herds

The waitress in my ghesthouse tolf me that using "phu ying ha kin" is not polite at all.

But she did not tell me what word to use.

What is the literal meaning of the word Galee (Garee)?

My understanding is that Garee is the name of the woman who was a prostitute/evil woman who stole the men from the woman in a village in a Thai folklore/fable story from olden times.

Its one of those words that you can hear some Thai women bitching about another Thai woman and using this word, but I've found that Farangs do not have the right to use it in an appropriate way to talk about another Thai person and would only be taken as offensive in the extreme.

My understanding is that Garee is the name of the woman who was a prostitute/evil woman who stole the men from the woman in a village in a Thai folklore/fable story from olden times.

Its one of those words that you can hear some Thai women bitching about another Thai woman and using this word, but I've found that Farangs do not have the right to use it in an appropriate way to talk about another Thai person and would only be taken as offensive in the extreme.

Very true, personally I believe the same applies to any really bad Thai words being spoken by a farang. Don't get me wrong, I've seen it make Thais laugh, in the right circumstances but generally speaking it will lose you respect in the long run.

• 1 month later...

pom mai yaak dtaeng ngaan gap poo ying tam ngaan kaang khuen (I do not want to marry a "night worker Lady")

or

pom mai yaak yuu gap poo ying bar (be careful with your pronounciation of Bar .. you want to use a flat mid tone ... if you use a falling tone you will be saying "crazy girl" rather than "bar girl)

you can also take a Thai approach and ignore her job ... and just tell her "pom piang kae ao mii sanook gap khun" (I only want to have fun with you)

Some extremely Vulgar terminology for Prostitute. (Use with extreme caution .. likely to have your cock chopped off and fed to the ducks)

E Dtua

Garee

poo ying kaai dtua

And the worst of all .. Maeng Kodt E Garee (Motherfucking fucking (Derogatory title) Slut) <--- if you say this you will die :)

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any bodily injury incurred as a result of using the above words. :D

As has been mentioned before "puu^ yingV boo ri gaan" is probably the best bet. Personally I'd never refer to anyone in Patts like this even though we all know the score. Does'nt seem to be any benefit in using it unless your chatting with someone who you know isnt on the game about someone else.

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)