IGNORED

A motobike is fun but...

firstholliday

Got stopped on Sukuhmvit heading to nong nooch last year two up with the wife both wearing helmets,

Asked for the licence I smiled and said I wasn't carrying it .

Out came the classic line, "pay fine now 300bht pay at Police station 500bht. Paid the 3 with a smile. ffs no insurance alone would cost me 20'000 baht at home minimum

Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita

If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0

• 5 weeks later...

I was pulled up once and it was the first time riding without helmet,

copper says 'you have licence for motorbike?' I give him Western Australia

drivers licence, he says 'no good'

Policeman tell me 'lucky for you, you pay 500bht, you can go'

He also tell me 'you wear helmet, you not have trouble'.

Good advice. I wear helmet all the time now.

I have been stopped 4+ times in Phuket. My DL issued by my state in the US has always been satisfactory for thai police. Also true around the world. A german autobahn polizi once said "where the fuck is this country called Michigan?" (or a similar version in german). Got off for a on-the-spot payment of $120 US for exceeding the speed limit by 80kph in a city zone :P 500baht sounds good comparitively.

I Love This City

i was fined 600 for going sdown Soi 1 the wrong way last year,

had no idea a lot of the Sois were 1way ;-(

policeman was just standing with M.Bike hire guy, obviously waitin for people like me.

he told me i had to leave the bike, walk to Station & pay fine there.

bit of a walk, so i produced money there & then, he took it and let me go lucky enough.

funny enough it was the M.Bike hire guy who took it & pocketed it,

sounds like yet another scam!!

Tip: always look out for 1-way signs

policeman was just standing with M.Bike hire guy, obviously waitin for people like me.

bit of a walk, so i produced money there & then, he took it and let me go lucky enough.

They had actually split it, because official fine i believe is 400-500 baht

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psvL2eYQ7YM&feature=related

There are three sides to every argument: your side, my side and the right side.

Thank God I'm an atheist.

I have been stopped 4+ times in Phuket. My DL issued by my state in the US has always been satisfactory for thai police. Also true around the world. A german autobahn polizi once said "where the fuck is this country called Michigan?" (or a similar version in german). Got off for a on-the-spot payment of $120 US for exceeding the speed limit by 80kph in a city zone :Streaker1: 500baht sounds good comparitively.

Really? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

I was pulled over one time and he wanted an international Drivers license. I think he was suprised when I produced one and it even had my motorcycle rating on it. (got it at the local AAA office here in California)

Allen

In my experience the moto taxi took it to the station to pay the fine. The difference was his fare. Although high he saved you the trouble of going yourself...Most of the police in pattaya are not looking for a few hundred baht from traffic infractions...

OFF TOPIC

But do not get me started on kids riding bikes!

F$&$$^ing F$#%#%^K, some are as young as 9 years old, so short that their legs do not even reach the pedals, yet 3 ,4 or 5 of them on that bike, never a helmet, they ride like its a play station game.

And the worst part is, they are at fault in most bikes accidents involving them and there is nothing you can do.

Should any of them cause an accident with a foreigner, foreigner is immediately at fault and is to pay not only their medical bills, but pain and suffering and all damage. While when they cause accident with another Thai, again nothing can be done because they are minors.

And BIB never pull them over, because they can not get any money out of them. No helmet, no License, Reckless Driving, Speeding,Way under the legal driving age,Triple the allowed amount of passengers and list goes on AND?? NO PROBLEM.

TIT

Good point.

That’s my worst nightmare when I drive on the dark side.

An accident with severely injured kids involved, while their parents plot against you to get some compensation.

BEER: HELPING UGLY PEOPLE HAVE SEX SINCE 3000 B.C.

My first time in pattaya, second day, BG no helmet, 400baht. Third day, me have no helmet, 400. Fifth day, wrong way, 600. Then I got fed up of all the waiting at the police station, so I avoided the police station(stopping point just outside)...everything good from then... :)

But in thailand you must have international DL, you can get in your country, (my country 25€), good idea to have, put under your seat and you use it as ID also...if you lost it, just get another, no fuss, 10min and it's done.

<p>

My first time in pattaya, second day, BG no helmet, 400baht. Third day, me have no helmet, 400. Fifth day, wrong way, 600. Then I got fed up of all the waiting at the police station, so I avoided the police station(stopping point just outside)...everything good from then... :)

Sometimes you gotta see the wood for the trees boys. Lets see, 3 offenses and 1400 fine. If you were on a rented bike there is a 90% chance you have no insurance too. Lets assume for the sake of the argument you didnt have a valid licence as well.

Now then - try driving the wrong way up a one way street, with no helmets, no license and no insurance back at home and see what happens :001_Thank_You5:

Dega - not having a go you bro' but sometimes we forget to think laterally about the cops n bikes stuff. Yeah its a pain but its a massive benefit too. Oh and finally PLEASE wear helmets lads! Look uncool or be dead??....hmmmm tough choice...yes? NO!

Sometimes you gotta see the wood for the trees boys. Lets see, 3 offenses and 1400 fine. If you were on a rented bike there is a 90% chance you have no insurance too. Lets assume for the sake of the argument you didnt have a valid licence as well.

Now then - try driving the wrong way up a one way street, with no helmets, no license and no insurance back at home and see what happens :Drunk1:

Dega - not having a go you bro' but sometimes we forget to think laterally about the cops n bikes stuff. Yeah its a pain but its a massive benefit too. Oh and finally PLEASE wear helmets lads! Look uncool or be dead??....hmmmm tough choice...yes? NO!

While you are correct and penalty's are much cheaper then home, it is really useless comparing.

If you want to compare, then you will need to count in the price of the air fare, hotel, traveling and rental expense.

It is like saying you can buy shorts cheaper then back home. Back home i pay $40 while in Thailand can get same for $5, yes correct, now add the the airfare and everything else and your shorts cost you 500 times more then it does back home. :Drunk1:

IME - some BiB will accept nothing less than a Thai DL at road checks - IDL? - not interested - no Thai DL you can pay.

Thai DL are not difficult to get. If you can get a Residence Cert. at Immi' you can get a DL basically. It'll cost about 200 + 200 for RC = 200 for Medical Cert. - and some time.

You need separate ones for Motorcycle and Car.

Insurance Companies will not pay out if you don't have a valid TDL eg. VIRIYAH for sure. They won't tell you that when they take your premium but you will find out if you try to make a claim. I found out when I went to collect the repaired car. If I hadn't been able to produce a TDL (for a car) they said they wouldn't have released the car - until I paid the full repair cost myself.

I've just had another mishap and this time the Dealer Garage asked to see my Car Licence before they would take the car in for repair.

Rules can seem very vague here, until you break them.

Last trip in Dec I saw the BiB set up shop a couple times on Beach Rd, once just beyond Central Festival Mall and again closer to to WS.

Perfecting my ability to "let that which does not matter truly slide"

Last trip in Dec I saw the BiB set up shop a couple times on Beach Rd, once just beyond Central Festival Mall and again closer to to WS.

And funny enough from the photo it appears every single person either already got a ticket or getting one.

I guess everyone at the time of photo did something wrong-LOL :GoldenSmile1:

Got to love BIB

I do wonder what you could get away with as long as it looks like a Thai Driving Licence.

I've been checked 5 times on bikes and only once did they actually look at it properly.

Mind you, about 3 months later everyone got pulled in on Sukhumvit, but that same guy recognised me and told his mate to let "good farang" go, bless 'im.

One once asked to see tax/insurance but as soon as I popped the seat and went for the plastic bag he waved me off - it could have been the Beano in there for all he knew.

Maybe they're just clever enough to suss who's up to what.

I do wonder what you could get away with as long as it looks like a Thai Driving Licence.

I've been checked 5 times on bikes and only once did they actually look at it properly.

Mind you, about 3 months later everyone got pulled in on Sukhumvit, but that same guy recognised me and told his mate to let "good farang" go, bless 'im.

One once asked to see tax/insurance but as soon as I popped the seat and went for the plastic bag he waved me off - it could have been the Beano in there for all he knew.

Maybe they're just clever enough to suss who's up to what.

They do not check it at all i do not think.

I only have car license and never had any cop question it while on the bike.

they are looking for any excuse just to issue the ticket