IGNORED

A motobike is fun but...

firstholliday

Going again soon. And broke up with Miss HK.

I,m used to drive in Pattaya and got pulled over once when i was dryving from Pattaya Thai towards soi bokhouw, only thing the fridaymarket was there so i could not enter due to to much traffic? and got pulled over. LINCENCE!!!! the cop said. I just looked stupid and said excuse me? (in dutch.I found it a good deal with the boys in brown is not to speak english and thai and they will pai pai paaaaaaaai you quickly) But miss HK in the back said to him. He does not have driver lincense... i thought i would kill the bimbo. But much to my amazement the copper let me go..... I asked HK why the hell did he let us go? Answer some polite good some no good..??

Ok so i don't have a int licence. Not insured. Not that this is a big deal coz we 'the allmighty farang" are to pay anyway.in case of excident due to the perfect thai logic of; if you were in your country excident would not have happened.. Can't beat that one :Chokdee:

Miss hk has no license also and gets pulled over once a month. costs 500 baht pay at the police station and on your way you go...

Now how much you pay as a farang? same price?

Anyone has some advice on this? I really want to drive arround, i love the being free feeling.

I,m bound to get pulled over coz many many MANY controls these days. But if it is 500 baht can be payed at the spot i will take my chances.

Thanks for the reply.

1st

I,m used to drive in Pattaya and got pulled over once when i was dryving from Pattaya Thai towards soi bokhouw, only thing the fridaymarket was there so i could not enter due to to much traffic? and got pulled over. LINCENCE!!!! the cop said. I just looked stupid and said excuse me? (in dutch.I found it a good deal with the boys in brown is not to speak english and thai and they will pai pai paaaaaaaai you quickly) But miss HK in the back said to him. He does not have driver lincense... i thought i would kill the bimbo. But much to my amazement the copper let me go..... I asked HK why the hell did he let us go? Answer some polite good some no good..??

Ok so i don't have a int licence. Not insured. Not that this is a big deal coz we 'the allmighty farang" are to pay anyway.in case of excident due to the perfect thai logic of; if you were in your country excident would not have happened.. Can't beat that one :Chokdee:

Miss hk has no license also and gets pulled over once a month. costs 500 baht pay at the police station and on your way you go...

Anyone has some advice on this? I really want to drive arround, i love the being free feeling.

I,m bound to get pulled over coz many many MANY controls these days. But if it is 500 baht can be payed at the spot i will take my chances.

Thanks for the reply.

1st

500 baht is the fine for pretty much all offenses.

There are some ways to avoid being stopped or fined

1. always wear a helmet

Next set of rules is from personal observation.

1. Do not look like a tourists, because if you do look like a tourist it is 100% they will pull you over

2. Buy a decent helmet, not the free salad bowl they give you when you rent a bike. Not only good helmet is safe, but also shows to police that you not a tourist, so chances are you do have license and papers in order.

3. Do not ride topless, not only it is against the law, but again shows you are a tourist hence the target of easy money

4. When you see check points, try to stay as far in the lane as possible. Thai BIB will not jump in the middle of the traffic to pull you over

5. Do not talk on the phone when driving-that's asking for trouble

6. Should you have a girl with you, make sure she is wearing a helmet(salad bowl will do)

7. If you do see police check points, just change your route if you can without making it to obvious

In my 2 years of riding, i been pulled over twice, fined only once because BIB considered turning without green arrow is same as running the red light and was booked once for parking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psvL2eYQ7YM&feature=related

There are three sides to every argument: your side, my side and the right side.

Thank God I'm an atheist.

Easy: get a Thai DL, cost much less than 1 ticket.

I wear a full face helmet, drive 20K a year and have not been stopped once.

From what i read before tourists can not get Thai DL, I think must have either ED Visa, or NON B or O

Well, I have Tourist Visa and a Thai DL.

If one office say No, just go to the next.

Pattaya said no, I went to DL office before Sri Racha and got it.

Hmm ok, someone did a post not so long ago about this, and said he could not get it because of Visa.

I guess TIT, as you said different office different regulations.

What about 30 days visa on arrival? can those people get DL?

Cheap huh..

Grrrr ok a beer a shot and a round with Mamma in the buffalo bar!! :Chokdee:

Good advice from Kuffki.

Get a licence if you are not here on a Tourist VISA, it is not that hard and also saves you money on National Park entry fees, eg Koh Sommet, and some other attractions (you get the Thai price)

Have done 9000kms around Pattaya in 2 years and never been stopped or fined (touch wood.

Have done 9000kms around Pattaya in 2 years and never been stopped or fined (touch wood.

where you ride? up and down 1 small soi, only at night, seems extraordinarily lucky.

When you've seen 3 young school kids ride

around a cop trying to stop them for no helmets

it make you wonder "why bother to stop?"

Who is fit to govern others?

He who governs himself. ?

You might as well have said: nobody.

Ok so i don't have a int licence. Not insured. Not that this is a big deal coz we 'the allmighty farang" are to pay anyway.in case of excident due to the perfect thai logic of; if you were in your country excident would not have happened.. Can't beat that one :c45ec00b:

Thanks for the reply.

1st

I paid 400 Baht at Soi 9 police station once and 200 Baht at a traffic Checkpoint on Sukhumvit another time.

I don't drive much but I got to get a Thai driver's license one of these days.

where you ride? up and down 1 small soi, only at night, seems extraordinarily lucky.

When you've seen 3 young school kids ride

around a cop trying to stop them for no helmets

it make you wonder "why bother to stop?"

OFF TOPIC

But do not get me started on kids riding bikes!

F$&$$^ing F$#%#%^K, some are as young as 9 years old, so short that their legs do not even reach the pedals, yet 3 ,4 or 5 of them on that bike, never a helmet, they ride like its a play station game.

And the worst part is, they are at fault in most bikes accidents involving them and there is nothing you can do.

Should any of them cause an accident with a foreigner, foreigner is immediately at fault and is to pay not only their medical bills, but pain and suffering and all damage. While when they cause accident with another Thai, again nothing can be done because they are minors.

And BIB never pull them over, because they can not get any money out of them. No helmet, no License, Reckless Driving, Speeding,Way under the legal driving age,Triple the allowed amount of passengers and list goes on AND?? NO PROBLEM.

TIT

I paid 400 Baht at Soi 9 police station once and 200 Baht at a traffic Checkpoint on Sukhumvit another time.

I don't drive much but I got to get a Thai driver's license one of these days.

Here is another funny thing with Thai DL

Cops never actually check it. I only have car dl, not bike and every time i was checked they never said anything. I think many guys in Pattaya are in the same boat.

When they pull someone over, they are looking for a reason to fine to be paid.

If have helmet, they want DL, if have Thai DL they want to see insurance, if have insurance they want to see green book, if have green book, they want to see pink book.

Before anyone asks about the pink book, there is no such a thing.

I once met a guy who was pulled over and he had it all (besides the pink book :c45ec00b: ) so he was fined for having "loud" bike. He started to argue with the cop that the bike was a standard Nuovo with no modifications what so ever. Cop started the bike, squeezed the accelerator to the max and said-"see!! very loud"

Ok so i don't have a int licence. Not insured. Not that this is a big deal coz we 'the allmighty farang" are to pay anyway.in case of excident due to the perfect thai logic of; if you were in your country excident would not have happened.. Can't beat that one :c45ec00b:

Thanks for the reply.

1st

I would suspect most falangs and thais have insurance..I believe if you have a accident it is 200,000bond or a trip to jail. A couple thousand baht seems like a cheap price to pay..

I would suspect most falangs and thais have insurance..I believe if you have a accident it is 200,000bond or a trip to jail. A couple thousand baht seems like a cheap price to pay..

Hmmmm, i do not think it is so.

I know when i bought my bike, insurance only covers 15 000 in total (or thats what i understood)

I think to have full insurance, one would need to take out a separate policy which cost little more then few thousand baht.

Also, if you do have full insurance and have accidents but it turns out one does not have Thai dl, Insurance will not pay at all

If someone knows more, please correct me if i am wrong

Hmmmm, i do not think it is so.

I know when i bought my bike, insurance only covers 15 000 in total (or thats what i understood)

I think to have full insurance, one would need to take out a separate policy which cost little more then few thousand baht.

Also, if you do have full insurance and have accidents but it turns out one does not have Thai dl, Insurance will not pay at all

If someone knows more, please correct me if i am wrong

Yes they have 2 types of insurance. The mandatory government which is only a few hundred baht. They also have 3rd party insurance. The 3rd party is going to protect the falang. It is not that expensive and is usually given free or built in to the price when buying a new motobike..Although i do have a thai dl i am curious if it is necessary if you had a claim..

Here is another funny thing with Thai DL

Cops never actually check it. I only have car dl, not bike and every time i was checked they never said anything. I think many guys in Pattaya are in the same boat.

When they pull someone over, they are looking for a reason to fine to be paid.

If have helmet, they want DL, if have Thai DL they want to see insurance, if have insurance they want to see green book, if have green book, they want to see pink book.

What you are saying is it doesn't really matter if you have a Thai DL

because if you have one the bib will find something else to fine you.

I guess I am going to get a Thai DL anyways. Just to have it.

Another piece of ID.

What you are saying is it doesn't really matter if you have a Thai DL

because if you have one the bib will find something else to fine you.

I guess I am going to get a Thai DL anyways. Just to have it.

Another piece of ID.

Well pretty much yeah. Once pulled over, they will look for any reason to fine.

Did you think the pull you over to have a chat?

Maimeepanhaa - a bit of luck may be but when ever I go past a checkpoint they just wave me through. I live on Soi Bourkho and ride along the Sukumvit Road past Jomiten twice a week, over to the Darkside,and all over south, central and north Pattaya, day and night.

Once again, as Kuffki suggests, don't ride like an arse, buy a decent helment ( I have a "Real" open face), wear a shirt.

I have also noticed the prime time for police checkpoints is 5-7pm when the BIB seem to be at every major junction - my schedule means I tend not to ride at that time of day.

Last time i was in Pattaya a couple of month ago, the police really got on my nerves.. Earlier trips I didn't want to rent a motorbike bcos the traffic just looked crazy and I was drinking to much..but this last trip I calmed down a little and got my self a bike the last week.. And I loved it.. but during this week the police stoped me 4 times 555

IMG_0909_800x600.jpg

One time for for being three on the bike, next time I didn't wear a shirt on the highway to Kaew Beach in Sattahip (Nice calm beach I can recomend) He told me I must have t-shirt on bcos it would protect me if I had a accident haha yeah sure..

IMG_0177_800x600.jpg

And in Pattaya I parked my bike on beach-road close to soi 8, and when I picked it up and turned it around it looked like I was coming from the soi 8 in wrong direction.. STOP!! I tried to explain what happend but no way, You did wrong he said with a big smile, I smiled back and signed the note...

But he was not satisfied with that, he picked up a big money clip and kissed it with a huge smile... It was my last day, so not fun to wait 2 hours at the police-station..

IMG_0212_1024x768.jpg

Atleast there was something to rest my eyes on ;-)

IMG_0213_576x768.jpg

I think I paided 400 bath to get my keys back.. Just 2 hours later I got stoped again and this time I really did drive wrong direction on soi 2 I think, but when I showed him the paid fine, he just waved me off, maybe he felt for me I dont know.. Later some girls told me you can only get one fine each day so thats why he let me go, but that sounds really weird too.. However not much suprise me anylonger in this country haha

Back in April for two weeks and I will drive very careful ;-)

Edited by Iznogood

Well pretty much yeah. Once pulled over, they will look for any reason to fine.

Did you think the pull you over to have a chat?

I have been pulled over by cops for a chat once...but that was in Isaan.

...I also have been pulled over in Pattaya and since I had all the paperwork they sent me on my way.

...If they want to they can certainly find a reason to fine you.

Besides the traffic being crazy being pulled over for nothing is another

reason not to drive much in Pattaya.

Edited by papatex