IGNORED

Non Immigrant ED Visa

TMTI

Last year I was here on a Non Immigrant ED Visa, and I did the regular trips, set on the days I needed to leave the country.

Now I have a new Non Immigrant ED Visa (education visa).

I have just read somewhere that you do not leave the country every 90 days...is this true?

I still got a stamp in my passport saying 9th of May and on my arrival card the same stamp with 9th of May.

Sorry for ask here, but on the site of immigration Thailand I cannot find any info.

Let me know, because going to the immigration office in Jomtien is a 5 minute trip, the ones outside the country will take a day.

Edited by TMTI

I'm just about to arrive and get that visa too. From what I've read on a lot of the schools websites is that you don't have to leave every three months you just need to go to Jomtien and pay 1700 baht and its done.

I haven't actually done it yet but all the schools are putting this info on their websites and all are saying that it is 100% that you'll get your renewal. I hope it is the case as I don't want to do visa runs if not needed.

Thanks for your reply.

I will go by the immigration tomorrow allready to ask them. Yes, what you say is true, a lot of schools put it on their site.

I not liked the visaruns a lot, so I always combined it with a trip for a few days. But right now I have no time to do a trip like that.

What school/education are you going to take here?

Edited by TMTI

Gynecology?

talking to a guy last night who has an ED visa and when he went to Jomtien for renewal they gave him a test on his thai language skills. He didnt do very well and said he is worried that if things dont improve the next time he could be in trouble? I didnt realise until I spoke to him that they test you??

I can imagine the phrase list they must use for the test...well, at least what they should use if based on practical application:

1) How Much Barfine?

2) How Much Short Time?

3) How Much Long Time?

4) Where You From?

5) You Like Smoke Me?

6) You Like Boom Boom In Your Butt?

7) You Have Babies?

8) You Agree Long Time In Bar...Why You Leave Now?

9) What You Mean Sick Buffalo, You Tell Me Buffalo Die Last Month!

10) What You Mean Sick (Insert Relative Of Choice), You Tell Me (Insert He/She) Die Last Month!

Sorry OP, I couldn't resist...I not have good heart...LOL.

Cheers Alex

Edited by Alex the Hedonist

I was in Thailand for almost 2 years on a non-im ed visa. I did not have to leave the country every 90 days but did have to check in with immigration with a letter from my school stating I was still studying. My Thai language skills were indeed tested at the 1 year mark. If you've even half-way been paying attention in class it shouldn't be too difficult.

Last year I was here on a Non Immigrant ED Visa, and I did the regular trips, set on the days I needed to leave the country.

Now I have a new Non Immigrant ED Visa (education visa).

I have just read somewhere that you do not leave the country every 90 days...is this true?

I still got a stamp in my passport saying 9th of May and on my arrival card the same stamp with 9th of May.

Sorry for ask here, but on the site of immigration Thailand I cannot find any info.

Let me know, because going to the immigration office in Jomtien is a 5 minute trip, the ones outside the country will take a day.

There are different Non Immigrant visas.

No matter which visa you have, you have to report to Immigration every 90 days (or leave the country and re enter).

If you are not sure about your visa and don't know what you have to do...visit the immigration office and show them your visa.

Thanks I go there now

Anyway for the ones who did the renewal on the office, how much Thai baht does it cost?

Regards

Thanks yes it is 1900 baht.

Went to the immigration this morning. Looked like rush hour over there...was afraid to wait long time, but only needed to wait two minutes.

Lady behind the counter spoke poor English and said something about a letter from my school.

I think she meant that the testimonial I had from my home-university in The Netherlands was not enough (the one I applied with for the non immigrant ED visa in my own country).

Outside I spoke to a guy who helped the people a bit and he tolld me I need a letter from my university in Thailand to give, a picture and the fee of

1900 baht. He also advised to come allready at the end of april.

P.S. This site is also little bit helpfull:

http://www.livingbkk.com/html/learn.html