IGNORED

Why you should think about a Canon S90

jojo90

The Canon S90 is a brilliant camera, and very pocketable.

I especially like the programmable ring that encircles the lens.

If you like the S90 you might also check out the Panasonic Lumix LX3, the pricing is bound to be very competitive at this point since the LX4 is expected later this year.

just a thought,

David G.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jojo90

• Thaihot

• asiancup

• Woofiee

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the review, I just bought one.

Tukcom seemed to be about 18k baht with a 4 Gb card (375 GBP) so I bought one in UK for 280 GBP and someone is bringing it out for me.

I'm so looking forward to having a programmable ring - keh?

Okay boys... just treated myself to one of these bad boys...

D3S_8094-600.jpg

I like the look of the genuine Canon leather case they are selling but they can be quite expensive at around £30.... I took a punt at this Ebay alternative , they look identical and much, much cheaper...

Link

The auction mentions that it is a factory direct sale so maybe they even come from the same factory... will let you know that quality when it arrives.

I also bought a screen protector and a new 16GB SD Card

Will let you guys know the quality when they arrive.

PS. I got the camera itself from Heathrow duty free at £282... staggering price for such a great camera.

All set for wheels up in two weeks!

Playing with it as you posted mate..Using RAW..We can play together when you come over :GoldenSmile1:

Elephants are really, really big compared to televisions....yet I saw a whole herd of 'em on my TV only yesterday..Go figure?
Oh..I nearly forgot..Ehhhh?

ALLEY

Playing with it as you posted mate..Using RAW..We can play together when you come over :GoldenSmile1:

Ha ha ha You will get my moneyshot! :Clap7:

Alleycat and Terry Tibbs are flirting... That is a bit off topic guys, LOL...:GoldenSmile1::Clap7: :Clap7:

Many guys tell me this is the camera to have.

I will wait a few months but I might just get one as they do produce results.

:Grin_Jump1:

Alleycat and Terry Tibbs are flirting... That is a bit off topic guys, LOL...:):Circle_Sharks::GoldenSmile1:

:CumOnFace: The pictures have now been deleted

Elephants are really, really big compared to televisions....yet I saw a whole herd of 'em on my TV only yesterday..Go figure?
Oh..I nearly forgot..Ehhhh?

ALLEY

Ha ha ha You will get my moneyshot! :)

And i will get it from another angle with my Lumix LX3 :Circle_Sharks: Roll on Bangkok......

.........................I like the look of the genuine Canon leather case they are selling but they can be quite expensive at around £30.... I took a punt at this Ebay alternative , they look identical and much, much cheaper...

Link

The auction mentions that it is a factory direct sale so maybe they even come from the same factory... will let you know that quality when it arrives.

Cheers for the link. If they'll post to me here I'll risk one at that price.

I've bought the S90 for 284 from Photo Direct (ebay). It arrived very promptly at my daughter's in UK and she's checked everything and it seems OK.

Now she has to post it on (they would only post to confirmed address) to a friend who's coming out mid April.

After that, hopefully my photo's will improve somewhat. Maybe I can take Pui for another shoot (??).

I like the look of the genuine Canon leather case they are selling but they can be quite expensive at around £30.... I took a punt at this Ebay alternative , they look identical and much, much cheaper...

Link

I have been using an "Always On" Always On neoprene camera wrap for my new S90, an excellent idea, good protection, no problem slipping the camera in my jeans pocket and it is always ready to go.

Available here >> My Memory << or on Amazon.

I got the normal size with built in tripod and it fits fine.

If I was buying again I would forget the tripod and just get a plain wrap as the metal tripod feet blades seem a bit iffy for airport security checks.

This camera takes great pics looking at this thread.

the zoom range is low & not even x5 like most cameras.

the Canon sx210 has a zoom of 14.

Thanks for the info & example pics. :LMFAO:

• 3 weeks later...

I have it in my hand at last - feels great, as does the Canon S90.

Now I need to read the damn book and I'm away. Pretty sure I'm going to buy one of those Chinese cases Terry Tibbs found on ebay. They confirmed they'll post to Thailand FOC so I just need to check with TT that he got his OK.

• 3 weeks later...

The S90 is a great camera. Same processor as the G11, which I have. I am actually considering selling my G11 to get the S90 as it is smaller.

• 5 weeks later...

I walked into Paxtons photography in Sydney city yesterday, a very reputable photography shop and they have dropped the price of the S90 by $200 to $499 just this week. That's even competing with Ebay and grey imports.

Thats a great price with 2 year warranty! (1 year canon, 1 year Paxton's)

Bought, now I have to organise time off work. :mad:

Edited by Jumbolaya

"Bucking and Rogering in the 21st century!"

Cheers for the link. If they'll post to me here I'll risk one at that price.

I've bought the S90 for 284 from Photo Direct (ebay). It arrived very promptly at my daughter's in UK and she's checked everything and it seems OK.

Now she has to post it on (they would only post to confirmed address) to a friend who's coming out mid April.

After that, hopefully my photo's will improve somewhat. Maybe I can take Pui for another shoot (??).

Another shoot of my wife ??????????????lol 10.gif

Edited by wild58

Canon have just released the new ixus 300.

Any opinion on this camera ?????

The guy in the shop told me same spec as S90 but smaller case & some extras.

I have had sony point & shoots but this canon thread has made me go out & look at canon cameras.

:P

Based upon your recommendation and the reviews online I picked one up for my next trip. Love it! Much better low light pics than my Leica C_Lux 3.

Never trust anything that can bleed for 5-7 days and still live!!

Life is not the amount of breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away

<center><embed src="http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-vacation/show.swf?clickURL=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/&clickLABEL=MySpace Countdown Clocks&flashLABEL=Countdown Clock Codes&skin=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-vacation/skins/28.jpg&text=Until%20I%20am%20balls%20deep%20in%20some%20Thai%20pussy%21%21&untilColor=6724095&textColor=0&datesColor=0&year=2011&month=0&day=28&hour=19&minute=15&second=0&x=6&y=77" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="300" height="200" name="countdown" align="middle" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /><br><small><a href="http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/">MySpace Countdown Clocks</a></small></center>

Excellent camera. I have had one for a while and just love everything about it. Got it with 16GB memory and never filled it.

I recommend that you get the extra grip sold by Richard Franiec on http://www.kleptography.com/rf/#camera_s90

s905-800.jpg

Makes the camera more stable and easier to hold. I have it on my S90.

Canon have just released the new ixus 300.

Any opinion on this camera ?????

The guy in the shop told me same spec as S90 but smaller case & some extras.

I have had sony point & shoots but this canon thread has made me go out & look at canon cameras.

:)

Having just ordered an S90 (doh!) I wanted to see if I this was right. At TrustedReviews one of the comments caught my eye:

"Isn't this camera basically the S90 without the ability to shoot RAW?"

While I can see why you might think that, it's not. The manual controls aren't as extensive or as accessible as on the S90 and this has HD video as well as a host of other modes made for the ixus user over more technical users. The sensors are also different, this is CMOS (like in SLRs), the S90 is a special CCD made for low light scenarios. Basically - this is for everyone (all be it a rich everyone), the S90 is more prosumer in my opinion.

Having used this out and about, it's stonking at low-light shots.

I've got an S90 and was very interested to see how the CMOS would work out in comparison and it does a great job. Easily one of the best low-light performers I've seen. Yes, it's expensive, but Canon always put a crazy entry price then slash it after not long at all.

I didn't get any lag with focus to be honest though did most of my shooting in a restaurant, so my tests weren't rigorous. It was just great having a pocketable, reasonable megapixeled camera that handles low-light and has stereo HD video. I really liked the size as well - MUCH more pocketable than my S90.

Oh, and having had a TZ7 before - yes, £200 is a good price for it, but this delivers MONUMENTALLY better low-light performance and I found it quite a bit zippier too.

So again, DOH!

But I'll keep the order in for the S90. I really want the manual modes and especially the RAW mode, even if the color profiles for Canons aren't quite there yet (although I got that bit of intel from a Nikon fan, so grain-of-salt) I've ordered Aperture 3 for post-processing - might be time for a new Mac as well...Shit, this is going to be an expensive month.

Edited by Woofiee

Having just ordered an S90 (doh!) I wanted to see if I this was right. At TrustedReviews one of the comments caught my eye:

So again, DOH!

But I'll keep the order in for the S90. I really want the manual modes and especially the RAW mode, even if the color profiles for Canons aren't quite there yet (although I got that bit of intel from a Nikon fan, so grain-of-salt) I've ordered Aperture 3 for post-processing - might be time for a new Mac as well...Shit, this is going to be an expensive month.

Thanks for the info but is it the S90 or the Ixus 300 ?????????

I am just a point & shoot guy but my last few cameras have been Sony.

I am confused.

May be I should just have the new Sony HX5 ???????

:Clap8:

Thanks for the info but is it the S90 or the Ixus 300 ?????????

I am just a point & shoot guy but my last few cameras have been Sony.

I am confused.

May be I should just have the new Sony HX5 ???????

:Clap8:

All the manual and tweekery referred to the S90. I've no idea about the 300; it's likely too new for third-party color profiles to hit the street.

If you're a point-&-shoot guy, I think you'll prefer the Ixus 300. Smaller and just easier to use.

All the manual and tweekery referred to the S90. I've no idea about the 300; it's likely too new for third-party color profiles to hit the street.

If you're a point-&-shoot guy, I think you'll prefer the Ixus 300. Smaller and just easier to use.

Thanks for the advice.

I will think about it for a few weeks as I am just watching the world cup & will not shoot no pics before its all over.

:001_Thank_You5: