Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Why you should think about a Canon S90

jojo90

Hey Guys,

Prior to my last trip I undertook some research into what would be the perfect camera to take. I already have a big SLR however having decided just to take a backpack I wanted a compact.

My criteria was

1) Superb low light imaging

2) Compact enough to fit in a pocket

3) Discrete enough to not attract unwanted attention

4) Able to shoot in RAW

5) Comparable image quality to SLR

6) Same control as SLR i.e. manual mode and easy to switch ISO/aperture/shutter speed

Now in simple terms a camera that shoots well in low light conditions needs to have two things. Firstly a large aperture (i.e. low 'f' number) and secondly the capability to not only go to high ISO but also the ability to do so with low noise. Ideally we are looking for a compact with <= f2.0 and ISO >=1600/3200. Arguably a third is image stabilization however this does not help unless the subject is still.

Now after researching there are only really two that fit the bill, the first is the Canon S90 and the second is the Panasonic Lumix LX3. Having taken a trip to John Lewis and physically played with the two the Panasonic is too big to slip into a pocket and to my eye too flashy.

So that leaves the beautiful and understated Canon Powershot S90 :GoldenSmile1:. Aperature is f2.0, you can go to 3200 ISO with low noise (and boost to 128000 with a 'special' mode although noise isn't great), and it has image stabilization!

Canon-PowerShot-S90.jpg

Physically this is a very sexy little camera with a good weight behind it and nice easy to use controls. Now this isn't going to be an in depth review (plenty of those on the net) rather a few notes. A few users complain about the noise on this camera at high ISO. The way to negate this is to use the free software that comes with the camera called 'Canon Digital Photo Professional'. If you shoot in RAW and post process with this tool the picture quality is far far superior to the camera's in built jpg processing. The only other negative is you won't get the 'blurry background' and bokeh you would with an SLR body and low aperture. Now I'm no expert however this is probably due to the small lens and small CCD sensor i.e. this is a quality all compacts will exhibit. The plus side is f2.0 has a wide enough depth of field that you wont need much else :Who_Cares:.

I won't post the positives... the pictures can do the talking :). Remember the best camera is the one you have with you and this one is always in my pocket. Have plenty of amazing images from UK clubs and bars however, of course, won't be posting those.

All of these pics are taken with no flash and use only available light. Not my typical arty stuff more what a compact does best - a point and shoot when you've had a few beers :). I have included indoor, outdoor, and cropped shots at varying ISO settings to give you a flavour of the image quality. The bar shots are all taken at night time...

Phi Phi

DPP_0073.jpg

Midnight outside loom on Phi Phi

DPP_0072.jpg

Cropped (about 25%)

DPP_0071.jpg

Midnight Street Vendor

DPP_0070.jpg

Daylight on Phi Phi (macro)

DPP_0069.jpg

Low light bar scene - ISO 3200

DPP_0068.jpg

Low light bar scene - ISO 1600

DPP_0067.jpg

'Fireworks' Mode.. actually quite good notice how the hotel is blurred yet the fireworks are clean? This was handheld with a shutter speed of 2s so I think the camera has some fancy logic hiding in there :)

DPP_0065.jpg

Hand held @ ISO 3200 on beach in darkness on Phi Phi with shutter speed of 2s.. nice IS :).

DPP_0064.jpg

Hand held @ ISO 3200 on beach in darkness on Phi Phi with shutter speed of 2s.. nice IS :).

DPP_0063.jpg

One of the camera's inbuilt scene modes - a little noisy as not post processed RAW

DPP_0054.jpg

In a toilet cubicle in Angelwich :).

DPP_0051.jpg

ISO 80 - pin sharp.

DPP_0049.jpg

ISO 80 - pin sharp.

DPP_0048.jpg

Bar scene at night ISO 800ish

DPP_0044.jpg

Bar scene ISO 3200

DPP_0043.jpg

ISO 800 (can go this low due to image stab)

DPP_0041.jpg

ISO 800

DPP_0040.jpg

DPP_0039.jpg

DPP_0035.jpg

DPP_0033.jpg

DPP_0031.jpg

DPP_0029.jpg

Peace :).

Edited by jojo90

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jojo90

• Thaihot

• asiancup

• Woofiee

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cannon should pay you a commission jojo, was in the market for a pocket camera think I will pick this one up before my V trip.

Posted Image

Thanks for the review on the S-90 Power Shot. Your image quality is quite good for a compact and seems to perform well under low light conditions which has always been the big problem for compacts. I studied the S-90 carefully and compared it to the Canon G-11 for my second camera as I normally shoot with my Nikon DSLR. They have very similar specs and pricing with the exception of the G-11 is 28-140 mm (5x) and the S-90 is 28-105 mm (3.8x). I purchased the G-11 and am quite happy with it although it does not really fit into my pants pocket and I carry it in a pouch on my belt.

hmm,me my self i have a Olympus 725 SW,and i for think this Camera is just as good,if not better.

And the + side,it is shock proof and water proof down to 5 meters,so there will be no trouble using it while attending LoS during Songkran or in the pool/sea.

And yes,you can dive with it as well.(as the fabric say´s,down to 5 meters)

Ps. The one i have is 7.1 Mb,the new model is 12 Mb i think.

Regards:Matrix

When the life as you live it goes titts up, can you press Ctrl-alt-delete to remove it or is that only on the internet?

Posted Image

Thanks for the review on the S-90 Power Shot. Your image quality is quite good for a compact and seems to perform well under low light conditions which has always been the big problem for compacts. I studied the S-90 carefully and compared it to the Canon G-11 for my second camera as I normally shoot with my Nikon DSLR. They have very similar specs and pricing with the exception of the G-11 is 28-140 mm (5x) and the S-90 is 28-105 mm (3.8x). I purchased the G-11 and am quite happy with it although it does not really fit into my pants pocket and I carry it in a pouch on my belt.

From other reviews I read the S90 has basically all the same innards as a G11... reason for not going for it is I couldn't fit it in the pocket of my jeans (I'm only 30-32 waist so small pockets :GoldenSmile1: ) and it looks a bit flashy so can distract the subject! My personal opinion is I might as well carry my SLR about if it won't go in the pocket. Next trip will stay in Pattaya so no need to backpack it. Already looking at a nice 5D to get some lovely shots... although the S90 will always be my out and about camera.

hmm,me my self i have a Olympus 725 SW,and i for think this Camera is just as good,if not better.

And the + side,it is shock proof and water proof down to 5 meters,so there will be no trouble using it while attending LoS during Songkran or in the pool/sea.

Hiya - yeah I had a look at that one however the aperature isn't wide enough for no flash low light, no image stabilization, and you can't shoot in RAW (which has some big advantages such as making poor photographs useable by tweaking)! You might actually find the image quality on yours is better than the 12MP one.. the quality of the sensor and glass is more important than the number of MPs.

First, :GoldenSmile1: for taking the care to scale the images for the site. It's so annoying to have a page choke my connection only to find a dozen out-of-focus photos sized down to 25% to fit on the page.

(People, this impacts the site's performance and costs $€£¥ in wasted bandwidth. Sorry, I do sites and its my fav soapbox to stand on. www.resizr.com is your friend!)

ANYWAY, the shots are great! I know much if it is left to the composition of the photographer's eye, but were the shots on AUTO or did you play much with the manual settings? Canon's seem to lean towards brilliant blues, I've noticed. I've an old Nikon that I thought to replace with a Coolpix, but this is very interesting...!

First, :GoldenSmile1: for taking the care to scale the images for the site. It's so annoying to have a page choke my connection only to find a dozen out-of-focus photos sized down to 25% to fit on the page.

(People, this impacts the site's performance and costs $€£¥ in wasted bandwidth. Sorry, I do sites and its my fav soapbox to stand on. www.resizr.com is your friend!)

ANYWAY, the shots are great! I know much if it is left to the composition of the photographer's eye, but were the shots on AUTO or did you play much with the manual settings? Canon's seem to lean towards brilliant blues, I've noticed. I've an old Nikon that I thought to replace with a Coolpix, but this is very interesting...!

I rarely use full manual and for the low light shots I either fix the aperature or fix the ISO depending on my needs. I think you would be fine in full Auto and get decent shots. As for leaning towards blues it is not something I have noticed however anything like that can be touched up afterwards if you shoot in RAW (which you should - the camera can capture a RAW and a jpg at the same time so no excuses ;)). Perhaps you are referring to the white balance? In that case you can either caliberate it in the bar (using a bit of white paper) or get it right afterwards using RAW. When you shoot jpg the white balance is pretty much fixed at whatever the camera thought was best at the time. In bars with coloured lights and no flash this is rarely correct :).

The daylight pics have some very nice colours. Were they shot as jpgs or raw? Did you do any post processing or adjust the WB if they were shot in raw?

Thank you for the review. I've been looking for a compact like this, for those times I leave my Nikon D90 SLR at home. However, I like Nikon a little more than Canon, I wonder what is the equivalent Nikon. Did you look at any of the Nikon's? Thanks again. SP

SEXY GORDO - SEXY PUMPUI - เซ็à¸à¸‹à¸µà¹ˆà¹„ขมันมนุษย์

Coming Soon

Sexy Pumpui - Girlfriend Experience - Coming in 2011

Sexy Pumpui - My Isaan Thaidoll (October 2011)

Now Playing

Sexy Pumpui - Street Photography - 2011

Sexy Pumpui - Butterfly- October 2010

Sexy Pumpui - Playing with Dolls july 2010*****

Sexy Pumpui - Thai Daisy Dukes (Sexy Everyday) *****

Sexy Pumpui - Obsession - sleepless in Pattaya - jan 2010 ****

Sexy Pumpui - Feeding the Addiction- End Of Year 2009 *****

Sexy Pumpui - Fall Fling - sep 2009

Sexy Pumpui - Best of All the girls I've lubbed before*****

Blogs

Metrosexual TIps to Keep yourself in Tip-Top Shape for the TG's

Sexy Photo (Beginner's Guide)

Pumpui's Guide to Good Eatin' (Advanced Eating Guide)

Great pics for a small camera !

thanks for the review :Circle_Sharks:

The daylight pics have some very nice colours. Were they shot as jpgs or raw? Did you do any post processing or adjust the WB if they were shot in raw?

Yes shot in RAW and I probably played with the saturation, contrast, and sharpness. As for WB this is perfect when outside it is only in bars that you may need to fiddle a bit (as to be expected with all those red and blue lights!).

Thank you for the review. I've been looking for a compact like this, for those times I leave my Nikon D90 SLR at home. However, I like Nikon a little more than Canon, I wonder what is the equivalent Nikon. Did you look at any of the Nikon's? Thanks again. SP

I don't think Nikon offer a comparable product i.e. <=f2.0, IS, and RAW shooting in a compact body.

Thanks for taking the time to post this. I never ended up bringing my camera with me on my last trip 'round the world since it's rather bulky (Canon Powershot S3) and I don't like lugging it around.

I was looking at the Olympus Stylus Tough line for their ruggedness and durability - I do a lot of my job outdoors during the spring and summer so it's nice to have that kind of reliability. I take it the S90 isn't well suited for a clutz like me who might end up leaving it in my pocket when I jump into the ocean or bang my leg up against a door frame :Birthday_Cake:

It takes some amazing photos, though I have to give credit to the photographer. I struggle to get shots that nice when I'm sober.

Who's the stunner in the 4th last photo? I'm going to guess a LB ... just because that seems to be the way it goes with the hottest ones.

Dammit Jojo your gonna make me spend 400 bucks ! :GoldenSmile1:

I,ve been reading up on this camera and it gets great reviews and seems to exceed most other pocket size cameras

whats the cheapest you guys have seen it selling for ? 409.00 cad is the best i can find locally

Thanks for taking the time to post this. I never ended up bringing my camera with me on my last trip 'round the world since it's rather bulky (Canon Powershot S3) and I don't like lugging it around.

I was looking at the Olympus Stylus Tough line for their ruggedness and durability - I do a lot of my job outdoors during the spring and summer so it's nice to have that kind of reliability. I take it the S90 isn't well suited for a clutz like me who might end up leaving it in my pocket when I jump into the ocean or bang my leg up against a door frame :Question:

It takes some amazing photos, though I have to give credit to the photographer. I struggle to get shots that nice when I'm sober.

Who's the stunner in the 4th last photo? I'm going to guess a LB ... just because that seems to be the way it goes with the hottest ones.

I was wondering when someone would spot the lb :). Read my tr for details but basically as only 2nd night in pattaya didn't figure out she was lb until just outside the hotel. Figured she was sexy as hell so why not give it a go! Wouldn't necessarily seek out that experience again but would prob go with the flow again in similar circumstances. You only live once ;). She did become a bit obsessed with me tho...

The S90 had a metal body and feels rugged but probably wouldn't survive a few drops and certainly not waterproof. I have a rugged camera for underwater and mountain biking!

I have to concur with jojo90. I love the Canon S90. The pictures at the end of the day are what matters so here are some..And I am not as proficient a photographer as many of the guys on the board

700 - Copy - Copy.JPG

675 copy.jpg

231 - Copy.JPG

308 copy.jpg

Elephants are really, really big compared to televisions....yet I saw a whole herd of 'em on my TV only yesterday..Go figure?
Oh..I nearly forgot..Ehhhh?

ALLEY

damn it Alleycat where do you find these hotties :P? Or more precisely how do you deflect away the other TBGs to get these hotties :GoldenSmile1:

Dammit Jojo your gonna make me spend 400 bucks ! :Chokdee:

I,ve been reading up on this camera and it gets great reviews and seems to exceed most other pocket size cameras

whats the cheapest you guys have seen it selling for ? 409.00 cad is the best i can find locally

Best prices I have found, B13,100 in Panthip Plaza, HK$2,980 in Hong Kong.

Perhaps you are referring to the white balance? In that case you can either caliberate it in the bar (using a bit of white paper) or get it right afterwards using RAW. When you shoot jpg the white balance is pretty much fixed at whatever the camera thought was best at the time. In bars with coloured lights and no flash this is rarely correct :001_Thank_You5:.

I've an older Coolpix so no RAW abilities, but I do love me some manual controls. Deep exposures and lush color, which is what brought my eye to your shots. The blue of the sea seemed too blue, but not an overall cast and certainly not a white balance issue. I just thought the color was too deep but perhaps it's just that I'm not used to the color of the canon imager.

I have looked at both the G11 and the S90 and both are excellent cameras. Both these cameras can do so much. I will most likely pick up an S90 because of it's smaller size. I sort of call it a mini G11!!! :P

Owl

Anyone know how much you can pick an S90 up at Dubai Duty Free?

Anyone know how much you can pick an S90 up at Dubai Duty Free?

I saw them at Gatwick for like £80 less than I paid - DOH! Try phoning Dixons and asking?

I've an older Coolpix so no RAW abilities, but I do love me some manual controls. Deep exposures and lush color, which is what brought my eye to your shots. The blue of the sea seemed too blue, but not an overall cast and certainly not a white balance issue. I just thought the color was too deep but perhaps it's just that I'm not used to the color of the canon imager.

Ahhh now I understand - yes that would be me playing round with the saturation using Canon DPP :Chokdee:.

Dixons at Heathrow terminal 3 has them in stock at £286.80

Good price if you ask me!

Thanks for the advice & the pics are great.

I think I might get this camera.

:GoldenSmile1:

Great review JoJo, thanks.... :GoldenSmile1::Drunk:

You can take it deeper than that, LOL... I know because I have tried it...