IGNORED

PROTESTERS AT AIRPORT (If any)

madge

Ive been waiting for this trip for months now and just when Im 2 days from traveling I have just been informed by a Thai person in Bangkok that chances are there maybe some protesting going on similar to 18 months ago when they shut down the airport which will piss us off hugely so is anyone any the wiser ?

I just talked with my Thai girlfriend a few minutes ago. She tells me that the demonstration in not near the airport this time but no one knows what will happen of if things will escalate into something more.

I am returning in about 3 weeks myself. I hope this doesnt close anything down. I was there last time, actually stuck in Cambodia wanting to fly into Bangkok. Ended up taking a bus, which I don't really care to do again!

In my opinion there's a very high chance the Reds with march on the airport and seize it. This seems to me to be the final push from the Reds to topple the gov' and it's do or die time for them. When the Yellows seized the airport that did it, virtually shut the country down, so the gov stepped down. The same would work again this time for the Reds. If things get out of hand this Sunday then I think there's a very chance they'll move towards the airport on Monday or Tuesday.

It seems like the army / government will be prepared this time & the trouble will hopefully be isolated to disparate areas in Bangkok city main. :Hit_Self:

My 1st ever trip was 4 Jan 09 & luckily the trouble at the airport was over by then. Next trip was April / May 09 during the protests. I had many calls from family & friends asking if I was OK. My answer was 'what protests?'. The western media really does hype these things. :Circle_Sharks:

Now, my next trip I arrive on 25 March. Possibly the worst time as, if the protests do spread / escalate, I will lose my holiday. I don't care about the money; I just want to spend a month with my girlfriend.

Maybe I'm worrying too much, but it doesn't help to have it niggling away at the back of my mind.

Peace. :Greetings9:

sgu_banner.gif

In Thailand things can change by the day , by the hour , by the ......

Just wait and see , there is also Don muang as an alternative . I think this time they wanna keep

open one of the two airports because last time it costed Thailand a hell of a lot of money and a

long time to get turisme back to normal again .

Hey thanks to you all i guess we are in the hands of the red and yellow shirts eh (bless them) as we are due to arrive on monday at 4pm i think i will wear black and tell my mate who wont no anything about it to wear bright yellow or red :)

Hey thanks to you all i guess we are in the hands of the red and yellow shirts eh (bless them) as we are due to arrive on monday at 4pm i think i will wear black and tell my mate who wont no anything about it to wear bright yellow or red :Crazy1:

I like your style fella!

It's like the old joke about coming across a bear. You don't need to outrun the bear, just outrun your friend. :stargate002:

Peace. :)

sgu_banner.gif

I arrived yesterday and I did not see any type of protesters or anything of the like at the airport. I did find a few to many San Migs which I now protest, thanks to a few fellow board members! :)

The red shirts did not rule out the possibility of copying the yellow-shirt group's tactics,

including seizing government offices as well as Suvarnabhumi Airport, the source said.

The bottom line was to stir a chaotic situation until the government loses control.

From the Nation newspaper 09 March 2010

"It seems like the army / government will be prepared this time & the trouble will hopefully be isolated to disparate areas in Bangkok city main." Yes, correct El Cata. I'm sure the Reds would like to seize the 2 airports but as you state this time everybody's prepared for that. Mind you if they have the numbers and march for the airport it will only take military intervention to stop them. Whatever happens it's a most interesting period in Thailand's history. I'm happy i'm well away from it up here in Khon Kaen but on the 22nd I'm moving back to Patts, so I hope all this shit has blown over by then so I can prowl the alleys and gutters of Pattaya in peace.

I will be watching closely as I arrive on the 26th... But I am sure that by then it will at least be clear as to what direction this is all taking...

I will be watching closely as I arrive on the 26th... But I am sure that by then it will at least be clear as to what direction this is all taking...

Currently in Pattaya, I had planned to arrive Bangkok tomorrow for a couple of days before flying out Monday AM.

Just spoke to a local agent in Bangkok that has helped me with my currrent trip around Thailand.

I was advised to stay in Pattaya and take things day to day. The feeling is that the Government is more prepared this time but no one knows what will happen. Also the demonstrations last time had a stop date and this one does not so there is the feeling that a bigger potential for escallation exists this time.

I guess there could be worse places to be bogged down than Pattaya...

Hmmm... I am scheduled to arrive on the 21st. I hope everything gets sorted out or at the very least, the airport is left alone by the time I arrive.

babydollsaddict.gif

I just hear from a Thai friend that Suvernabhumi is closed and that the red shirts are out there now .

THAI requests passengers to spare time to get to the airport

BANGKOK: -- In the view of the Political Rallies from the 12 th March 2010

onwards, Thai Airways International Public Company Limited has an

Operational Plan prepared for the situation. Passengers are reminded

to spare time to get to the Airport early.

Mr. Piyasvasti Amranand, THAI President, said that due to the

political rallies starting from Friday 12 March 2010 onwards, for

passengers’ convenience and as there may be traffic congestions, THAI

requests passengers traveling by THAI on domestic routes to arrive at

Suvarnabhumi Airport three (3) hours prior to the flight time and

those traveling on international routes to arrive at Suvarnabhumi

Airport four (4) hours prior to the flight time.

THAI’s Ticket Offices on Larn Luang and Silom Road will be closed on

Saturday 13 March and Sunday 14 March 2010. Passengers may contact

and purchase tickets at the THAI Headoffice on Vibhavadi Rangsit Road

as following details:

Saturday 13 March 2010 Opening hour 08.00 – 17.00 hrs

Sunday 14 March 2010 Opening hour 09.00 – 13.00 hrs

Furthermore, THAI will temporarily close THAI Contact Center at Larn

Luang during the political rallies and will transfer THAI Contact

Center staff to THAI Headoffice until the situation is back to normal.

THAI apologizes for any inconveniences caused.

For more information on traveling information, flight schedule and

reservation, please contact THAI Contact Center at 0-2356-1111, 24

hours or at www.thaiairways.com or www.thaiairways.co.th

International Public Relations Department

Thai Airways International Public Company Limited

Tel : (662) 545-2662 / 2663 / 1711 / 4686 / 1705 / 2720

Fax : (662) 545-3891

Crap! I hope all this is cleared up by 15 April!!!! Ready for water festival!

Nothing will happen at the airport, don’t worry. The reds do not have the contacts to do it. As we have seen this demonstration has been a damp squib and an embarrassment for the red shirts. I think everyone is bored of it all now.

Went to the zoo today. Spent ages at the camel enclosure, looking at their toes. They look nothing like a fanny. Disappointing.

Reds today reaffirmed they will not be seizing the airport.

However, they are getting desperate and even mentioning it , in my opinion is alarming.

But, should they try, i am sure government will use force and get rid of them. Martial law is in, so army will clear them pretty fast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psvL2eYQ7YM&feature=related

There are three sides to every argument: your side, my side and the right side.

Thank God I'm an atheist.

In Thailand things can change by the day , by the hour , by the ......

Just wait and see , there is also Don muang as an alternative . I think this time they wanna keep

open one of the two airports because last time it costed Thailand a hell of a lot of money and a

long time to get turisme back to normal again .

i did not realise tourism was back to normal?

Well guys since i started tis topic i may as well end it cos for those of you or 1 who said the airport was closed :Pick_Me: good try and shit did i enjoy my soapie on arrival last nite :GoldenSmile1: and now for those of us that celebrate ou Irish co :Beer8: nnections happy St Patricks day

Yep too late celebrations are well and truly underway so as far as Im concerned the buggers can close the airport now as I dont think there is any other place in this world rite now to be stranded in than here IS THAT SELFISH ?????? Idont think so :Ass_Lick: