IGNORED

USDA steaks and prime

Guest dogeater

hey, like your choice of cuts their..mmmmm

do you want to eat at a place that serves these, buy in bulk, buy for taking home for cooking.

just thot better to know this and get the replies you require...

Angus beef ...mmmm

I have never been able to find USDA grade beef anywhere in the country. There are a few high end restaurants and hotels where you can get decent beef. But not like we can get here. :Finger5:

Try the New York Steakhouse at the JW Marriott in Bangers. Expensive.

Retired

Searched everywhere for honest-to-god USA steaks in LOS, and always come up empty. If anybody knows a place, please post it.

Though, even if you could find them they would certainly be frozen, so not nearly as good as fresh. Add in the typical Thai "attention to detail" and the hot climate, and most likely you'll be getting a steak that was properly quick frozen at the source, then partially thawed and slowly re-frozen a few times by the time it's hot your plate - so probably a rather dry experience compared to what you're used to back home.

Real, actual, flavorful, tender, juicy steak - what I miss most when in LOS. Americans are seriously spoiled for this and we don't even realize it until its gone.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enoughâ€

“If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?â€

Albert Einstein

USDA grading is intended for the US market regardless of the origin of the meat. Any USDA "Choice or Prime" in LOS is secondary market and probably of questionable age, that is unless you are at a place doing direct imports from the US, which will cost you.

All this said I still much prefer US beef to most others, Aussie, BR, and Argentina, are grass fed, best for lean cuts and slow cooking. EU is still 65% retired dairy cows; average age just short of the average Patts BG, put in pot with some cheap french wine and all will turn out fine.

If you're not a cynic, you're not paying attention.

If I really am a pessimist, you'd think I'd be plesantly surpised by the outcome of thing more often than I am.

Try AKA Traders in Soi Town in Town off Pattaya Klang, they fly in Canadian chilled beef in bulk and sell to the top end hotels in Pattaya and Bangkok but they will also sell to walk in customers.

Not connected to them but had one of their rib eye steaks on Saturday night and it was amazingly good!

When I was living in LOS, I found that Foodland on Pattaya Klang offered some pretty good beef. What became a favorate of mine was the Thai Pen Fed beef. Cheaper than the import, but works well on the BBQ.

As for dining out, The Outback in Bangkok had a pretty good cut of beef.

Try AKA Traders in Soi Town in Town off Pattaya Klang, they fly in Canadian chilled beef in bulk and sell to the top end Hotels in Pattaya and Bangkok but they will also sell to walk in customers.

Not connected to them but had one of their rib eye steaks on Saturday night and it was amazingly good!

I find this hard to believe, how do you know it was not frozen before?

The aussie beef is pretty good . I think the trick is to by a large cut ( roast or rib rack) and cut it up into smaller steaks yourself . Individual steaks frozen lose quality pretty fast

I find this hard to believe, how do you know it was not frozen before?

I was told by the owner that they fly the beef in "vacupacked" in a air cargo container, no reason to disbelieve him and the quality of the steak spoke for itself.

Same as SJC said... Foodland, you can buy US airfreight, but be ready to pay 3300 baht a kilo. I go with the Australian Ribeye airfreight myself, from Foodland. It costs 1400 a kilo.

• 2 weeks later...

Try AKA Traders in Soi Town in Town off Pattaya Klang, they fly in Canadian chilled beef in bulk and sell to the top end Hotels in Pattaya and Bangkok but they will also sell to walk in customers.

Air freight Canada to Thailand would be minimum US$6 / pound (750 BHT/ kilo) good find if true. CHilled also means 26 degrees F ( hard as a rock)

If you're not a cynic, you're not paying attention.

If I really am a pessimist, you'd think I'd be plesantly surpised by the outcome of thing more often than I am.