IGNORED

The Grand Palace

Braveheart

The Grand Palace (Thai: พระบรมมหาราชวัง, Phra Borom Maha Ratcha Wang) is a complex of buildings in Bangkok, Thailand. It served as the official residence of the king of Thailand from the 18th century to the mid-20th century. After the death of King Ananda Mahidol in the Baromphiman Palace, King Bhumibol moved the official royal residence to Chitralada Palace. Construction of the Palace complex began in 1782, during the reign of Rama I.

The Palace complex sits on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River. The other approaches to the Palace are protected by a defensive wall of 1,900 metres in length, which encloses an area of 218,400 square metres. Further out from the wall is a canal, which was also created for defensive purposes, making the area surrounding the Palace an island, known as Rattana Kosin.

Extracted from Wikipedia: Grand Palace

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It actually sits on the east bank of the Chao Phraya River not the West.

The area of Koh Rattanakosin is one hell of a lot bigger than the Grand Palace, it includes most of Rachadamnoen Avenue past Democracy Monument, even the Khaosan Road.

• 3 months later...
A few more of the Grand Palace

98186-2860.jpg

98186-2861.jpg

98186-2862.jpg

Interesting place but the people outside trying to sell you something can be a Pain!

Jim

AMEN. those little tapestry salesman will not take no for an answer. I finally walked up to another guy just sitting there and gave him a 100 baht for one of them and said to the stalker that I never buy from his kind of annoying idiot. he still kept following till i spotted a BIB and walked over to him. Finally saw the Grand Palace on my 7th visit. Very impressive.

very impressive place to go if you have not gone you need to put it on to do list for LOS.

I lost the Great Shopper "Joe"

Yes it is a good place to visit at least once on a trip to Thailand. I would have never thought of it but a girl that I met in Club Nana said she wanted to show me. That was a pretty good day just seeing the sights. Very respectful place. Ann said she had to go home to change before we went (long sleevs and paints). So if you take someone make sure they are in the proper attire.

wall_painting.JPG

Wall painting of the entire grounds as you walk in.

more_gold.JPG

big_budda.JPG

The big Buddha, You can not take pictures in side but outside is ok. You cannot wear shoes inside either. There is a shoe rack for you to put your shoe on.

castle.JPG

gold.JPG

lawn.JPG

The lawns are keep very neat at all times. There is also places that Thai's can go that foreigners can't. As we were about to leave Ann was going to take me out a side entrance but we were stopped by the Thai military guard.

Lakeside

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

AMEN. those little tapestry salesman will not take no for an answer. I finally walked up to another guy just sitting there and gave him a 100 baht for one of them and said to the stalker that I never buy from his kind of annoying idiot. he still kept following till i spotted a BIB and walked over to him. Finally saw the Grand Palace on my 7th visit. Very impressive.

The worst are the scam artists who try to convince you that the Palace is closed to foreigners/toursists due to some national observation and whatnot, so they have an optional tuk tuk driver that will take you to another temple (which inevitably leads you to several stops at fake gem stores).

This is like the number one scam in Bangkok, yet people continue to be scammed by this despite the countless warnings about it. I've also noticed that when you take a taxi to the Palace, the taxi driver ends up dropping you off on the sides far away from the main entrance, leaving you 'exposed' right in the heart of the scammers territory.

I've seen the Palace several times and have taken enough pictures of it to make a pass next time.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

• 3 months later...

Namnlöst-4 - Kopia.jpg

Several photo galleries, slideshow and video from here in my website: Plahgat's Thailand

Plahgat

When no money... she no give honey! 

• 1 year later...

Don't listen to the touts outside who try and tell you that "Not open to foreigners till afternoon..... come and go for a boat till it opens"

They even tried this when my Thai wife was with me!

• 4 weeks later...

It has strong historical background which is attractive many tourists and visitors to spend family holidays.

The Grand Palace is open for visitor and specifically at weakened huge people visit there with families.

Be aware of the 'weakened huge people' .... they are the worst .

Be aware of the 'weakened huge people' .... they are the worst .

555 :WinkGrin1:

When no money... she no give honey!