Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

£20 or £50 Notes?

xerive

Hi All,

Couple of questions.

1. What are the best notes to take? £50 or £20 notes? I know they need to be crisp and new but are the Thai's ok with £50 notes?

2. What is the MAXIMUM amount of UK currency I can take in? I read somewhere you cannot take more then 50,000 baht into the country. If you do you have to declare it?

Thanks

Hi All,

Couple of questions.

1. What are the best notes to take? £50 or £20 notes? I know they need to be crisp and new but are the Thai's ok with £50 notes?

2. What is the MAXIMUM amount of UK currency I can take in? I read somewhere you cannot take more then 50,000 baht into the country. If you do you have to declare it?

Thanks

Avoid 50s. 20s no problems. To the best of my knowledge Thailand does not care how much you bring in to the country in foreign currency, I'm not sure about baht. WARNING Do not change your cash up in the UK, you get a much better deal in Thailand and with the pound at 49 baht you'll need every baht you can lay your hands on. You'll only get about 46 baht to the pound in Shitland. Rip off Britain I mean.

never had any problems with 50's

in-fact i have more problems with 50's in the uk!!

"There's plenty more prostitutes in Pattaya" ©2012™

"Only Newbies go home when planned" ©2012

"I don't run a gogo, i run a dance academy" Â©2014

"Sauna and milkshakes a winning combination" Â©2015

Facebook Group ::: Pattaya Bar Crawls and Parties

never had any problems with 50's

in-fact i have more problems with 50's in the uk!!

Same Same here,went to about a dozen different exchanges no issues with £50s, just ordered brand new £50s from my bank

50,000 is the limit for Thai currency you can take out of Thailand - they don't care how much you bring with you !

I do believe that is incorrect, when bringing currency from England anyway.

Pretty sure the limit is £5000.

(in fairness isnt very much if your taking a holiday more than 3months)

Edited by Nak Muay

"There's plenty more prostitutes in Pattaya" ©2012™

"Only Newbies go home when planned" ©2012

"I don't run a gogo, i run a dance academy" Â©2014

"Sauna and milkshakes a winning combination" Â©2015

Facebook Group ::: Pattaya Bar Crawls and Parties

You can take £20 or £50 notes in & banks will take them of you & give you baht no problem.

You can only take out 50000 baht in baht notes but you can take out all your money in £££££££.

You can take in as much in cash as you want if it is yours & you can prove where it came from if pulled just like in the UK.

The signs at the Bangkok airport do say to declare any thing over 10,000 US $$$$$$$.

I have been pulled at Bangkok airport with loads of cash as they searched my cases & cabin bags & they did not blink at the cash believe it or not they were more into my cameras & my fake watches along with my own jewelery that was real 18ct gold & real diamonds in my rings etc.

In the UK you buy a pre paid credit card that is visa from the post office & you can put £5000 on it so its pre pay & then use it to pay for things in Thailand or use it at the ATM to draw cash out.

I hope my input helps you.

I have had no problems with £50's, takes up less room in your pocket.

Anyone out there today you can still get about 49.6 to 1 £ above tops as the banks are closed. Wont get 49 tomorrow.

I do believe that is incorrect, when bringing currency from England anyway.

Pretty sure the limit is £5000.

(in fairness isnt very much if your taking a holiday more than 3months)

Just checked...it's 10,000 Euros or equivalent in any currency.

The money changer I use at Chitlom, will always give me a better rate if I offer £50 notes, and as they take up a lot less space, it is a lot easier to carry these notes.

You can take £20 or £50 notes in & banks will take them of you & give you baht no problem.

You can only take out 50000 baht in baht notes but you can take out all your money in £££££££.

You can take in as much in cash as you want if it is yours & you can prove where it came from if pulled just like in the UK.

The signs at the Bangkok airport do say to declare any thing over 10,000 US $$$$$$$.

I have been pulled at Bangkok airport with loads of cash as they searched my cases & cabin bags & they did not blink at the cash believe it or not they were more into my cameras & my fake watches along with my own jewelery that was real 18ct gold & real diamonds in my rings etc.

In the UK you buy a pre paid credit card that is visa from the post office & you can put £5000 on it so its pre pay & then use it to pay for things in Thailand or use it at the ATM to draw cash out.

I hope my input helps you.

I have considered using the pre-pay cards, but never have, what are the charges made by the card issuer?

Same as most here, never had a problem with 20's or 50's, more hassle with 50's in UK shops/bars etc. I recommend T & T exchange on Beach Road (mentioned on here many times), they always have the edge on a better exchange rate.

<!-- isHtml:1 -->

Never seen a £50 note befor , post a few to me and next time im in Patts i will try and exchange a few you sir ok rolleyes.gif

Just checked...it's 10,000 Euros or equivalent in any currency.

You can take in any amount you like, if it is 10,000 euros (Or equivalant) or more then it must be declared. That is international money laundering law and most countries abide by it. If you can prove where you got it was legitimate there is technically nothing to stop you bringing in as much cash as you can carry.

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

• 4 weeks later...

Can you also withdraw cash over the counter in a bank with one of those cards?

Pattaya is not just one more place where we can enjoy our favourite hobby, Pattaya is the sacred land where we can practise our religion.

• 2 months later...

for our scottish members allways remember to bring english notes

you get a lot less baht for scottish notes for some reason

THE POKER BUNNY

• 5 weeks later...

Whatever amount you are allowed to take, just make sure it is Bank of England notes as they do not recognise any other banks within the UK ie Bank of Scotland etc.

for our scottish members allways remember to bring english notes

you get a lot less baht for scottish notes for some reason

All the places my mate went to wouldn't change his money so as I am a Scotsman living in Australia, I swapped it for him and changed it back in Australia.

All the places my mate went to wouldn't change his money so as I am a Scotsman living in Australia, I swapped it for him and changed it back in Australia.

i have managed to change some scottish notes in pattaya on Walking Street but the exchange rate was pants

THE POKER BUNNY

• 1 month later...

you get a slightly better rate for 50's at super rich in BKK, normal banks don't care

i have taken 20k ukp trough, no problems at all

changing money over there defo sounds like the right idea

Live Life On The Edge Fuck Playing It Safe You Only Get One Shot

• 2 weeks later...

Just get one from the Airport, visa cash card, charge it up with your cash. you get a pin number there and then and by the time you get to BKK its ready to go...... and there is no paper trial !! Small charge on each time that you withdraw cash. Safe and hastle free.

Personally I think those cash cards are a bit of a con.

Would rather take travellers cheques.

Edited by thailearner

www.lcfc.com

www.leicestertigers.com

Posted Image

CountdownClockCodes.com

• 2 weeks later...

Always take £50 notes and never really had a problem. The only problem i've had with changing money in the usual places we tourists change money is if someone has written on the bank notes. They won't touch it if there's writing on the Queens head. Last time i got my £50 notes at Lloyds TSB i asked if i could exchange any notes that were written on or badly torn. The reply i got was sorry can't open the cash draw unless a transaction is being done, so no can't help you, you have to take what your given. Barstewards !!!.

The Thai Banks will take £'s in any sort of condition more or less. Changed some badly torn and written on notes there. The downside is the rate isn't as good.