IGNORED

changing money into thai baht ?

legend35

hi all , please could anyone advise me the best way to change british pounds into thai baht. travellers cheques or take cash to thailand.

will be changing about £ 2000 .whats the best currency rate. cheers

I always take the cash in GBP with me, I have around 10,000 baht ready to get me through the first day/night, then just change sterling when there. Never had a problem yet, it goes straight in the safe when I arrive and I never take out more than I need for that day. You always get a better rate in Thailand than the UK too. There are masses of places to change money in Patts, and if you run out use an ATM, but try to use one in Banks during the day - scammers are known to use skimming machines in Pattaya.

Just take cash and a couple of credit cards, never take them both out at once though! Leave one credit card in the safe.

Edited by Archer4

cheers for the info

A post on another board today said that the T & T Exchange on Beach Rd close to Walking Street and on 2nd Rd also toward Walking Street consistently has the best rate in Pattaya. No personal knowledge, but thought I would pass that along.

Be sure to check around for the best rates -- when I was there in November, 2 exchanges in Royal Garden Center had different rates even though they were in the same basic building. Getting a few extra baht is a free baht bus ride, a water at 7-11, etc. It's not going to make or break my trip, but I like to save where/when I can. I'm not gpoing to take a baht bus ride to save 20 baht, but I will check the rates of the exchanges close to my hotel & favorite haunts.

Also, you will see is a higher rate for traveler's checks -- don't be fooled. Once you factor in the fee that they charge to cash them, you come out behind -- not ahead -- of where you are with cash. That said, given the safety (i.e., you can get refund if lost/stolen), I always take about 1/2 my money in traveler's checks.

At the end of my last trip, I decided not to "re-exchange" 12,000 baht I had left. Didn't really need the cash (only about $350), and I get KILLED changing anything back into USD! It's sitting in a small lockbox in my home, along with my passport waiting for my next trip back to Pattaya!

I usually Take notes of 100$ when I want to travel and change

them at exchange centers around the Walking Street.The exchange

rates are almost the same and the differences are not significant.

It also helps me to control the amount of money that I spend everyday. :001_Thank_You5:

Whether you decide ATM TCs or cash, you will get very similar rates across all banks and exchanges in all places in each category - (TCs usually get the best rate), ATMs are most convenient - but there is now a 150 baht surcharge on all foreign ATM cards at virtually all banks.

T & T consistently had a better rate when I was there Dec/Jan/Feb. Was giving 53 to the £ when others were 51.8. Might not sound a lot, but when you are there for a length of time, it matters.

<!-- isHtml:1 -->

• 2 months later...

if the bht is above 50 at bkk airport change ur money there ,, it was 52 when i went earlier this year ,, when i got to pattaya it never rose above 48 ,, good luck :Think1:

hi all , please could anyone advise me the best way to change british pounds into thai baht. travellers cheques or take cash to thailand.

will be changing about £ 2000 .whats the best currency rate. cheers

[/quote

Best way IMHO is to take cash and keep it in your safe, only exchange in UK enough for the taxi 1000bht for Mr T. and a few baht for a drink or so, £50 will do for that.

As I work in London I always exchange at www.bestforeignexchange.com They have 4 offices and £100 get you 4,515bht today (no charge if you collect)

My mate is in Patts right now and he's only getting 46.5 to the £ it's absolutely crap. I really feel for the guys who have retired out there, especially with a uk pension. I spoke with a few guys when I was in Patts only 10 days ago who used to get over 70 to the £. Wonder if those days will ever return?

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know a good rate-money exchange place in Jomtien? or do you have to do it in Pattaya. :IdHitIt2:

Since most of us are coming to Bangkok first and then Pattaya, would I get better rate in Bangkok than Pattaya or are they all about the same rate?

I always change my cash in Bangkok

http://www.superrich1965.com/app/our_rates.aspx

Is one of the best exchange rates i ever saw. But also this shop have different rates for every shop. The best one is in the Pratunam area (near Gaysorn) 3 Shops on a distance of about 200 meters. At the Skytran station Chitlom is also on of this shops, but with a bit lower exchange rate. But still better than most banks.

from what I see, I think Pattaya may have lower rates from the rest of Thailand, even the air port is better.it may be the tourist thing ??

Never change money to / from Baht outside of Thailand. There is a 11% to 15% penalty imposed by the bank of Thailand to stop off shore trading speculation. A left over from when George Sorros started the Asian currency crisis.

It is better to light even one candle than to live in fear of the dark.

• 1 month later...

If you have an account here in thailand you could wire the money and usually get the best rate that way.

Thai T-Shirt Factory is your one stop screen print and custom clothing solution.

Visit us now: ThaiTshirtFactory.com

If You Think It! We Can Print It!

Here is a answer to your question that there are several banks that provides you the exchange at latest rates or many hotels provides this additional facility for their customers. You can contact there and get the work done.

We must be the change we want to see

• 4 weeks later...

Whether you decide ATM TCs or cash, you will get very similar rates across all banks and exchanges in all places in each category - (TCs usually get the best rate), ATMs are most convenient - but there is now a 150 baht surcharge on all foreign ATM cards at virtually all banks.

"ATM or cash, you will get very similar rates"

That is not my experience BUT it bis rather difficult to compare. The rates change dail and if you withdraw money from an ATM the ticket that comes out does not mention the exchange rate.

The only way to compare is to look at your bank account and compare that rate with the rate for cash at the same day. BUT your bankaccount will charge you a few days later so even if you want to compare, you do have to make a notice of the actual rate for cash at a cetrain date, withdraw money from an ATM and look at your bankaccount a few days later. Then you can make the comparision.

I would be glad to hear freom some of you what is the result!!

If you have an account here in thailand you could wire the money and usually get the best rate that way.

That depends of the account you have. If you have a english pound account you have to chganeg your pounds into thai baht.

If you have a thai baht account maybe you have to chane it first in UK into thai baht.

In both cases, you will have to pay the interbank rates!!

But, i am not an expert but it is all in all not that simple to calculate!!

That is not my experience BUT it bis rather difficult to compare. The rates change dail and if you withdraw money from an ATM the ticket that comes out does not mention the exchange rate.

The only way to compare is to look at your bank account and compare that rate with the rate for cash at the same day. BUT your bankaccount will charge you a few days later so even if you want to compare, you do have to make a notice of the actual rate for cash at a cetrain date, withdraw money from an ATM and look at your bankaccount a few days later. Then you can make the comparision.

With a foreign ATM Card, you never have a good exchange rate like which you would become if you change it from cash in Thailand. The same reason, why exchange rates outside Thailand are so bad.

The best way is to transfer from your bank account to the bank account in Thailand in your own currency and let the Thai bank exchange the money. If you not have a Thai bank account, then the second best is to change cash.. for example at superrich, which provide the best exchange rate i know at the moment.

The worst you can do is transfer money and let do the exchange your bank at home.. I know many banks who like to do this and then explain that this is there standard for transferring money. But then you have the bad exchange rate and also have to spend some money for fees.

And also for transferring money to a Thai account, check different banks. Because different banks have different fees.

I found one bank in my country which only takes around 8€ per transaction. I not have to pay more... So this is a very good deal for me. An other bank also in my country i found i need to pay around 30€ for the same work.

I always change my cash in Bangkok

http://www.superrich1965.com/app/our_rates.aspx

Is one of the best exchange rates i ever saw. But also this shop have different rates for every shop. The best one is in the Pratunam area (near Gaysorn) 3 Shops on a distance of about 200 meters. At the Skytran station Chitlom is also on of this shops, but with a bit lower exchange rate. But still better than most banks.

:001_Sawasdee:Hi man,please tell me the best place in patt for change please .Cheers

post-1-0-28227900-1338976307.gif

• 3 months later...

THE RARTES ARE DISP[LAYED QJUITE CLEARLY ON ALL THE BANKS AND EXCHANGES - WHICH ARE MOSTLY RUN BYTHE BANKS ANYHOW.

I HAVE THREE THAI BANK A/CS AND YOU WILL FIND THAT THE RATES - WHICH OBVIOUSLY CHANGE FROM DAY TO DAY - ARE SO CLOSE IT IS SELDOM WORTH THE EXTRA TIME AND FOOTWORK TO BE OF ANY SIGNIFICANT BENEFIT.

SIT DOWN WITH A CALCULATOR IF YYOU DON'T VBEIEVE ME - APART FR THE CHINESE TRADRS IN BKK - YOU WON'T FIND A BARGAIN EXCHANGE RATE - NEITHER WILL YOU FIND AN UNREASONABLY POOR ONE EITHER.

SORRY - UPPER CASE BY MISTAKE

I use the bank exchange in the tops supermarket located on ground floor.Find this exchange always seem to have better rates than surrounding exchanges all way to Walking Street.