IGNORED

Englishman attempts suicide at Penthouse hotel in South Pattaya

LaaMok

I was drawing attention to the selfish aspect of somebody commiting suicide, having experienced the loss of somebody close to me this way personally. After the event the aftermath is often endured by the people who were close to the deceased for a long time and I don't personally see what those staff must have endured afterwards as 'minor inconveniences'. It does not mean that I have no empathy with the person who attempted to take their own life. I also have empathy for those immediately affected by his decision.

Having lost someone who is close to you in this way, I can understand where you're coming from. I am sorry for your loss, which no doubt was compounded by the added stigma of suicide.

However, you have not experienced it from the other side. There is no 'selfish' aspect of suicide, or at least that caused by clinical depression. When you are clinically depressed, you have no emotional connection with other human beings, or indeed your environment, so almost by definition cannot be selfish. 'Selfishness' implies furthering your needs at the expense of others.

I don't wish to belittle your bereavement. I am just trying to convey to you the difference in scale. Of course, any death of a close friend / relative is very different from the 'relatively' minor inconvenience to the hotel staff, especially those who have to clean up the mess.

The blow would surely be softened somewhat by their Buddhist belief in reincarnation would it not? You're the expert on Thai culture, you tell me.

Oh, & the guests would no doubt derive some sort of sick pleasure from the incident, much as the slack jawed gawkers did when I witnessed an old man being run over on the Naklua Rd this xmas.

Peace.

sgu_banner.gif

Having lost someone who is close to you in this way, I can understand where you're coming from. I am sorry for your loss, which no doubt was compounded by the added stigma of suicide.

However, you have not experienced it from the other side. There is no 'selfish' aspect of suicide, or at least that caused by clinical depression. When you are clinically depressed, you have no emotional connection with other human beings, or indeed your environment, so almost by definition cannot be selfish. 'Selfishness' implies furthering your needs at the expense of others.

I don't wish to belittle your bereavement. I am just trying to convey to you the difference in scale. Of course, any death of a close friend / relative is very different from the 'relatively' minor inconvenience to the hotel staff, especially those who have to clean up the mess.

The blow would surely be softened somewhat by their Buddhist belief in reincarnation would it not? You're the expert on Thai culture, you tell me.

Oh, & the guests would no doubt derive some sort of sick pleasure from the incident, much as the slack jawed gawkers did when I witnessed an old man being run over on the Naklua Rd this xmas.

Peace.

Thanks for the insights into the suicidal mind, I'll try not to appear be so insensitive in the future. As for your theory of the staff and guests deriving sick pleasure from the events...............................

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

A few facts and then we should think about drawing the line on this one and even removing from the forum. Some of the comments might be humourous but, they are inappropriate and, could be harmful.

The sick young man had been staying at the hotel for more than 2 weeks and kept extending his stay. He was due to fly home. He has since been released from hospital and might still be walking the streets of Pattaya.

The Hotel acted as best they could and were complimented by the British Embassy. They even sent flowers to the hospital with a note to the young man wishing him all the best with starting a new life. Whatever we personally think about the hotel this is not really a time to be knocking it. The hotel team, just like all hotels in Pattaya, spend 365 days a year really trying hard to take care of guests. Sometimes, this is not an easy town to live in or visit and, staying strong, takes a lot of will power.

Nasher you seen to know a lot about the penthouse hotel are you the owner or manager there?

What is your vested interest in this hotel?

He obviously gave no concern to the staff or even guests at the Penthouse Hotel.

He should have rented the room with the Swing. Hahah. I have been to Pattaya many times and have been on the emotional roller-coaster due to those Little Brown Thai Girls pulling on hte heart strings. You have to keep a level head and go with friends and keep the drinking in check. We dont know the whole story and Pattaya is not for everybody. I wish the lad a quick recovery.

" Duct tape turns, "No...No...No..." into "Mmmm Mmmmm Mmmmm" - Anon

Attempted Suicide at Penthouse Hotel Pattaya

Over the weekend a Bangkok Hospital Pattaya Ambulance was called to the Penthouse Hotel located in Soi Pattayaland 2 in South Pattaya to deal with an English Tourist who had apparently attempted to take his own life. Medical Staff were directed to room number 309 where they found Mr. William Nenis aged 41 from England. He was found next to the bed on the floor. Major blood loss had taken place due to deep lacerations on both of his wrists. A blood stained knife was also found on the floor. It also appeared that Mr. Nenis had attempted to hang himself with a bed sheet. He was in a serious condition and was rushed to Hospital. We understand that instructions were given to the Hotel Manager to contact the victims Brother in England should anything happen to him. A note was left with him; however he would not reveal its contents to us. We understand Mr. Nenis is currently under close observation at Hospital and the British Embassy in Bangkok is aware of the case.

http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/14252/englishman-attempts-suicide-at-fantasy-hotel-in-south-pattaya/

That is sad--I always think that suicide is a permenant solution to a temp problem--I hope he is ok

Edited by bill130