IGNORED

Flashcard help with ช ช้าง

aitch

Hello, I have a running rough draft to make flashcards and was looking for some help weeding out the words that are irrelevant for everyday use

ชดใช้

ชมรม

ชว- (ชวเลข)

ช่วงเวลา

ช่องทาง

ช่องไฟ

ชอบธรรม

ชะรอย -> ชะดีชะร้าย, บางที(จะ), เห็นจะ

ชะลอ

ชักช้า -> ความชักช้า

ชัด -> ชัดเจน, ชัดแจ้ง, ทำให้ชัดเจน (ให้ชัด), แน่ชัด -> กำกวม

ชั้น -> ชั้นต้น

ชั่ว -> ชั่วคราว, ชั่วระยะ, ชั่วขณะ

ช้า -> ช้าลง, ช้ากว่า, มาช้า, ในไม่ช้า, อีกไม่ช้า, ไม่ช้านี้, ไม่ช้าไม่นาน, ไม่เร็วก็ช้า, ช้านาน, อย่างช้าที่สุด, มิช้ามินาน

ชานเมือง

ช้ำ -> บัวไม่ให้ช้ำ น้ำไม่ให้ขุ่น

ชิม -> ชิมลาง

ชี้ > นิ้วชี้, (คำ)ชี้แจง, (คำ)ชี้แนะ, ชี้นำ, ชี้ทาง, บ่งชี้

ชืด -> เย็นชืด

ชื่อ -> บัญชีรายชื่อ, ป้ายบอกชื่อถนน, ชื่อผู้ใช้ระบบ, เซ็นชื่อ, ลงชื่อ

ชุม -> ชุมทาง, ชุมพล, (การ)ชุมนุม, ชุมชนเสมือนจริง

ชู - > เสื้อชูชีพ, ห่วงชูชีพ

เช่น -> เช่นเคย, เช่นกัน (ด้วย, เหมือนกัน), ตัวอย่างเช่น, เพราะเช่นนั้น (นี้), เช่นไร, อาทิเช่น

เช้า -> กะเช้า, ตั้งแต่เช้า, เช้าวานนี้, เมื่อเช้านี้, พรุ่งนี้เช้า, ตอนเช้า, จากในเช้า

เชื่อ -> ทำให้(ไม่)เชื่อ, น่าเชื่อ, ได้เชื่อ, จะ(ไม่)เชื่อ, จะ(ไม่)ได้เชื่อ, (ไม่)ต้องเชื่อ, (ไม่)เคยเชื่อ, (ไม่)ได้กำลังเชื่อ, ยัง(ไม่)เชื่อ, คง(ไม่)เชื่อ, คงจะ(ไม่)ได้เชื่อ, ควร(ไม่)เชื่อ, (ไม่)อยากเชื่อ, (ไม่)ต้องการเชื่อ, (ไม่)ชอบเชื่อ

try google translate, copy and paste the text and translate from to thai to english

Hello, I have a running rough draft to make flashcards and was looking for some help weeding out the words that are irrelevant for everyday use

ชดใช้

ชมรม

ชว- (ชวเลข)

ช่วงเวลา

ช่องทาง

ช่องไฟ

ชอบธรรม

ชะรอย -> ชะดีชะร้าย, บางที(จะ), เห็นจะ

ชะลอ

ชักช้า -> ความชักช้า

ชัด -> ชัดเจน, ชัดแจ้ง, ทำให้ชัดเจน (ให้ชัด), แน่ชัด -> กำกวม

ชั้น -> ชั้นต้น

ชั่ว -> ชั่วคราว, ชั่วระยะ, ชั่วขณะ

ช้า -> ช้าลง, ช้ากว่า, มาช้า, ในไม่ช้า, อีกไม่ช้า, ไม่ช้านี้, ไม่ช้าไม่นาน, ไม่เร็วก็ช้า, ช้านาน, อย่างช้าที่สุด, มิช้ามินาน

ชานเมือง

ช้ำ -> บัวไม่ให้ช้ำ น้ำไม่ให้ขุ่น

ชิม -> ชิมลาง

ชี้ > นิ้วชี้, (คำ)ชี้แจง, (คำ)ชี้แนะ, ชี้นำ, ชี้ทาง, บ่งชี้

ชืด -> เย็นชืด

ชื่อ -> บัญชีรายชื่อ, ป้ายบอกชื่อถนน, ชื่อผู้ใช้ระบบ, เซ็นชื่อ, ลงชื่อ

ชุม -> ชุมทาง, ชุมพล, (การ)ชุมนุม, ชุมชนเสมือนจริง

ชู - > เสื้อชูชีพ, ห่วงชูชีพ

เช่น -> เช่นเคย, เช่นกัน (ด้วย, เหมือนกัน), ตัวอย่างเช่น, เพราะเช่นนั้น (นี้), เช่นไร, อาทิเช่น

เช้า -> กะเช้า, ตั้งแต่เช้า, เช้าวานนี้, เมื่อเช้านี้, พรุ่งนี้เช้า, ตอนเช้า, จากในเช้า

เชื่อ -> ทำให้(ไม่)เชื่อ, น่าเชื่อ, ได้เชื่อ, จะ(ไม่)เชื่อ, จะ(ไม่)ได้เชื่อ, (ไม่)ต้องเชื่อ, (ไม่)เคยเชื่อ, (ไม่)ได้กำลังเชื่อ, ยัง(ไม่)เชื่อ, คง(ไม่)เชื่อ, คงจะ(ไม่)ได้เชื่อ, ควร(ไม่)เชื่อ, (ไม่)อยากเชื่อ, (ไม่)ต้องการเชื่อ, (ไม่)ชอบเชื่อ

copy and paste to this link then click go http://www.thai-language.com/dict/search#2

GREAT learning idea.

Using general utility words (ie words you'll use in as many situations as possible in everyday talk) is the way to go imho

Rather than learning less frequent rarely used words.

This seems like commonsense to me.

Although you'd be surprised (or maybe not!) by how many course books concentrate on words you'll need more rarely.

Another mistake these books make is introducing too much vocab too quick.

Don't fall into this trap yourself, aitch

Concentrating on a smaller amount of words and using them each more frequently might be better. [ie go for depth not breadth]

You want to hear/see/use as many repetitions of each word as possible in as many different sentences as possible

You may know this aready but thought I'd add it.

This isn't proven fact but seems like commonsense to me. And is backed up by some research.

After this last trip, I realized that my tones are fairly solid (say a B+), a bit dissapointed in my vocabulary (say a C), and tenses bordeline disaster (say a D). Figured I would start by concentrating on core utility words (spot on Monochromeman) and some 'good to knows' now. I hilite words that i think may be useful in SE-ED's modern Thai-English dictionary and then cross check them on the Thai-Language website. Once I have that list, scrub out the words i would never really use. so right now i have that first big list on all the Palatals (จ จาน, ฉ ฉิ่ง, ช ช้าง, ซ โซ่, ฌ กะเฌอ, and ญ หญิง).

One thing was clear, some words were met with the 'Huh ?' type reaction (often the choice of the word i was using and not how i was pronouncing it) and some words would draw the person i was talking to in (like ตามปรกติ for example, can't recall ever hearing this word spoken but the expression on the person's face i was talking to, suddenly focussed).

One example of what i am struggling with using the Thai-Language website is ชะรอย : possibly, perhaps, probably, maybe

the synonyms listed are ชะดีชะร้าย, บางที, เผื่อว่า, ลางที, เห็นจะ, and เห็นทีจะ

When i want to express "possibly, perhaps, probably, maybe" i use บางที and บางที only. Maybe I have heard some of these other words ? Cannot say for sure. Seems as though บางที gets the job done. Not really expecting anyone to scrub thru this entire list, just pick apart some of the obvious. something like yeah "บางที" works but on the street you would use "X".

'Too much too quick' is definately a true statement. I have forgotten more words than i remember, but i do have alot of time to work on these, one by one on my commute (like 3 to 4 hours a day). Often i will hear/see a word and think "i know that word", go look it up later, and then it will tend to stick.

I actually was a little confused with "maybe" at first, I don't think it has a perfectly matching equivalent in English I use it for a few sentances that I have statically learnt and it kinda can also mean 'sometimes', the word that I was told to use and have always used is อาจจะ, it fits the english "maybe" pretty solidly.

If you want to say "maybe not" อาจจะไม่

I found that however nice it is to know something the long way and be able to say it, in everyday speaking Thai the shorter way is usually the way the locals will say it thus improving your chances of being understood straight away.

Edited by herds

A couple that stand out before bed:

๑. ชดใช้ - are you wanting to just say, "pay back"? like if you borrowed some money. I'm sure ชดใช้ is fine but i've always been aware of ใช้(เงิน)คืน.

ยืมเงินไม่ใช้คืน - borrow money and not pay it back.

๒. ตามปรกติ - I've never heard it with ตาม in front apart from in a book. I think if you just want to say 'usually or normally' just say ปรกติ, when I first saw how that word was spelt I was convinced I must have the wrong one as i've never heard it used with the ร sound distinguishable, I thought it would have been spelt more like ปกติ or even ปกตี the way some people stress the ending.

Edited by herds

One example of what i am struggling with using the Thai-Language website is ชะรอย : possibly, perhaps, probably, maybe

the synonyms listed are ชะดีชะร้าย, บางที, เผื่อว่า, ลางที, เห็นจะ, and เห็นทีจะ

When i want to express "possibly, perhaps, probably, maybe" i use บางที and บางที only. Maybe I have heard some of these other words ? Cannot say for sure. Seems as though บางที gets the job done. Not really expecting anyone to scrub thru this entire list, just pick apart some of the obvious. something like yeah "บางที" works but on the street you would use "X".

Try using คงจะ or คง for use as probably ie. ผมคงจะไปตลาดพรุ่งนี้เข้า

I think these 2 will work just fine

Edited by promotz

ชดใช้ - (verb) to reimburse, repay, pay (for amount of loss or damage) - really wasn't thinking about someone else paying me back, more like a situation where i need to. something like (1) i may have lost my wallet, faced with a bill, and i need to deal with the situation at hand. (2) an accident i can't cover right then and there. (3) we have enough money but i cannot cover my share. -> I have seen that stunned look on someone's face when confronted with an unexpected big bill. not an everyday type word, looking at it as a good to know.

when i compare the root words:

อาจ in อาจจะ - may, might

บาง in บางที - some

คง in คงจะ - probably, most likely

then look at:

ชะรอย - possibly, perhaps, probably, maybe

thinking, for now just use อาจจะ for maybe, บางที for sometimes, คงจะ for probably, and scrtach ชะรอย off the list, too ambigous.

ตามปรกติ - "I've never heard it with ตาม in front apart from in a book" I read that Herds and i was thinking about the last time i used it with someone i just met. later on in the conversation, "You are a student studying Thai ?". and then the next day, one of her friends asks "You read alot of books ?" (but did not say ตามปรกติ). Next time i hear something like that, i will be thinking . . remember Herds 'everyday the shorter way'. looking at the Thai-Language website there is ปรกติ and there is ปกติ. when i say ปรกติ, i kinda wash over the ร sound. would have to really listen for it. My T's tend to come across as D's also ('Baltimore' becomes 'Baldimore')

definately appreciate you all taking the time to help me flesh some of these out