Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Mosquito Repellent

rob69uk

Hi

Heading out to los again in a few weeks and i`m sure the Mosquito`s will be on a diet waiting to eat fuck out of my legs again.

Anyone know a good repellent on the market ? that might save me going mad again this time.

KETAMINE JUST SAY NEIGH

just go to 7/11, they have a spray in a small clear bottle with a pink nozzle, about 35baht, works a treat. or u can even get the same stuff in sachets which is like a cream and i think theyre about 5 baht but u only use them once. the sparys the way to go.

good luck

one that works very well and smells nice to the ladies is Avon Skin so soft lotion, it has a bug repellant in it. :10of10Score:

If you want to get one in the UK before you go I can recommend 'Jungle Formula' Insect repellent. You will find it in all Chemists, even the supermarket ones.

just go to 7/11, they have a spray in a small clear bottle with a pink nozzle, about 35baht, works a treat. or u can even get the same stuff in sachets which is like a cream and i think theyre about 5 baht but u only use them once. the sparys the way to go.

good luck

I take it that is for after you have been bitten ?

If you want to get one in the UK before you go I can recommend 'Jungle Formula' Insect repellent. You will find it in all Chemists, even the supermarket ones.

Cheers i will take a look.

KETAMINE JUST SAY NEIGH

combination of things work for me.

1. Citronella mosy repellent(7/11)its natural so you can put as much on as you like I avoid deet as it can be harmful

2. eat the local food if you can with lemongrass, garlic and chili in it.

3.depending on what hotel(the older hotels I find tend to have more mosquito's in the room) you are staying go to 7/11 buy insect killer spray everytime you go out spray your room. This saves you been supper when you are sleeping.

4. Thiamine(vitamin B1) 25mg to 50 mg three times per day is effective in reducing mosquito bites Thiamine takes about 2 weeks before the odor fully saturates the skin they dont like apparently but humans cannot smell it. So start this 2 weeks before you go

5.Drink VAT and G&T I know it has Quinine in it, which I am not sure repels mosy( helps malaria) but seems to certainly help me. ( or maybe its the alchol they dont like)

6.Also try and get a little tanned asap this also helps

If at the end of the day you are still getting bit badly I am afraid long trousers from dusk till dawn are a must. That's when they are at there worst. Avoid bright, floral colors. Khaki, beige, and olive have no particular attraction for mosquitoes.

Enjoy your holiday

Edited by T-T-T

I take it that is for after you have been bitten ?

no, u apply it before u go out

Drink a large bottle of Sang Som in the morning and one in the evening.

This might not keep the mosquitoes away, but at least you won’t feel their bite.

:GoldenSmile1:

Edited by Benny10

BEER: HELPING UGLY PEOPLE HAVE SEX SINCE 3000 B.C.

As TTT said, the citronella oil patch is the way to go --all natural.

Have always understood that sleeping in close proximity to a pig is extremely effective as the mozzies prefer it to you.

MY 99 CENT KINDLE: ... 1974 TRAVEL IN THAILAND, CAMBODIA AND SOUTH VIETNAM : http://www.amazon.co.uk/EXPLAINING-CAMBODIA-Part-Torn-Jagged-ebook/dp/B00L0LC8TO

all the "natural" repellents and things to eat etc. are good advise but their effectiveness very much depends on the make-up of everyone's body smell and the species of Mosquito. There are ~40+ species in any tropical country flying at different times and preferring different body parts and odours of their prey.

If you want to be sure to get no bites outdoors, the only option woudbe to regularly apply (depending on how much you sweat...) lotions containing DEET. Most common brand name in Europe is "Autan" but there are many others (think it's "Off" in the States.

Cheers

mo

• 1 month later...

This is no BS

Ambre Solaire Clear Pprotect Spray SPF15 200ML

http://www.superdrug.com/SPF-15+Below-/Ambre-Solaire-Clear-Pprotect-Spray-SPF15-200ML/invt/537810&bklist=

I put this stuff on so I wouldn't burn... would you believe that I didn't get a single bite. I'll be taking it again next year

I was in the Amazon Jungle last year. The hospital where I got my malaria pills recommended DEET. I got no bites there (got some later in Buenos Aires when I wasn't using DEET any more).

2. eat the local food if you can with lemongrass, garlic and chili in it.

6.Also try and get a little tanned asap this also helps

Those two are interesting. I live in the same Soi as Laamok and he gets bitten all the time and I very rarely do. I eat VERY spicy food every day and he doesnt. Also his legs look like milk bottles :D

No idea if this is factual but it could explain things.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

I go with DEET, its the only product/method that has absolutely worked for me. Buy a formula that is as close to 100% as you can get (you can usually find 99% Jungle or deep woods formulations). I use on my feet, ankles, and lower legs whenever I'm going to be out and about (as that is where they tend to eat me alive), usually lasts 4 hours or more. I've tried lots and lots of the DEET-free products that claim to be just as effective, and personally I find that they offer little to no protection whatsoever, still lots of bites when I tried them. I certainly wouldn't use a DEET product every day of my life, but if your going for a few weeks, best thing there is. Here's a tip: after you apply it, wash your hands before scratching your nuts, you'll thank me for that.

For longer term solutions, taking daily Vitamin B seems to reduce bite frequency for me over time. And after you spend more time on the ground there, the bites you do get tend to be less irritating. I guess your body adapts to it after a while.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enoughâ€

“If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?â€

Albert Einstein

This is no BS

Ambre Solaire Clear Pprotect Spray SPF15 200ML

http://www.superdrug.com/SPF-15+Below-/Ambre-Solaire-Clear-Pprotect-Spray-SPF15-200ML/invt/537810&bklist=

I put this stuff on so I wouldn't burn... would you believe that I didn't get a single bite. I'll be taking it again next year

maybe that was just coincidence

maybe that was just coincidence

Seriously big reg, i couldn't believe it either. I was not just putting it on in the day but at night as well and no bites.

• 2 months later...

Those two are interesting. I live in the same Soi as Laamok and he gets bitten all the time and I very rarely do. I eat VERY spicy food every day and he doesnt. Also his legs look like milk bottles :D

No idea if this is factual but it could explain things.

I found it Quite interesting as well. My thai girlfriend told me. Well I said "I keep getting bit" she said "thats because you smell like falang food and are white. I smell like thai food and are brown and hardly get bite.(and she never used any deet spray) You need do the same.Mosquito not like thai food. you not get bit" Been a fan of tom yum and others ever since

Differently made a difference

I'll tell you what - watch out if your eating at pattaya beer garden, I got absolutely chowed on by mosquitos there!!

I always bring "Deep Woods OFF" with me (buy in U. S.) as it has alot of DEET in it. I have noticed that the Thai mosquitos seem to go for your lower legs and feet. In the U. S., they go for your whole body. They have regular OFF with less DEET in it, but when I go to Thailand I prefer to overkill with the higher DEET. Better that than end up with Malaria or Dengue Fever. Good luck!

This range of products is the go

dont know if you have time to order online (maybe some camping type shops in the UK would stock it)

the best by far and in Aust we have some big mutha fu...er mossies

http://www.bushman-repellent.com/

from the website

"Having used Bushman Repellent for more than a decade I can state that your repellent is Absolutely, Positively The Best Repellent I have ever used. Bushman is essential gear for the tropics."

Dick Eussen - One of Australia's foremost photojournalists who has published thousands of articles in outdoors and nature based publications since 1957. He is also an experienced safari and angling guide to Australia's Tropical North.

Dr James Metcalfe, MD – Somerset, UK

I discovered Bushman quite by accident when I found myself in Oz without any repellent. I bought a couple of tubes of the stuff with sunscreen being a pale faced Pom. I am now finding myself ordering this stuff from the other side of the world for all my trips to fly biting countries, it works especially well for our own native midges and black flies.

I have lost count of the number of people I have recommended this stuff too; simply there is not another product on the market which I have found to be this effective

:24:

• 2 months later...

Consumer Reports, a non-profit organization, did a study on mosquito repellents. Nothing, including natural repellents, came close to those containing DEET. The more DEET, the more effective.

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

Bushman is the best I have ever used as well. Not finding mossies are a problem at the moment but it is also a sunscreen and the girls seem to like the smell of it.