Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Skype Webcam Availability in Internet Shops

Hawkeye

I have been using Skype with the unlimited monthly rate to talk to people in Thailand and it works well. As can be the case, phone conversations can be difficult due to language skills and it is hard to tell if certain points are understood. I find that webcam conversations are better to get full attention and comprehension. I have used MSN to talk to people in internet shops but have issues with making the connections and clarity is not always good and tends to be frustrating. I do use Skype webcam for other countries and it is generally quite good.

A few questions:

- Do most internet shops have Skype downloaded on their machines so people can log in and use Skype for calls and/or webcam calls? If you know of some in the South Pattaya please mention their name and address or the name of something near them for directions.

- Do internet shops help set up Skype registration for local customers?

- Have you tried Skype webcam conversations and do they work good in Pattaya?

- Are there any issues with set up and originating calls from Thailand?

- Have you had success with other options for webcam conversations from internet shops?

Thanks.

Hawkeye

Common sense is not very common.

As far as I know, I don't think any internet cafes in Patts have Skype on the computers. When there are about six computers in a close proximity, I don't suppose other people in the cafe would want to hear your conversation, and this may be the reason why.

I'm not 100% certain on this, so if anyone knows differently, I'm sure they will post.

Cheers

Tony

I've tried services in about 5 internet cafés in Pattaya and they all had Skype installed on their computers. I also used Skype there and it works the same like in every other part of the world. What do you mean, why would it work differently in Thailand?!

I've been in some realy remote places of the world that have interent cafés with VERY slow conections and use Windows'98 on their computers but even they had Skype installed. Everybody have Skype.

I've tried services in about 5 internet cafés in Pattaya and they all had Skype installed on their computers. I also used Skype there and it works the same like in every other part of the world. What do you mean, why would it work differently in Thailand?!

I've been in some realy remote places of the world that have interent cafés with VERY slow conections and use Windows'98 on their computers but even they had Skype installed. Everybody have Skype.

At the shop my friend uses she says they can't help her with Skype or possibly do not have. We use MSN with headphones and webcam but it is not very good. As you mention many places have Skype she probably should go to a different place and sign up.

Do you know if they can assist in opening an account for Thais of if you need to set up yourself and then just use their machines?

Hawkeye

Common sense is not very common.

Plenty of internet cafes in Pattaya have Skype - they often mention it on signs out front. Some internet cafes will help the girls with setting up accounts for msn/hotmail etc, others are run by people who don't have much a clue and probably don't know how to do it either.

Have you read the forum rules?

Please resize your photos!

Sitting here now in this bar for hours,

whilst strange men rent strange flowers,

I'll be picking up your petals in another few hours...

At the shop my friend uses she says they can't help her with Skype or possibly do not have. We use MSN with headphones and webcam but it is not very good. As you mention many places have Skype she probably should go to a different place and sign up.

Do you know if they can assist in opening an account for Thais of if you need to set up yourself and then just use their machines?

Hawkeye

Well, that's strange. Your friend just need to change internet café.

It usually works just like with your home pc, you go inside, they give you a place and computer, you sit down, click on Skype icon, log in with your user name and password and that's it. They don't care what do you do, if you are on Skype, msn or whatever. It can happend they don't have headphones that work but even that doesn't happens so often.

• 1 month later...

I have been using Skype with the unlimited monthly rate to talk to people in Thailand and it works well. As can be the case, phone conversations can be difficult due to language skills and it is hard to tell if certain points are understood. I find that webcam conversations are better to get full attention and comprehension. I have used MSN to talk to people in internet shops but have issues with making the connections and clarity is not always good and tends to be frustrating. I do use Skype webcam for other countries and it is generally quite good.

A few questions:

- Do most internet shops have Skype downloaded on their machines so people can log in and use Skype for calls and/or webcam calls? If you know of some in the South Pattaya please mention their name and address or the name of something near them for directions.

- Do internet shops help set up Skype registration for local customers?

- Have you tried Skype webcam conversations and do they work good in Pattaya?

- Are there any issues with set up and originating calls from Thailand?

- Have you had success with other options for webcam conversations from internet shops?

Thanks.

Hawkeye

Hi,

Pretty sure the internet shop next door to Flipper House (Soi 7) and TOPS supermarket which is on the main road just north of Soi 7 both have webcams and Skype.

Cheers,

FlipperSoi8

This is what I use on trips its a Sony Mylo Its a Skype phone, movie player, mp3 player,Video Camera,(You can shoot a video and upload straight to Utube or any site or server without a pc) 1.5 mega pixel Still Camera, Full Keyboard, Rss Reader, The Unit Itself has 1 gig internal memory but it also has a Sony memory stick slot. I have a 8gig stick in it so the unit has gig available more than enough for all the pics and videos you will shoot on a trip. has a full web browser with Java and flash.Im typing to you with it right now!!!!! It Looks kinda big Buts it Really lite weightall you need is a wifi connection and your good to go!!!!! Ive used these for 3 years now and it a great little all in one device When they first hit they where 299 U.S but I just Picked one up for 100 you can find them on ebay or craigslist

images.jpeg

images1.jpeg

images2.jpeg

images3.jpeg

Edited by jonerich

pabannerscaled.jpg

Never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can sleep.

(Murphy's Law Of Combat)

This is what I use on trips its a Sony Mylo Its a Skype phone, movie player, mp3 player,Video Camera,(You can shoot a video and upload straight to Utube or any site or server without a pc) 1.5 mega pixel Still Camera, Full Keyboard, Rss Reader, The Unit Itself has 1 gig internal memory but it also has a Sony memory stick slot. I have a 8gig stick in it so the unit has gig available more than enough for all the pics and videos you will shoot on a trip. has a full web browser with Java and flash.Im typing to you with it right now!!!!! It Looks kinda big Buts it Really lite weightall you need is a wifi connection and your good to go!!!!! Ive used these for 3 years now and it a great little all in one device When they first hit they where 299 U.S but I just Picked one up for 100 you can find them on ebay or craigslist

Just found this Review

Mylo com 2

pabannerscaled.jpg

Never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can sleep.

(Murphy's Law Of Combat)

• 4 weeks later...

I am totally impressed with Skype - high quality (approx 99% good transmission rate), no joining fee, very user friendly (just load the free software into your PC or Notebook), extremely low rates. The only upfront money outlay is for US$15.00 headphones.

Rates:

PC to PC(or Notebook) - Free

PC to Thai Cellphone - Unlimited monthly rate of US$5.99 per month ( this is on a per country rate)so add $5.99 for your Chinese gf and another $5.99 for your filo gf - damn these girls add up)

Cellphone to Cellphone - Unlimited monthly rate of US$5.99 per month PLUS local minutes charge

Features:

And the services are all first class and easy to use

Regular phonecalls

Video calls

Conference calls (not recommended for multiple gfs)

SMS using your full keyboard

Best Of All - select your phone number to give the appearance you are in the US or any other of 20 countries as they will assign you a personal phone number in your local US areacode, in another US areacode, or in over 20+ countries/city. I just offer to originate the phonecall as a "cost savings" gesture. Everyone raves how good the voice quality is. Skype is Highly Recommended.

Edited by Westsider

I Love This City

I have seen skype available everywhere, you can always use camfrog, if skype isn't available.