IGNORED

Anxiety attacks

ordinator

Please help! These anxiety attacks are wearing me down!

Throughout my month long travels through Thailand (only 10 days in Patts) I suffered a number of anxiety attacks that lasted anywhere between a few minutes to several hours. I thought they were a result of culture shock (my first time out of a Western country) and didn't expect them to persist throughout my holidays. What I expected even less were for them to follow me home!

Prior to visiting Thailand, the only lengthy anxiety attack I had ever experienced had been as a result of dehydration from over-exertion and not drinking enough water. I'm beginning to wonder if that may be my case here now that I reflect on how much beer and coffee I drank - especially in comparison to how much (or I should say how little) water I drank to offset the diuretic effect of my Liquid vices. Then there were the heat and sex sweat.

Even throughout the vacation itself I was never able to fully relax - there was a mild but constant 'hum' of anxiety that haunted me.

The most torturous part of it all was my performance in the sac. My johnson was up-and-down no matter who I was with. I don't want to believe that I suffer from ED at 28.

But right now my main concern (that's funny, I'm worried about fear) is this free floating fear that's got me staying up all-night, including now. I feel a bit relieved now that I have this all down, but I know that once my mind is absent again I'll end up spiking. The only real benefit to all of this is that I occupy my time with productive activities. The downside is that this panic feels worse than most physical pain I've endured in my life.

Off to the doctor tomorrow to get a Xanax prescription. I truly hope this is a hydration problem. Most of all because it'd be the cheapest, most natural cure imaginable.

I feel as though I missed out on a lot of what Pattaya, and Thailand in general, had to offer. My attitude and personality during the trip were far different (in a negative way) than they were before I had left. I was easy-going, happy and personable. Somewhere along the way I became unapproachable, miserable and reclusive (well, some of the time ... there were some good moments).

Has anyone here experienced something similar? I don't believe I'm suffering from withdrawal. For all that Thailand had to offer, I have plenty over here to keep me busy and cheerful - I just can't realize or appreciate that fact with all of this fear consuming me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I hope no one has to ever go through this, and if they do I wish you a speedy recovery.

After reading the replies to Big Yuley's post below I feel like an idiot. A much calmer, relieved idiot at that. In retrospect I can see just how little water I consumed during my holidays. Rarely did I pound back more than the 2 complimentary bottles of water, and probably even less than that since some of it went towards brushing my teeth. And then there were the morning teas or coffees. And the lunch time beer or two. Then a couple more in the afternoon, followed by a few more in the evening. I don't think I ever even hit 2L of water in a day.

Looking to my December in Europe I can now see how far back my foolishness extended. Over there it was probably even worse, with more alcohol and caffeine and even less water. I was all up and down, though I never did get hit by any anxiety attacks. Some bouts of depression got the best of me, though.

I wonder if it's all really that simple. I just need to drink more water and my quality of life will improve dramatically? Sounds too easy ... there's got to be a catch :GoldenSmile1:

I feel better already. The power of the mind! (and 3L of water)

From Wikipedia

Dehydration symptoms generally become noticeable after 2% of one's normal water volume has been lost. Initially, one experiences thirst and discomfort, possibly along with loss of appetite and dry skin. This can be followed by constipation. Athletes may suffer a loss of performance of up to 30%[5], and experience flushing, low endurance, rapid heart rates, elevated body temperatures, and rapid onset of fatigue.

Symptoms of mild dehydration include thirst, decreased urine volume, abnormally dark urine, unexplained tiredness, irritability, lack of tears when crying, headache, dry mouth, dizziness when standing due to orthostatic hypotension, and in some cases can cause Insomnia. Blood tests may show hyperalbuminemia.

Edited by soundblaster

From Wikipedia

Dehydration symptoms generally become noticeable after 2% of one's normal water volume has been lost. Initially, one experiences thirst and discomfort, possibly along with loss of appetite and dry skin. This can be followed by constipation. Athletes may suffer a loss of performance of up to 30%[5], and experience flushing, low endurance, rapid heart rates, elevated body temperatures, and rapid onset of fatigue.

Symptoms of mild dehydration include thirst, decreased urine volume, abnormally dark urine, unexplained tiredness, irritability, lack of tears when crying, headache, dry mouth, dizziness when standing due to orthostatic hypotension, and in some cases can cause insomnia. Blood tests may show hyperalbuminemia.

I exhibited all of the bolded symptoms. From what I've learned, thirst signals can be misinterpreted as hunger singles, especially with coffee and some alcoholic drinks.

I also didn't shed any tears when I left Thailand ... now I know why.

Live and learn.

sometimes its good to get out of bangkok and pattaya , a place like chang mai can be very serene and calming. i have also experienced anxiety and paranoia in thailand. sometime i think everytime i hear someone speaking thai , they are talking shit about me , which is probably true haha.

TBH, at the age of 28 I can't imagine hydration problems being the root of your perceived problems. Apart from your sexual performance you don't really mention much in the way of symptoms. If you are really concerned I suggest a visit to a qualified medical practitioner - you won't believe the misguided medical advice you get on these forums, although I suspect it is mostly well-intentioned.

on my way home at night i buy a few bottles of gatorade.Drink one at night and then one in the morning mixed with Soda water. You gotta drink water in the day, especially if you are not use to the heat.

I think I agree with slacker with getting real medical advice on the problem. I was diagnosed with panic attacks when I was in my early twentys and the symptoms you talk about and what you experience doesn't really resemble true panic attacks. It might get you a prescription for xanax in thailand for those symptoms but everything you describe is just is not what you experience during one. Panic attacks hit you at any moment when you are doing something ordinarily that you go about every day.

They are intense feelings of extreme danger to yourself like you are going to suffocate and die or have a heart attack and things like that. It's overwhelming to you. You will immediately have to get out of where ever you are when you have the attack, like pronto. I could be watching tv and all of a sudden it hits and I would immediately get my shoes on and leave and try to walk it off outside all the time you are shaking and sweating thinking your dying with a real physical problem or you start to think that you are losing your mind. They never last hours, either mostly 10 minutes to around a half an hour the longest. I was never depressed or feeling down or in a strange situation during that point in my life.

My attacks lasted about a year and generally there not able to track down the trigger for them. They just stopped for me. I don't think you have much to worry about as being a real panic attacks problem. If a person was to have real panic attacks in pattaya, as they are so intense you could litterly feel like jumping off a balcony in order to get away from the feeling you are experiencing when it hits you because you tend to connect the place you are in at that moment to be the cause.

Hope it goes well for you

Thanks for the helpful replies. I appreciate the support ... and quips :Grin_Jump1:

I visited a clinic yesterday and was given a small prescription for Ativan to get me through the next several days. The hope is that the symptoms will subside as my jet lag improves.

I wasn't quite sure what to call these episodes, so I went with "anxiety attack" since they don't fit the symptoms for panic attacks. Their onset has been quite sudden. The last two times I was immediately woken up from my sleep for no apparent reason feeling a sensation of unfocused fear. I was afraid, but I didn't know why. The only other symptoms I can describe are an intense Desire to move/pace/burn energy, plus a sudden switch to extroversion (I'm a typical introvert) where I feel the need to communicate with and be close to others. Intense or suspenseful stimuli (certain kinds of music or TV show) would cause the symptoms to spike. I'd develop a fear of water and be afraid to even take a sip. At times I'd notice my breathing had stopped - I was holding my breath.

Those panic attacks sound terrifying and like a milder version of what I've been experiencing. I'm glad to you got past them, Vancoater.

I'll be visiting my doctor next week to get a better handle on what's been happening with me.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Vancoater. I also suffered from panic attacks for around 12 months in my early 20's. I used to smoke weed and take LSD. At the time I'd never heard of panic attacks so I thought I was going insane. The feeing is so intense that you really do feel like topping yourself. The problem isn't just the attack it then becomes fear of having another attack which brings it on again.

The attack feels like an intense feeling of doom. It will occur for no reason at all. I've read that early man had such serious dangers in his life from predators that this panic at the right times would save his life. When you panic your thoughts race to around nine times the usual speed. Also that fear makes you want to get the hell out of the situation your in. That is what is so scary about panic attacks. You are not in any danger so the mind starts to ask it self whats wrong? Am I suffocating? Or am I having a heart attack?

After speaking with a doctor and stopping with the drugs I started to feel better. Although it took time and Valium I now am 99% free. THe only thing that stuck was a little bit of claustraphobia.

Maybe you are having mild panic attacks. Don't try and medicate yourself if you don't need to. One thing that used to help me after I found out what was happening to me was knowing that it won't kill me. The fact that many people live and survive with panic attacks help you to build the confidence to get better too.

I hope that your situation improves and you don't suffer like I did. No matter how bad it got though I'm still here and totally happy.

i had my first anxiety attack on the plane travelling from Bangkok to Sydney last August 30/09/09.. i thought i was going to have a heart attack, symptons like claustrophia, could not breath properly, tight chest,very hot, so i went and sat in the toilet for an hour and poured water over my head and there was better air flow in there,now i have a fear of flying. Hope i can get over this problem, but i dont think the kamagra and beers i had the day before helped..i really wanted to get of that plane that day. i have heard that breathing into a bag can help..

When on Holiday in Pattaya is the only time I have had a full blown panic attack one night, the normal thinking I was going to suffocate or heart attack!

I have since read up on the net and found out they are harmless but I know they are scary! I control myself now when ever I feel one coming on (allways in the night for some reason) with controlled breathing, while counting 1 elephant,2 elephant, 3 elephant, etc...slowly, it works for me, no bullshit!

Panic attacks are a serious issue and from your (ops post) you seem oblivious as to why your getting them.

Dehydration, i realy don't think so. Panic attacks are mental health related.

I don't know you personnally, but i'd guess your anxious state is because you simply can't relax because something is fundamentally bugging you out. Whilst in Thailand it could be the fact your in a strange country, with no language and feelings of helplessness (subconciously), or something else. I can not guess your issues in your life but somethings in there in your mind causing the fear.

This is mental health stuff, and hence i would seek help in your home country. But this must be treated, panic attacks and constant depression lead to nervous breakdowns if untreated and a serious mental illness could lead you to months out of the gameplan.

You mention sleeping problems. Are you laying in bed but thoughts keep popping into your head no matter how hard you try?

Sleep deprevation is a major form of torture. I would step on this immediatly and beg for a prescription of sleeping pills for at least a week (much more and you'll have withdrawel problems depending on what you take). Sleep deprevation is the first attack against your well being and can simply turn you 'mental'. Thats why it's a form of torture.

In England, you'd see your GP, then get referred to the psychiatrist and go on a course of drugs or counselling.

From my personnal experience, go find the root of the problem and don't dance around it. I wish you all the best in this distressing moment of your life.

Edited by moon71

ภรรยาไทยต้องà¸à¸²à¸£

i feel your pain..i had what a can only be described as a panic attack in samui...it was horrible..was minutes away from going the the hospital...i managed to tell myself though that i was over reacting ...i just laid on the bed drunk loads of water and tried to go to sleep...i really struggled and felt like shit for a few hours...next day felt toaylly fine...

this is only 2nd time its ever happened to me and both times during a period of heavy drinking..

do you drink a lot or take drugs? it could be a major factor...

hope you pull through !!!!

peace

LIVE THE DREAM !!