IGNORED

Pattaya Bay resort v Areca Lodge

stuwilson

Anyone had any experience with these and what would be best??? Look like approximately the same money. Any comments would be great.

I love the location for Areca. Also good pools. Haven't been in the new building, but the middle one had rather dated furnishings. Also staff can't keep their mouths shut.
Probably wouldn't return.

Didn't like the looks of the location for PBR.

There are plenty of reviews of both hotels on this Forum. Each hotel has its fans.

For me, it's the Pattaya Bay Resort every time as it's a true monger's hotel. No extra guest charges (Areca charge for more than 1 guest), no silly age rules (Areca do not allow overnight guests aged below 20), no gossipy front desk staff (plenty of stories of Areca staff doing this) and no evil looks from other 'family' residents. PBR has free wi-fi and internet in reception, good location (5 mins to 2nd Rd and free 24-hour tuktuk service), good restaurant and Dr Kim who has a great taste in girlfriends.

stayed at both for me pattaya bay resort works out much cheaper as i stay for a month, you wont be disappointed at either one.

i have stayed at both and enjoyed my stay at both hotels.i would go for pbr for free wifi and good low season price.999bht plus stay 7 nights get 1 night free.

• 3 years later...

i have stayed at both and enjoyed my stay at both hotels.i would go for pbr for free wifi and good low season price.999bht plus stay 7 nights get 1 night free.

Hi Tommy!

Any idea if the "stay 7 nights get 1 night free." promotion/deal is being currently offered?

this "no guests under 20"-rule is a pain in the ass at Areca Lodge.

came home with a girl who told me she is 20, at reception her id shows she is 19.

not a chance! so off we went, a real turndown late at night :-(

this "no guests under 20"-rule is a pain in the ass at areca lodge.

came home with a girl who told me she is 20, at reception her id shows she is 19.

not a chance! so off we went, a real turndown late at night :-(

A good reason to never stay at Areca Lodge!

• 2 weeks later...

Havent stayed in Areca Lodge but stayed last time at Pattaya Bay Resort and liked the stay. My stay included breakfast and the thai meny was quite nice. The personell was friendly and had no issues whatso ever. Wifi was free and worked well. Was lazy and used the hotel taxi to get to airport (1500 bath) could get cheeper but had to leave at 6am.

stayed at both for me Pattaya Bay Resort works out much cheaper as i stay for a month, you wont be disappointed at either one.

have you seen the new rates - they have increased prices by almost 30% for monthly rates

I always stayed at PBR but not anymore ...

have you seen the new rates - they have increased prices by almost 30% for monthly rates

I always stayed at Pattaya Bay Resort but not anymore ...

What are the new rates?  As far as I was aware the rates are currently being discounted by 15% due to the construction work, but otherwise are unchanged.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know if construction noise  next to Areca Lodge is considered worth the rates they are charging , or liveable.

Thinking of staying in August.

Regards Feenzy.

Not worried about the under 20 year old rule.

i have stayed in both,areca lodge has much better b/fast(buffet style)and large pool and good location with no bar noise,pattaya bay is also good location,with friendly reception staff,b/fast not so good(not buffet)dining staff not very friendly but nice but small rooftop pool and again is in good location no bar noise,but construction work going on,i just asked for quiet side of hotel,free wi fi at both hotels,both g/f friendly,hope this helps

I have only stayed at the PBR once. I liked it very much. Great location. LK isn't too far away and 2nd road is a free tuk tuk away. Breakfast needs improvement, but nobody is perfect. I would go stay at Areca just to compare, but last I looked it was more expensive.

I stay at both of these places regularly....

Areca is a little more expensive.. a little nicer... but seems like lots of familys tend to stay there...

One of the big downsides to Areca is their crappy wi-fi.....

I prefer Pattaya Bay Resort but they are getting a little a little too greedy....

For instance... last year they started their low season rates on May 1... .

This year they start low season on June 1.....

They probably won't be getting my business this May :)

We're not here for a long time

Just a good time !

Archived