IGNORED

Aranyaprathet

Braveheart

Aranyaprathet is a small town in Eastern Thailand, on the border with Cambodia.

Get In

For reaching Aranyaprathet from the Cambodian side, consult the Poipet article. If entering Thailand, most travellers can pass without a hitch, but visas on arrival are not available for those nationalities that need them. The border crossing opens at 07:00 and closes at 20:00 (there's no time difference between Cambodia and Thailand).

By Bus

From the Thailand side, most visitors opt for buses which leave every 30-60 minutes from Bangkok's Northern Bus Terminal (Moh Chit). First class buses take 4 to 5 hours and cost 193 baht. Second class buses cost less but take longer. Tourist buses to Cambodia run directly from Khao San Road, but are more expensive and less comfortable than government services.

By Train

Four trains a day connect Aranyaprathet with Bangkok's Hualamphong Train Station. A morning train departs Hualamphong at 05:55 and arrives at 11:20 (in the opposite direction 06:40 & 11:45); an afternoon train departs Hualamphong at 13:05 and arrives at 18:05 (in the opposite direction 13:40 & 19:05). The fare is 48 baht.

Get Around

Tuk-tuks between the bus terminal and the border, 6 km away, cost 50-60 baht.

See & Do

Aranyaprathet has no attractions as such.

Eat & Drink

The night market offers the usual range of Thai eats. Little English to be found, but spot something that looks good and point.

Sleep

Aran Garden 2 hotel. 230 baht for fan rooms with squat toilets, 370 baht for air-con and a Western loo.

Extracted from Wikipedia: Aranyaprathet

• 7 months later...

I was just there for the first time, and disliked it

it's a disgusting little border town not worthy of mention, unless you like gambling at the border crossings

the Cambo folk are constantly pushing wheelbarrows full of goods to LOS from Cambo and then empty carts back

the Cambo people I see here seem even more impoverished than the ones I saw at the Juntaburi-Cambo border

the beggars are more aggressive then the taunts in Patpong

and I say my first ever Leper in this little town, nearly lost my lunch (err, I hadn't eaten yet, so safe)

• 1 month later...

Attractions:

I would add that there are 2 Khmer temples within easy reach of Aranyaprathet. One is about 9 Km the other about 22 km to the north on the road to Buriram. Hourly third class bus services run there plus the 2nd class Chantaburi-Buriram line as well.

If you want to escape Poi Pet and have some time, here is the alternative:

Get a lift to Sisophon or stay in Sisophon for the night instead of going to PoiPet. Getting out of Poipet to Sisophon is a headache. The local transport mafia threatens any taxi driver that accepts you without paying inflated prices. I ended up paying 200 Baht for a half-seat in a cap 7 passengers total....

In Sisophon you have some half-decent hotels and guest houses. For night hawks there is a massage parlor and a Cambodian red light district nearby. The latter is for the brave ones among us.

The real nice thing about Sisopon lies 50 km north, the Bantey CHmar temple. The road is in excellent shape. You can hire a motorbike taxi and make it in 2 hrs. So you can spent the day going to banteay chmar and still make it to Aranyaprathet to take the afternoon busses.

THE LAST BUS OUT OF ARAN is around 6 pm. After there is just a 7.15 pm service to chantaburi which can take you to Sa Keow. Between midnite and 1 AM the Mukdahan - Pattaya bus is available.

The Aran hotel was fully adequate. Some dim sum nearby nice.

• 5 months later...
Attractions:

I would add that there are 2 Khmer temples within easy reach of Aranyaprathet. One is about 9 Km the other about 22 km to the north on the road to Buriram. Hourly third class bus services run there plus the 2nd class Chantaburi-Buriram line as well.

If you want to escape Poi Pet and have some time, here is the alternative:

Get a lift to Sisophon or stay in Sisophon for the night instead of going to PoiPet. Getting out of Poipet to Sisophon is a headache. The local transport mafia threatens any taxi driver that accepts you without paying inflated prices. I ended up paying 200 Baht for a half-seat in a cap 7 passengers total....

In Sisophon you have some half-decent hotels and guest houses. For night hawks there is a massage parlor and a Cambodian red light district nearby. The latter is for the brave ones among us.

The real nice thing about Sisopon lies 50 km north, the Bantey CHmar temple. The road is in excellent shape. You can hire a motorbike taxi and make it in 2 hrs. So you can spent the day going to banteay chmar and still make it to Aranyaprathet to take the afternoon busses.

THE LAST BUS OUT OF ARAN is around 6 pm. After there is just a 7.15 pm service to chantaburi which can take you to Sa Keow. Between midnite and 1 AM the Mukdahan - Pattaya bus is available.

The Aran hotel was fully adequate. Some dim sum nearby nice.

Hi Guys, am new to forum but has anyone tried the Indo china hotel on the road to Buri ram, i,ve stayed there twice now and its a lovely hotel, 1200 baht a night, great restaurant and pool. I overnight here on my way to g/f,s home at Koh Klan about 30k up the road to TaPraya. Have also caught the bus from here to Mukdahan to cross to Laos.Am off to Pattaya on April 11th. Maybe see some of you around, i stay at Sabai lodge in Soi2.

Andyuk.

• 1 month later...

There is a nice hotel there for 1000 baht per night. I don't remember the name of it. You get a good western breakfast for two. I went there with a BG who is from there so it was a cool experience but I sure wouldn't go there by myself.

"This little incident on the aeroplane throws into relief my single status, that at times leaves a gloomy space of frigid loneliness and a craving for intimacy, a hollow within that echoes a quiet desperation when in the silence of those cold grey London nights and which I felt all the more keenly in some of those moments in LOS when a lack of true intimacy is apparent in the financially fuelled sexual congresses of the P4P scene. However, these are only in moments of weakness and self pity and would not impel me to find sustenance in a need fulfilling relationship ……….Hell!!! If I were to be given a choice, I’ll take the often pseudo short-term romance of the P4P scene over the risk of the insidious death of marriage"

-Alleycat

MySpace Countdown Clocks

I don't like this border town..Too Hot Too dirty and miles of 2nd hand goods most or at least alot of it should be thrown away,,Not impressed for the gas cost it took be to go there..Dont think I bought a single item other then water..

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

• 3 years later...

Before i have thailady who lived near aranyaprathet.

She say best hotel in city is aranmermaid

It is located very near busstation.

here is picture of hotel(room cost about 900-1000baht)

IM000229.jpg

Edited by mikkol76

Here is also a picture of center of the city. Streets look littlebitt different from pattaya.

I think the city has not nightlife to much.

IM000231.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

The best hotels are the Mermaid and the IndoChina both are a good value westerners.(except for Brits that are too cheap to pay for air conditioning) Not really the place for nightlife but it's home. :)

• 3 months later...

Can any nightlife be found here? Pub?

Surely girls can be found somewhere?

I have to go there soon I do not want to have to take my own with me.... :GoldenSmile1:

I will keep looking here in the hope that maybe some tips may be thrown my way..

• 3 months later...

Mapraow,

Sorry to telol you mate unless you have already found out yourself there is absolutely nothing here in regards to mongering. The missus owns a house just outside of the town. The lights go out at around 6ish and from there on in there is absolutely nothing to do.

Ive heard a rumour that one of the hotels has a dico of sorts, so you may be able to get some attention there if you are desperate.

There is a huge market where you can hire golf buggies to shop in that sells loads of cheap clothes and snide watches.

I have stayed at the Market hotel in the past marketmotelatt.gifgmail.com

• 1 month later...

Stayed in a hotel there and asked the reception for a lady...

One quietly arrived slim nice white skinned......but totally NFI... However an interesting exercise.

Think it was a freelancer could not stop answering the phone lol