Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Goose's Fish & Chips 2nd Road

blueboy0510

Fish processors always add the maximum amount of water in the freezing process and it's important to thaw it properly and get rid of it. Even so, I get the impression that Dory retains a lot of water and it often seems mushy/wet to me.

check the label for the ingredient hvp ( hydrolized vegetable protien ) or they sometimes label it as " soy "

either way they use this to make the fish absorb more water to lower their costs . it makes the fish taste bland and if you batter it it can make for a soggy meal :(

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

check the label for the ingredient hvp ( hydrolized vegetable protien ) or they sometimes label it as " soy "

either way they use this to make the fish absorb more water to lower their costs . it makes the fish taste bland and if you batter it it can make for a soggy meal :(

I'm sure you're right for processed food - I remember they used it in sausages bacon and loads of things - but I'm not sure how they would incorporate it in a raw fish fillet?

I think the most successful way of selling water as food (other than in processed and pre-cooked etc) used to be frozen prawns, but that was done by glazing them with water during the freezing process. I don't know if they do that with fish.

However, I used to buy imported frozen fish from Makro ( same as Jolly Friar used to buy) and I bought Cod, Halibut and Dory.

The Cod and Halibut had some run off at thawing of course, but were excellent.

Even after the run off from thawing, the Dory needed wringing out or pressing between pieces of kitchen towel and somehow it was still soggy and tasteless.

Dory is pretty 'flat' and doesn't take much thawing. I'm pretty sure a lot of these restaurants are cooking it from frozen, which will obviously exacerbate the problem of sogginess.

I have not tried fish and chips in Pattaya because i was too busy trying food that i don't often get in England. have heard the Jolly friar is really good might try it next week.

I have tried Goose's fish and chips and thought that it was OK

But I prefer the fish and chips at my favourite bar Palmers

But I prefer the fish and chips at my favourite bar Palmers

I went once.

It's OK if you're OK with Dory.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried it twice. First time great fish and chips. Second time Worm in the salad, fish portion was much smaller, chips were stale and limp. Voted with my feet will not be back.

May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

I have not tried fish and chips in Pattaya because i was too busy trying food that i don't often get in England. have heard the Jolly friar is really good might try it next week.

I'm just back home from having lunch in the Jolly Friar. Also had Fish & Chips there last week. Both times the fish is very much undercooked, the batter is lovely and golden and crispy on the outside, as it should be, but inside is still wet batter and the fish is kinda wet and underdone. So whoever the owner is I suggest you check your Thai cook and see what is going wrong. If this happened back in Australia I would send it back and complain but I hate doing that in Thailand as it always becomes a racial issue - the Farang Vs the Thais. They never refer to you as "the customer" it's always "the farang"

• 4 weeks later...

Back from Goose's Fish & Chips 2nd Road.

We were 2, a foreigner and a Thai, both fluent in Thai.

We choose to try the popular "250g. Dory Fish with french fries and peans" @ 179THB + Pepsi @ 40THB = 219THB/person.

After 10 minutes, we both received a big plate full of tasty food. Well accompagned by a slide of bread with butter and white sauce.

We really enjoyed it.

The price is "normal" according to the location, the food, and the nice "English restaurant" quiet ambiance.

P.

I walked past the other day and saw that offer so I think I'll try it myself soon, seems like a great offer, thanks for the info.

Been there once and wasn´t impressed at all. Chips were very good but the fish was not good at all - not too much fish but a lot of batter soiled in grease. I am not going to return. Might try the new(er) one - Jolly Friar - in soi Lengkee next time.

Everyone has the right to my opinion

• 4 weeks later...

Goose's does score highly for using real potatoes for its chips ! Forozen just doesn't cut it ! Smart & well-fitted-out, but the 2nd-Road location is reflected in the prices IMO. Would definitely eat there again, though.

Jolly Friar is the best I've found so-far !

I'm just back home from having lunch in the Jolly Friar. Also had Fish & Chips there last week. Both times the fish is very much undercooked, the batter is lovely and golden and crispy on the outside, as it should be, but inside is still wet batter and the fish is kinda wet and underdone. So whoever the owner is I suggest you check your Thai cook and see what is going wrong. If this happened back in Australia I would send it back and complain but I hate doing that in Thailand as it always becomes a racial issue - the Farang Vs the Thais. They never refer to you as "the customer" it's always "the farang"

Did you mean this to be in the Jolly Friar thread or did you mean Goose's or were you just trying to cheer Goose up?

Because of this thread I had the lunch special at Gooses last week and was sadly disappointed, wet sloppy fish that lacked any firmness, terrible chips - I far prefer the fries at Macs - the mushy peas were OK. IMO Jolly Friar is better than Gooses and JF has room for lots of improvement.

For now I've given up on fish & chips in Pattaya. In 2 weeks time I'll be in Perth Australia and I'll have a really top fish & chip meal there. The lunch special at Swish & Chips in Mt. Lawley (which won the award for the best fish & chips in the state a couple of years back) costs about the same as Gooses lunch special.

• 5 weeks later...

I posted the thread below under Jolly Friar.

THREAD: Recently was in Pattaya and saw the advert on TV one night for Goose Fish and Chips on Pattaya 2nd Road. Advert looked good so I grabbed the TG out of bed, dressed her and we went down to Goose about 8.30pm

Walked in to Goose and immediately said to myself, this must be a sister shop to Jolly Friar, because the décor is similar, so told myself the food will be on par with JF. Well, I was sadly disappointed!!!

I ordered the Cod and Chips. The Chip wedges were absolute shit, overdone, dark and soggy. Nothing crisp about them. Peas were hard, tart ere sauce lacked any taste, and the Cod in batter was passable. Presentation overall was shit, not to mention it took over 30 min. Behind me was a table of 3 Brits (they ordered the same as me pretty much at the same time. I saw the women’s eyes roll back and he facial expression when their dished hit he table.

10 minutes into eating mine I pushed the plate back and paid the bill. As I paid mine the Brits were about to do the same, plates half finished.

Next day I went to Jolly Friar, 15-20 minutes to get the food (good), chip wedges were a bright crispy yellow (great), peas soft (properly cooked) and Cod soft batter excellent, all round a great meal.

If as I suspect Goose is a sister of Jolly Friar, then Goose Management has F….d up and not ensured the same high standard of Staff, and certainly got the wrong Cook. Not to mention the waiters didn’t have enough sense, to not serve it the way it looked.

I will stick with Jolly Friar any day, and as for the Goose, if they keep serving that shit, they won’t get repeat business.

Have scrubbed the Goose Restaurant of my list for good

Walked in to Goose and immediately said to myself, this must be a sister shop to Jolly Friar, because the décor is similar, so told myself the food will be on par with JF. Well, I was sadly disappointed!!!

Have scrubbed the Goose Restaurant of my list for good

AFAIK there is no connection between the two, although they are both very smart looking places.

Goose's started off OK and is in a better position. A tad expensive perhaps and soon lost favour with most expats as it quickly went off the boil.

JF also drifted off slightly for a while, but recently has been well and truly 'back at the races'.

I would need a lot of persuading before I'd try Goose's again after 3 disappointments in a row.

The guy seems to have spent a lot on the place and started off with a decent game plan, but he doesn't seem to have bothered much since.

Maybe he found 'other fish to fry'. rolleyes.gif

AFAIK there is no connection between the two, although they are both very smart looking places.

Goose's started off OK and is in a better position. A tad expensive perhaps and soon lost favour with most expats as it quickly went off the boil.

JF also drifted off slightly for a while, but recently has been well and truly 'back at the races'.

I would need a lot of persuading before I'd try Goose's again after 3 disappointments in a row.

The guy seems to have spent a lot on the place and started off with a decent game plan, but he doesn't seem to have bothered much since.

Maybe he found 'other fish to fry'. rolleyes.gif

It was the decor that made me think there might be a connection betwen the two places and so I thought I would get a good meal, having been to JF a few times and been very happy on each occassion.

I am not as forgiving as you, one disappointment and I will eat elsewhere from now on.

It was the decor that made me think there might be a connection betwen the two places and so I thought I would get a good meal, having been to JF a few times and been very happy on each occassion.

I am not as forgiving as you, one disappointment and I will eat elsewhere from now on.

It was 3 times spread over getting on for 3 years, because I was told it was OK now - different horses perhaps.

Anyway, I went to JF again today and again it was tip top - Large Cod, Small Chips & Mushy Peas + Fanta = 305 Baht.

I don't feel the need to even try anywhere else if they can keep that standard up.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that Jolly Frier is better than Gooses and more reasonably priced however I have found a gem of a place in Khao Noi where they do a great Fish and Chips and cheaper!

Its khao Noi Restaurant and Bar just further up past the Beer and Coffee bar.

Give it a try then even do take away but dont know the number.

• 9 months later...

I tried gooses but I did not like it.will never go there.fish & chips at pig's whistle was very good.Will try jolly frier in my next trip

• 2 weeks later...

We have been a few times. We like ... Fish (I'm thinking the Cod), chips and mushy peas - decent meal, tasty enough. I like the pork sausage sandwich. I really like the bread when it is super soft and fresh, sometimes its better than other days.

Anyway, I went to JF again today and again it was tip top - Large Cod, Small Chips & Mushy Peas + Fanta = 305 Baht.

I don't feel the need to even try anywhere else if they can keep that standard up.

you could post that in the Jolly friar thread instead of winding me up edge :)

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/78978-jolly-friar/page__st__100

Life begins at 40 ...

you could post that in the Jolly friar thread instead of winding me up edge :)

http://www.pattaya-a...r/page__st__100

:LOL2: were you even there in September 2011?

Your price has gone up since then, but to be fair, Goose's is doing all it can to keep you in the top spot.

The rest is up to you. :Think1:

I ate here and forgot to do a review !

I was very impressed.. I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was.

Apparently when I was there -April 2012 it had just had a major refurb.

I listened in as the owner explained the different fish available to an American customer, he talked about the fish differences in fasinating detail, and said what was good at the moment.

Same accross as very honest, knowlegdeable and proud.

Well worth a try

The battered dory at the jf is like eating battered snot

Archived