IGNORED

Koh Samui

Braveheart

First visit to Samui coming up in July.

I am planning my hotel visit, and ideally would prefer to stay close to the bars in Chaweng. Also, like to go to the massage places located in the Chaweng area. This would be daytime activity.

Not wanting to go cheap on this trip, so am looking at some luxury villas that have own private pool. I don't like getting robbed by mototaxis, that charge 100 baht just for short distance. So, trying to choose a nice place close to the action. I like to go drinking in bars and late at night simply will not drive a rental scooter. Might rent one for the day, but never drink and drive myself.

I understand the ride from over from Bopud to Chaweng is 15 minutes. If the mototaxis are exorbitant, I would not want to stay in Bopud. Not sure if it is possible to get taxi late night/early morning from the disco/bar area of Chaweng over to Bopud, or south to Lamai

Key Star hotel - www.newstarresort.com - 14,700 Baht  with private pool

Sareeya Villas Suites - www.sareeya.com 15,000 Baht for their Pool Villa

Tango Luxe hotel - www.tangoluxe.com - much cheaper, but in Bopud (Plai Laem beach). their website says 15 minutes to Chaweng. Their Sala Suite is 7500baht until July 15th, then High season rates after that 9500Baht/night.

I ride on mototaxis several times a day while in Pattaya. Never a problem. Would not mind it in Samui if it is not going to be a major issue.

Of the first two hotels, Key Star or Sareeya Villas Suites - which is closer to Chaweng?

Any one have certain knowledge on these hotels, or have any recommendations for my trip?

TGOEA

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

The best you have to do in samui is to book your hotel in a quiet area like Choeng Mon , Mae nam or West Bophut and to rent a car or a motorbike to go to the busy areas ( Chaweng or Lamai ) ? the prices of the taxis are awful as they don't want to use their meter and the price for a short journey is more than the 100 THB you were told ( 300 - 400 THB during the day from Bophut to Chaweng ... more during the night ) As the price for a scooter is 200 THB / day you'll save a big amount of money  . driving a scooter in Samui is easy especially if you drive safely and you don't drink too much ( Be careful there is no insurance )

I spent 5 days in Tango Luxe in 2014 . This is really a bargain regarding the price .

The pros : Large and modern suites with high level equipment ( the resort is recent ) nice and well maintained sala and pool ( small but OK ) and amazing breakfast delivered directly to you sala at the time you choose . the pool of the resort is nice with ocean view and good pool bar

The cons : You can slightly hear the noise of the airplane as the airport is not very far ( did not disturb me ) . The spa is not fantastic , You can"t swim ine the ocean because of the rocks

NB : Tango is not really in Bophut but near Big Buddah  . I would say it is the west part of Choeng Mon and you can reach north Chaweng in 10-15 minutes

I 'have never been to the two other resorts and I don't know Sareeya . maybe you are talking about Sarreraya which is fantastic and in the North of chaweng ( expensive although !! )

The New Star beach resort is nice too ( South chaweng ) Seems to be a god option too .

Enjoy .. !!

PS please excuse my awfull english

Chris, This is a very big help. Crazy prices for these moto mafiosos. Anyway I can get used to drinking less and just taking it easy in tbe bars and then have the freedom from those rascals. Did you get to any massage places? Lamai has more of the "special" massage places than Chaweng?

TGOEA

Chris, This is a very big help. Crazy prices for these moto mafiosos. Anyway I can get used to drinking less and just taking it easy in tbe bars and then have the freedom from those rascals. Did you get to any massage places? Lamai has more of the "special" massage places than Chaweng?

You have many massage places every where .

if you want a special massage you have several places to go :

- The most organised massage place is in chaweng and is called Nida massages but it is not my favorite . You can find beautiful ladies and get a one hour all inclusive for 1500 THB . However the ladies are rather starfish .OK if you are in a hurry

- The best special massage places  you can find are in South Chaweng . when you go from north chaweng to south chaweng , at the very end of the south beach the road joins ring road ( the main road all around the island ) Just before the crossraod you have several special massage places on the left . To be more precise it is between Rino italian restaurant and the ring road . In the same area you have a nice massage place just before the Bamboo bar in South Samui ( it is a very small one between the Bamboo and a clothes shop ) ask for Tiffany she's incredible ( 1300 THB massage included )

- You have also nices places in the area of the new shopping center called Central Festival . In fact it is rather simple, if the girl sream "massageeeeeeeeeeeeee " when you are in front of the place , it means that this a special massage place

- There are also special massage places in the main street in Lamai , but it is busy till the end of the afternoon , not before . Nice experiences too .

At your disposal for further informations ...

What can I say? Thanks AGAIN!!!

I found the Ko Samui expert

TGOEA

IF you want to party, and stay in the best hotel in the party district (Chaweng). Then there is only one option. Stay at Arkbar. It will cost around 2000 baht a night, has 3 pools, Ibiza style party everyday, and then a 100m walk to green mango street at night.

I will be staying there this summer for about my tenth time.

I have also stayed a bit further away when arkbar is full and it sucks. Taxis are a ripoff, and theres nothing around. Arkbar is surrounded by about 100 restaurants and bars, and pharmacies, 7-11s, etc.

IF you want to party, and stay in the best hotel in the party district (Chaweng). Then there is only one option. Stay at Arkbar. It will cost around 2000 baht a night, has 3 pools, Ibiza style party everyday, and then a 100m walk to green mango street at night.

I will be staying there this summer for about my tenth time.

I have also stayed a bit further away when arkbar is full and it sucks. Taxis are a ripoff, and theres nothing around. Arkbar is surrounded by about 100 restaurants and bars, and pharmacies, 7-11s, etc.

I agree .Arkbar is fine .However it is very busy and very noisy even during the day because of the planes . 

I agree .Arkbar is fine .However it is very busy and very noisy even during the day because of the planes . 

I do not find it noisy at night, the party at arkbar slows down around 7-8pm, and is completely dead by 11 or so as everyone heads to green mango. The planes is an issue I agree. Although I find the planes that fly overhead at very low altitude as they approach Samui airport are barely heard as arkbar has refurbished all their rooms and windows. I have stayed across the street at a lesser hotel called Lek City and it sounds like a plane is literaly going to crash into you every 20 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...

Going to Samui for 1st time and staying at ark bar. End of August. Really looking forward to it

Going to Samui for 1st time and staying at ark bar. End of August. Really looking forward to it

RIght on, what dates. I am there until the 22nd.

I arrive around 1700 on the 29th. Just found out that's the night of full moon party. So gonna check in Sri bar then take a speedboat the party on the island

Maybe you can pm me some tips since you will be a veteran

I arrive around 1700 on the 29th. Just found out that's the night of full moon party. So gonna check in Sri bar then take a speedboat the party on the island

Not much to know here. Party all day every day at ark bar....pre drink at ark bar til around 7-8pm....head to green mango road for henry africas or our bar to pre drink til 11 or so...head to lush bar, just opposite the russian galaxy....at about 1230 head to green mango club...and if you are still awake...head to sound club at 3am til the sun rises....all of this is within 100m of each other.

Haha. Sounds like the life. So happy that I'm staying at ark bar. I'm traveling solo. So hope to meet some good peeps. Do you make it to lanai. Or the scene in chaweng, all you need?

Haha. Sounds like the life. So happy that I'm staying at ark bar. I'm traveling solo. So hope to meet some good peeps. Do you make it to lanai. Or the scene in chaweng, all you need?

I've never gone to Lamai...my friend Im going with this time mentioned getting Scooters and checking it out, so I might as well since I've been there over 5 times and have never ventured out that way. It is supposed to have a good set up as well and a hippie laid back bar called the ROCK BAR...the crowd in Lamai is supposed to be more homos and couples, a family scene.

Chaweng is great, you will meet people easily at ark bar during the day in the pool. I would avoid the early evening ark bar, where they change the beach into a lounge setting by pushing beach chairs together and putting makeshift lantern or light posts on the beach, as its just a harder scene to socialize within since everyone is sitting down. I'd use this time to nap, then wake up and go walk back down to the pool, some nights the restaurant area is happening and if it is hang out, if it isn't head to green mango street and go to henry africas or our bar.

• 1 month later...

most of people says taht better than maldives. I have never been there but when I look up the pics, think that they are right..

"Good guys go to heaven, bad guys go to Pattaya"

• 1 month later...

Whats the prices like in Chaweng theese days ? for example in Arkbar, the beerbars, green mango.and so on...

Havn´t been there in 10years, maybe it´s time to check it out during the upcoming winter!!

And what about price of pussy ?!!! have a feeling it´s abit more pricy than Pattaya-freelancers and beerbars but cheaper than pattaya-gogo´s....correct ?

Whats the prices like in Chaweng theese days ? for example in Arkbar, the beerbars, green mango.and so on...

Havn´t been there in 10years, maybe it´s time to check it out during the upcoming winter!!

And what about price of pussy ?!!! have a feeling it´s abit more pricy than Pattaya-freelancers and beerbars but cheaper than pattaya-gogo´s....correct ?

The price has really gone up in the past few years...

1st the flight, it will cost you a minimum 8000baht round trip from BKK, and thats if you book a head of time, most likely you are going to pay closer to 10-12,000.

2...Ark bar used to cost around 1500-1700 baht a night, now you are looking at around 2200 minimum no matter the season, but you can still get cheap hotels very close by for 700ish, and walk to ark bar and pay their 200 baht a day fee if you want to use the pool. With this you will get one cocktail.

3...Beer on green mango street is 60-70baht for a chang, all other beers are over 100. Buckets are 150ish for samsung.

4. Girls are about 1500 for LT,(+ bar fine which is 4-600), 500 for a quick bj from a free lancer, but the girls are not as good looking as pattaya, if you see a good looking girl you should grab her early. Most of them are 30ish and have the baby stomach.

Only place in Thailand I havent been,will definitely go next year.

It used to be my fav. It still might be but lately I have been getting the feeling that I am getting a tad old (35) for it. Also the Arkbar daytime seen isn't quite what it used to be unless you are there during xmas.

Samui is still the best place in Thailand if you want to meet tourist girls.

FYI, a young German woman was killed by a box jellyfish in the waters around Samui this week, the third such fatality in the last 14 months.

Much prefer Koh Chang, but they have them too.

http://thaiboxjellyfish.blogspot.com/

Retired

FYI, a young German woman was killed by a box jellyfish in the waters around Samui this week, the third such fatality in the last 14 months.

Much prefer Koh Chang, but they have them too.

http://thaiboxjellyfish.blogspot.com/

crazy, I know a girl died of the same thing on Koh Phangan in August.

• 2 months later...

How's high season looking in Samui now? Whats it like compared to Patong at the moment? Planning trip for end of high season... I usually just wing it week by week, and if I feel like a change, bounce to another province.

Best time to go Samui is in January/February as it is still raining in December.

Samui is a great destination for vacation. For BB you have to go to Soi reggae in Chaweng. Around 20-30 BeerBars and some pubs. You can find freelancers in Green Mango until 3 am. And Sound Club from 3 am to sunrise. Sound Club is mixed with locals.

Staying more than a month got me really bored. People will recognize you and it will become much harder to get your game.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems hit and miss to me every time I am on the rock. Yearly actually, since 2000, end of January or mid February for a week or so. Some years plenty of girls and not many punters around interested in taking them, some otherwise. Last year,for example, was good and one before not as much.

It's good fun anyways most of the time, I think it's cheaper than pattaya. I stay on Lamai beach always and ride to chaweng for the night life action.

Will be on Samui early February this year for a week, looking forward to some good weather and new adventures.

Sweet looking forward to an update! My feet hit the ground in march for a 3 week trip, and ive been thinking of going to Samui and Pattaya, both of which will be new experiences for me, and a change from the familiar atmosphere of Patong.

Archived