IGNORED

Why the "GO" feature?

sinclair1969

It has long surprised me that on this board, after you select the forum or subforum you want to go to, then you actually have to click the "GO" button. On other boards I have known, you just select the forum and the rest is automatic, you will be sent there and don't have to click on "GO". This may be a very minor thing, but if at all possible to adjust this the way I mention, then I think it would be a definite advantage.

sinclair1969: a fuckin' degenerate gambler.

post-1-0-28227900-1338976307.gif

It has long surprised me that on this board, after you select the forum or subforum you want to go to, then you actually have to click the "GO" button. On other boards I have known, you just select the forum and the rest is automatic, you will be sent there and don't have to click on "GO". This may be a very minor thing, but if at all possible to adjust this the way I mention, then I think it would be a definite advantage.

I know what you mean, however I never use that function... I guess its habit but I find it quicker to go back to the board index by clicking the logo then finding the specific forum I want.

I have not seen any modifications that would enable what you suggest either... sorry.

That's perhaps a UI slowdown, at best. Currently what's slowing the site down the most are probably (in no particular order):

• Ajax chat module that autoloads on every page load, creating a socket connection and loads data even if the window is set to be closed

• Ginormous images that have been uploaded by Windows users who don't know how to scale an image (hey - they say this, not me) which is constantly blowing out server caches

• Inline JS ad system (seriously, there are easier ways that don't expose all your code!)

Probably my top-3. There are other things like the level of customization for each user that weighs the interface down, but that goes towards usability so it's necessary. Lots of comment code, CSS could be cleaner, yada yada yada (yeah, like my house is in order) yet still if the Chat module didn't load until the thing is activated, that's a good savings. If the photos were actually scaled and optimized for viewing online, hoo-bay-bee, that would be a big win on the browser end.

That's perhaps a UI slowdown, at best. Currently what's slowing the site down the most are probably (in no particular order):

• Ajax chat module that autoloads on every page load, creating a socket connection and loads data even if the window is set to be closed

• Ginormous images that have been uploaded by Windows users who don't know how to scale an image (hey - they say this, not me) which is constantly blowing out server caches

• Inline JS ad system (seriously, there are easier ways that don't expose all your code!)

We are getting openx sorted now for the adverts. As for the chat problem, I dont know how to stop that, so i have to wait for the developers.

This isnt my area at all, so thanks for reminding me as I know it needs to be sorted!

We are getting openx sorted now for the adverts. As for the chat problem, I dont know how to stop that, so i have to wait for the developers.

This isnt my area at all, so thanks for reminding me as I know it needs to be sorted!

Well, if I can be of help, I'm happy to. One thing - when you speak to your developers, see if they can integrate a php resizing function into how the images are displayed on the page. Sitepoint has some easy code to explain the process:

http://articles.sitepoint.com/article/image-resizing-php

Leave the uploads as they are and then just fix the display page coded to set fixed maximum widths and bob's yer uncle.

In the meanwhile, maybe push the problem accounts to use an online rescaler before uploading, like Resizr. It's free, does scaling, cropping and rotating, and won't keep the image unless you tell it to.