IGNORED

Prescription Lenses for Glasses

Naja Tom

Anyone had experience having prescription lenses replaced in your glasses in Thailand? I am heading over in a couple days and am looking to

see if I can get it done much cheaper in Thailand and have quality lenses. I posted in BKK forum but got no response so I am hoping someone

will have some info they can pass on as to quality, cost, how long it would take, etc. Thanks.

Getting a new prescription, cutting the lenses, and fitting them are the issues to worry about. Plenty of good quality lens blanks are on offer. If you've got a simple spherical correction, most optical shops should be OK. However, I tried to get lenses to handle astigmatism plus transitional bifocals, both of which require a first rate exam and proper cutting/fitting of the lenses. Was a total disaster. Anyway, that was my experience at Top Charoen on Soi Buakhao, near LK Metro.

• 1 month later...

Guys,

A quick question, what is the average price of new glasses in Pattaya?Interested to compare with specsaver where most lenses are done in the same day.

I got some new glasses from Top Charoen Opticians on Soi Buakhao, having lost a previous pair on a trip up north. My prescription is quite complicated (astigmatism, very short sighted) but luckily I managed to get my prescription from my opticians in England.

I had a pair made up for 7,000bht with light weight designer frame and thin plastic lenses.Extremely happy with both lenses and frames. Could probably have got thicker lenses and cheaper frames for @ 5,000bht.

Equivalent in England at least £250 (@13.5k Bht). If you have a simple prescription, then prices will be much cheaper than this because the lenses cost around 4.5/5k bht from memory. Think it took about 4/5 days.

Hope this helps.

Edited by ingo67

I got some new glasses from Top Charoen Opticians on Soi Buakhao, having lost a previous pair on a trip up north. My prescription is quite complicated (astigmatism, very short sighted) but luckily I managed to get my prescription from my opticians in England.

I had a pair made up for 7,000bht with light weight designer frame and thin plastic lenses.Extremely happy with both lenses and frames. Could probably have got thicker lenses and cheaper frames for @ 5,000bht.

Equivalent in England at least £250 (@13.5k Bht). If you have a simple prescription, then prices will be much cheaper than this because the lenses cost around 4.5/5k bht from memory. Think it took about 4/5 days.

Hope this helps.

Jesus wept. I pay £30 or £45 for 2 pairs from On Spec, a shop in the north east UK. I have very bad astigmatism, but the no frills lenses I get are very light & comfortable.

I wear contacts, but wouldn't dream of paying 5000B for a pair of glasses, even if I wore them full time. Why is the cost of a basic pair of glasses so high in LOS?

I guess that my hopes of obtaining RGP contacts + solution in LOS are but a dream.

Peace. :WTG1:

Edited by El Cata
sgu_banner.gif

I get mine done in thaialnd, works out about half price to australia.

Frames are way cheaper.

But get your testing done at home and bring the prescription with you.

I guess that my hopes of obtaining RGP contacts + solution in LOS are but a dream

El Cata - I also wear RGP contacts, not many of us about - not yet found an optician over here who has even heard of them, let alone could source any. I bring cleaning solutions from UK, but use local soft lense solution for overnight storage.

PS - Opticians must be alot cheaper up north. Last UK purchased glasses defintely approx £250 at Spec Savers, and that was at least 5 years ago.

• 4 months later...

Hope this helps.

Was just down to eye shop here in US, 2 pair of the same light-wieght frames and lens, even with progressive lens for less than 7000B, seems to much money there.

I shopped for glasses in the PI as well and found them cheaper in the US for some reason.

I got 2 new standard lenses in Pattaya a few months ago for a total of 300 B including repair of frame. It took half an hour at Ho Waen in Tesco Lotus on Sukhumwit rd South Pattaya.

A cheap frame with glass is around 1000 B. The sky is the limit.

I am short sighted around -3 -1 50 degrees so pretty normal. If you are very short sighted you may need to wait for them to order special thin lenses that are more expensive.