Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Booking a private car from the Airport to Pattaya

Spoiler

Last time I came to Pattaya, I booked a private car prior to arrival through emails. I was quoted a price and the car was there to meet me as planned. When I got to my destination, I paid the driver the agreed upon amount.

Today while trying to book for my upcoming trip, a company that is talked about on the boards quite a bit, tells me that I must pay for the fare in advance of arrival. I found that to be a bit out of the norm so I wrote back that I am not comfortable with that arrangement and he can either be paid when I receive the service or I will look for a different service.

Is this wrong?

Last time I came to Pattaya, I booked a private car prior to arrival through emails. I was quoted a price and the car was there to meet me as planned. When I got to my destination, I paid the driver the agreed upon amount.

Today while trying to book for my upcoming trip, a company that is talked about on the boards quite a bit, tells me that I must pay for the fare in advance of arrival. I found that to be a bit out of the norm so I wrote back that I am not comfortable with that arrangement and he can either be paid when I receive the service or I will look for a different service.

Is this wrong?

A lot would depend on the person/company asking you to pony up in advance

Reason i say that is because there are a few similar companies around the boards..this one included. At least 4 that i can think of, and, to the best of my knowledge none of them have ever asked for money up front before.

You may not want to, for reasons you like to keep to yourself, but, as you pointed out thats SOME policy shift. Whether there is a valid reason to it or not. Best if you can give a clue to who it is, or even name the company. It could be perfectly innocent and above board..some hotels ask for the cash up front.

Keep us all informed, as to the reply from them will you?

Hedonist

No bad grammer or spelling mistakes here !!!!

Its the all new language i have invented called "Typonese"

Copies of the book and DVDs are on sale and are availible at the main desc at the exit sine

There are two sides to the airpoirt pick-up business. You, the passenger want to know that your driver is going to be there to whisk you safely to your hotel. You might feel vulnerable parting with the cash beforehand. What happens if the driver doesn't show?

The other side of it is the driver's side. He's parked and waiting for a foreigner with a strange name who he won't recognise. He feels vulnerable because if you don't see him, or don't look in the correct place his whole journey will probably have been wasted. If your plane or your luggage are delayed he will probably have to kiss his time goodbye because most of the customers won't pay extra because the delay wasn't their fault.

I'm not taking sides here but there are so many things that can go wrong on an airport pick-up. Personally, when I arrive at the airport I go to level 4 and pick a taxi that has just dropped a passenger off. I am happy because I do not have to wait and he is happy because he's got an outward fare that he wasn't expecting and together we have eliminated the issue of needing synchronise our actions and who is to blame if it doesn't work out.

I can understand people wanting to have somebody waiting there for them but they should keep in mind the many things that can go wrong.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

A lot would depend on the person/company asking you to pony up in advance

Reason i say that is because there are a few similar companies around the boards..this one included. At least 4 that i can think of, and, to the best of my knowledge none of them have ever asked for money up front before.

You may not want to, for reasons you like to keep to yourself, but, as you pointed out thats SOME policy shift. Whether there is a valid reason to it or not. Best if you can give a clue to who it is, or even name the company. It could be perfectly innocent and above board..some hotels ask for the cash up front.

Keep us all informed, as to the reply from them will you?

Hedonist

The company is Mr. Dream. I had first inquired as to his price for VIP pick-up and when he found out that I was arriving on Dec. 31st in the early morning he told me he had no VIP service availability so I asked to book his normal 1100Baht private car from BKK to pattaya which he said was available. His response was that he might be able to make a lower level of VIP available (but it wasn't the one I was looking for) and he added...

Of course I am sure you understand, that because of the time of year, we would require payment in full prior to the pickup to even lock the booking for you, as any hotel, large or luxury pickup company would do.

My response was...

I will be happy to pay for services when I receive the services but I will not pre pay for a service I can get under these terms from numerous venues.

I have used others in the past but I do not know you or your company. I am making this booking based on having read some good things about your company while ignoring some of the reports that weren't so flattering. I feel I am taking a chance by employing you but I am not comfortable handing over my money in advance to an unknown entity. My hotel asked only for a $50 deposit to hold my room that I booked for 18 nights and that is less than 1 night's rate so I don't agree that prepayment is necessary but rather a request you make. This would be a deal breaker for me.

If you can accommodate my request without requiring a prepayment, consider this a booking and confirm.

If you can not, please let me know and I will look for an alternative.

Thank you.

I sent that response 6 1/2 hours ago and less than an hour after he had sent his request for prepayment in full. I have yet to hear back.

The company is Mr. Dream. I had first inquired as to his price for VIP pick-up and when he found out that I was arriving on Dec. 31st in the early morning he told me he had no VIP service availability so I asked to book his normal 1100Baht private car from BKK to pattaya which he said was available. His response was that he might be able to make a lower level of VIP available (but it wasn't the one I was looking for) and he added...

My response was...

I sent that response 6 1/2 hours ago and less than an hour after he had sent his request for prepayment in full. I have yet to hear back.

I would NOT pay in advance in all my pickups and drop offs which is about 20 a year I have never pre paid. Here is an email address of Mr T, his located just near Soi LK and is very reliable. [email protected]

The cost is BHT1,000 each way including all tolls.

I have sent emails to Mr_ttaxi and p.t.taxi... both have been mentioned on the boards as reliable and 1000Baht from BKK to Pattaya. I even sent a reminder to Mr. Dream that I was awaiting an answer. We'll see who wants my business.

I read recently that "Mr Dream" was accused of some dubious business practises on another popular Pattaya Board and the moderator actually band him from posting about his business.

BTY - no I wouldn't pay in advance. Used Mr T last time (friend has used him for years), reliable, cheap.

Use mr T.

prepaid for an airport pickup is ridiculous and NOT what other companies do

I wonder if the REAL Mr Dream....not the internet front man even knows about it......................

Better to be daring and cool, than timid and uncool! Life's journey is not about arriving at your gravesite in a well preserved condition, but rather dropping into it in a long sideways skid, totally worn out, and shouting "Holy Shit...What a ride" - Indian Larry

This is why i asked who the compny was.

In fact, there is a "fuck thread" still running, all about that company....which i thought was a bit unfair, as he hasnt the opportunity to defend himself, tbh.

Seems that Dream Transport is on the slide, if he is asking for money upfront, though.

Hedonist

Copies of the book and DVDs are on sale and are availible at the main desc at the exit sine

This is why i asked who the compny was.

In fact, there is a "fuck thread" still running, all about that company....which i thought was a bit unfair, as he hasnt the opportunity to defend himself, tbh.

Seems that Dream Transport is on the slide, if he is asking for money upfront, though.

Hedonist

I gave him the opportunity at my business without a prepayment and here is his response...

...Yes, you can get the same service from various other venues, those are our terms that we abide by for any VIP, purchase, or holiday pickups. This is the busiest day of the year without a doubt, so we stand by this firmly...

Well I stand by my belief that it is wrong to require my money in advance and I told him I would seek a car service elsewhere.

I booked with P. T. for 100 baht less and and no hassles.

Thank you all for the advice. I thought his business practice seemed out of the norm and you all confirmed my suspicions. Thanks.

Spoiler

i emailed [email protected] on the 29/1/09 for a taxi and still not had a reply five days later. do i email him again or just presume he does not want my bussiness. Does not install me with a lot of confidence when people can't be bothered to reply bak after that length of time.

I can resist everything but temptation!

You would be better off calling them

Use the prefix 08442009898, and when you hear the welcome message, use one of the following:

0066-38-720-318 or mobile 0066-81-258-7716/0066-81-351-3612

All it will cost you is half a penny a minute, plus a connection charge of 3.5 pence for duration of call

Hedonist

although i booked with mr.dream a month ago. i emailed today to confirm everything was ok. was asked to pay by paypal. i have now cancelled. i'm now looking for a vehicle for 3 men plus bags and 2 sets of golf clubs. :)