IGNORED

Jet Ski Hire on Island - BEWARE

Highlander

Beware of hiring jet ski's on island as I watched the locals do the old 'you scratch bottom of my jetski, you pay' to 2 different guys within 20 minutes of each other. I watched both of them slowly pull up to the beach and not cause any damage.

Do these locals not realise that it is a short term gain, long term loss. I was going to hire one until I saw that.

That sort of crap just makes me angry.

This article is in the latest Pattaya Mail

Pattaya tackles its own ‘Big Trouble’ with jet-ski vendors

Sawittree Namwiwatsuk

Following the lead of officials in Phuket, where a British TV documentary showed a worldwide audience a jet-ski vendor scamming British Royal Marines, Pattaya Mayor Itthiphol Kunplome has called for a crackdown on the local watercraft-rental industry to prevent tourists from being ripped off.

Deputy Mayor Ronakit Ekasingh (left) will co-head a committee comprised of officials from the Harbor Department, Sea Rescue, Tourist Police, Marine Police, Pattaya lawyers, and civil protection to bring jet-ski vendor corruption under control.

Itthiphol Nov. 9 called for the establishment of a “Controlling Committee for Maritime Tourism” that would register all of the city’s jet-ski vendors, review damage claims, set standardized rates for compensation, provide assistance to jet-ski customers and even fine or revoke the licenses of vendors who violate the new rules.

The mayor’s move came after an Iranian tourist recently filed a complaint about being overcharged for alleged damage to a jet ski he rented and then allegedly being threatened with his life if he told police.

The mayor said such stories severely damage Pattaya’s reputation, much as it did to Phuket, which suffered global embarrassment after a September episode of “Big Trouble in Thailand” broadcast the story of a young Marine who was scammed out of 35,000 baht by Patong Beach jet-ski vendor Winai “J.J.” Naiman for allegedly damaging one of his watercraft.

While the Marine admitted off camera he had been in a collision with another jet ski, the damage Winai pointed out on camera was caused long before. The show, which aired on the Bravo U.K. cable channel and has now been syndicated to Australia, also made it appear as if Winai intimidated the soldiers into paying by producing a rifle.

Winai was arrested a day after the show aired with Phuket Gov. Wichai Praisa-nob taking swift action to limit the number of jet-ski vendors, require all carry insurance and jail any violators. While series creator Gavin Hill later admitted the gun scene had been edited untruthfully, the damage had been done with calls to crack down on jet ski vendors nationwide coming from the deputy prime minister and diplomats from Australia and Britain.

In Pattaya, jet skis would come under the jurisdiction of a committee comprised of officials from the Harbor Department, Sea Rescue, Tourist Police, Marine Police, Pattaya lawyers, and civil protection. It will be headed by Deputy Mayor Ronakit Ekasingh and Deputy Banglamung District Chief Pongsit Pijanan.

Itthiphol said one new step will be to construct a dock where vendors claiming damage will take their vehicles for an impartial review. In addition, all jet skis records will be recorded and copies of rental agreements kept. Tourists will also be provided with phone numbers to call if they have any problems.

Vendors found violating the new rules face fines of 1,000 baht or can have their licenses revoked, he said.

Let's hope that they follow through with it this time.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

A woman that I work with here in the US had to wire her son money in Phuket to pay for jet ski "damage". Hopefully they will do something about it.

Maybe a good idea to take a couple of photo's with a digital camera before you go but I think I will just not bother probably.

As usual thanks for the input guys.

Cheers

I also saw this kind of trick every time in Pattaya.Always with the same jet ski owner

They mainly target india and arabs guys.

I really feel sorry for these guys who r just here to have good time and r fucked by jet ski scammer