IGNORED

Phuket Province

Braveheart

Phuket (Thai: ภูเก็ต; formerly known as Tha-Laang or Talang) is one of the southern provinces (changwat) of Thailand. Neighbouring provinces are (from north clockwise) Phang Nga and Krabi, but as Phuket is an island there are no land boundaries. The island is served by Phuket International Airport, located in the north of the island. The ph of "Phuket" is an aspirated a soft "f", so the name is pronounced (roughly) "Puck-get". The name Phuket is apparently derived from the word Bukit in Malay which means mountain or hill, as this is what the island appears like from a distance.

Before that its old name was Ta-lang (in Thai): The word is derived from the old Malay "Telong" which means "Cape", which is still in use for one of the main districts in the Phuket area.

Phuket is the biggest island in Thailand, located in the Andaman Sea off southern Thailand. The island is mostly mountainous with a mountain range in the west of the island from the north to the south. The mountains of Phuket form the southern end of the Phuket mountain range, which ranges for 440 km from the Kra Isthmus. The highest elevation of the island is Mai Thao Sip Song (Twelve Canes), at 529 m above sea level.

70% of the island is covered by forest. The western coast has several sandy beaches, while on the east coast beaches are more often muddy. Near the southernmost point is Laem Promthep (Brahma's Cape), which is a popular sunset viewing point.

In the mountainous north of the island is the Khao Phra Thaeo Wildlife Sanctuary, protecting more than 20 km

• 1 year later...

I am no expert on pronounciation however my friend in the US is Thai born and talked me to coming over told me it is Poo - Get. Yes, that's excatly how he explained it to me as I wanted to use a "f" sound but he corrected me with that pronounciation.

Guest Harlequin

I live there and - definitely not an aspirate "f" - its a "P" or if anything a cross between P and B. However, some good background - thanks for the post!

I am no expert on pronounciation however my friend in the US is Thai born and talked me to coming over told me it is Poo - Get. Yes, that's excatly how he explained it to me as I wanted to use a "f" sound but he corrected me with that pronounciation.