Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Confessions of an HIV-positive prostitute

LaaMok

From her appearance, Pui, 31, (not her real name) looks like a perfectly normal, healthy Thai woman. But she is actually HIV-positive. By day Ms Pui is a part-time cleaner and a mother to a 16-year-old daughter; by nights, she is a freelance prostitute, working along Sukhumvit Road. She has sold her body for the past eight years.

Ms Pui, who keeps her condition a secret from her family and friends, has unprotected sex with customers, even though having sex without a condom is probably how she contracted the disease in the first place.

"Now it's too late for me to think what I should have done better in the past. Surely I would do things differently by insisting on a condom. I was careless."

A life on the streets was never what she contemplated when Ms Pui left her native village in Loei province in northeastern Thailand about 13 years ago, to look for work in Bangkok. She made the move so she could support herself, her young daughter and her parents.

"I'm not the only one who has done it. There are many other girls who left poverty-stricken villages and came to Bangkok looking for a better life, but not all ended as prostitutes or HIV-positive like me. It was not my intention to become a prostitute, but because of a lack of education [she only had six years of schooling], I couldn't get a well-paid job here," she said.

"When I came to Bangkok the first time, I was about 18. I could only find an unskilled job in a factory, for 4,500 baht a month.

"It was enough then, but as my parents were getting older and my daughter growing up, I needed more money.

"I wanted her to be well-educated so she could get a good job, and not end up like me. And the only way to make extra money was to become a prostitute. I started when I was about 23, and I've been doing it ever since," Ms Pui said.

"I was definitely infected by a farang, because at that time I only went with them, but now I'll go with anyone, whether they are Arab, African, Japanese or whatever, provided they give me money," she said with the same degree of coolness she displayed during the entire interview.

She doesn't know when she was infected, or who did it.

"It might have been the first man. Who knows?" she said.

Ms Pui goes out looking for customers about 6pm daily, except on Sundays, which she spends with her 16-year-old daughter. Because she is relatively better looking than most of the other women working the streets, she says she can get customers almost every day.

"I'll walk or stand on the pavement of Sukhumvit Road between sois 3 and 5, and sometimes sit in open bars. Since Middle Eastern men prefer fat girls to skinny ones, who are in the majority, I usually have no problem finding a customer.

"I charge 1,000 baht for a short time and prefer not to use a condom, because it's faster. I can make money easily and go home. I'll take only one customer per day, and if I can't then I'll go home at 11pm.

"I can't stay too late because I must get up at 6am to send my daughter to school and then go to work," she said.

Ms Pui doesn't show much consideration to her foreign clients and readily agrees to, and even encourages unprotected sex, despite knowing that she might infect not only her customers, but also their wives and girlfriends as well as other prostitutes. Some of her foreign customers, she says, take two or even three women every day.

Surprisingly, Ms Pui blames men for the problems she faces, but denies she is seeking revenge by deliberately infecting them.

"Most of the men, especially from the Middle East and Africa, won't use a condom. Every man who takes girls from the street should realise the risk of contracting HIV or other sexually transmitted diseases. It appears to me that they don't really care, so why should I? I'm HIV-positive, they are not!

"The business around Sukhumvit is getting worse for Thai women because of the influx of prostitutes mainly from Uzbekistan and African countries. They'll stand on the pavement the same as we do and approach foreigners who are passing.

"This gives us a lot of competition, because many men, especially from the Middle East, like to take them," she complained. "For sure, I'm not the only one who is HIV-positive working on the street. There are others as well."

Other street women and transsexuals who are joining them on the street in increasing numbers will have sometimes two or even three customers in one day.

"What can I do? I need money now more than ever before. My daughter is a bright student and I want her to continue her studies at a university, so that she can get a well-paid job when she grows up and not end up like me.

"She wants to be a doctor, but I doubt that this will be possible because I don't have enough money to give her that kind of education."I also have to take care of my 65-year-old ailing father.

My mother died six years ago, when she was 44. She didn't want me to have an abortion; at the time I was only 15-years-old.

"The child's father, a 20-year-old Thai man, left me before she was born, and never contacted or supported us.

"I haven't had a boyfriend since and I don't think that I want one now. I like to stay alone with my daughter."

Ms Pui discovered she was HIV-positive about two years ago after she applied for a manual job with a government agency and was told to have a medical examination before she could start work.

"When I saw the result, I was devastated and tore the medical certificate to pieces. I couldn't sleep, eat or do anything for days, and I cried constantly. I thought: 'I am dead.'

"I thought that my sick father and daughter would lose their only breadwinner, and it made me miserable and it still does. After the blood test, I didn't contact the government agency. "I couldn't go back and tell them because others would find out sooner or later about my misfortune." It took her a few days to pull herself together and to find a full-time cleaning job with a private company, where she earns 7,500 baht a month, and importantly for her, there was no compulsory medical check-up required. At the same time she returned to Sukhumvit Road, looking for men.

"As my income from cleaning is not enough, I have to subsidise it by going with men. There's nothing else for me to do. I have to pay 2,500 baht for a room and utilities, send 2,000 baht monthly to my family and look after my daughter." At Spectrum's request, she went to a city hospital and took a further test, which confirmed the original result.

After her first HIV test, a doctor suggested she start taking a cocktail of anti-retroviral drugs. She refused, saying it would result in pimples on her face. "Even now, I'm not taking any medicine or getting treatment. But I'm otherwise healthy, apart for an occasional cold. In fact, I'm getting fat. I now weigh almost 75kg."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/investigation/27077/confessions-of-an-hiv-positive-prostitute

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• QuotaMan

• LaaMok

• tudodude

• Al.

Top Posters In This Topic

Truly scary, especially her apparent lack of understanding the gravity of her situation, insisting that her customers don't use condoms, and her care free attitude as to whoever she may infect in the future.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

how sad and scary.she is clearly on a revenge mission.it is frightning to think how many people she has infected.the guys who insist on barebacking should take

Yes, very sad indeed.

Note to self: stay away from all chunky looking hookers on Sukhumvit Road.

If you want a better experience with your "date"... read, learn, live the following:

https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/topic/22263-vetting-bar-girls-and-how-to-pass-their-own-vett

"By day Ms Pui is a part-time cleaner and a mother to a 16-year-old daughter; by nights, she is a freelance prostitute"

You'd think she would pack the cleaning in...........

Thanks Laamok. I real eye opening story. Such a difference in beliefs, values between our cultures. I have met other girls, through my tirak, that are also HIV positive, and still working. Scary stuff.

Cover up boys!!!!!!!

Ahh ..the inevitable reality behind this fantasy Utopia is alive and well then? Sad but true I guess. Why the fuck spread it around tho if its not just revenge?

I also will steer clear of over priced, bad attitude FL's that weigh more than me, in future.

"I was definitely infected by a farang, because at that time I only went with them, but now I'll go with anyone, whether they are Arab, African, Japanese or whatever, provided they give me money,"

I know this is a crap newbie question and completely off topic (so please ignore) , but I figured 'Farang' referred to all non-Thais? does it actually mean just us pasty faced westerners?

Life's too short!

It is an interesting perspective. If it were a foreigner accused of knowingly having sex with others with the HIV infection, they would be mercilessly crucified. I think any person doing so should be rightfully criticized and then somehow they have to be stopped from doing what they are doing regardless of their background or 'culture.' I don't think there's a 'culture' in the world where you are excused from responsibility for not spreading the HIV.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

Very frightening article.

Best thing to do is ensure your own safety and well being and use a condom.

Sad to think there are these type of people out there though.

Ahh ..the inevitable reality behind this fantasy utopia is alive and well then? Sad but true I guess. Why the fuck spread it around tho if its not just revenge?

I also will steer clear of over priced, bad attitude FL's that weigh more than me, in future.

I know this is a crap newbie question and completely off topic (so please ignore) , but I figured 'Farang' referred to all non-Thais? does it actually mean just us pasty faced westerners?

Farang generally applies to white westerners, not arabs, Indians, Chinese etc.. Only Mr. Pale skin.

On the OP, it is getting increasingly surprising just how much 'in your face' this HIV thing is getting out there.

I made a post a few days ago about an experience I have witnessed. Was hearing yesterday there was a guy married to an ex BG living overseas (Not Thailand). His missus was found to be HIV+ and he had obviously been having sex on a regular basis (unprotected).

Nobody knows if this guy has had tests or not but is bare backing girls in Patts?!?!?! This now seems to be increasingly common practice, HIV+ males or females bare backing in Patts? I may just not have looked at this in any great depth before and just ignored the problem. Is it just me or are others starting to see increased mentions of HIV+ people shagging bare back in patts?

Wha's like us?

very sad story and scary when we go through this

The original article is on the Bangkok Post website and it has some pretty scary readers comments on the rights and wrongs of teh situation - some people should simply be taken out the back and have a bullet put into their head!

I feel like takin a stroll down beach road and fuckin a girl bareback now. :Thanks3:

A sad and scarey story. I am amazed at the Post NOT acting upon her idenity and doing something to get her off the streets. I can't imagine ANY culture could let this one go.

USE CONDOMS and in Thailand there is no need to shag whores. Class women are everywhere and a fair number of the English speaking ones are hardly difficult to strike up a sexual relationship with.

I also believe BBing whores is becoming a more normal thing, certainly with a few of my mates, and there have been 100's of forum users who admit to BBing whores.

She should be removed and her and her family cared for and we should wake up!!!

But this is Pattya Addicts where the wild ones play.

I feel like takin a stroll down beach road and fuckin a girl bareback now. :Thanks3:

A sad and scarey story. I am amazed at the Post NOT acting upon her idenity and doing something to get her off the streets. I can't imagine ANY culture could let this one go.

USE CONDOMS and in Thailand there is no need to shag whores. Class women are everywhere and a fair number of the English speaking ones are hardly difficult to strike up a sexual relationship with.

I also believe BBing whores is becoming a more normal thing, certainly with a few of my mates, and there have been 100's of forum users who admit to BBing whores.

This case is far from uncommon. My ex-girlfriend shared a room in Bangkok with another girl who had been HIV positive for over two years. From the outside it was impossible to tell. She was very sexy and looked completely healthy. She had to leave her bar after the first medical showed positive, but continued very successfully as a freelancer. Told me she always used a condom, but she was the type of girl who would do anything for a few extra Baht.

The message is clear: always use protection!

Farang generally applies to white westerners, not arabs, Indians, Chinese etc.. Only Mr. Pale skin.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes agree , white people is falang. But I seriously dont know what this woman means by just giving the HIV to

falang.. She is not educated enough to tell the difference. I think she means that she gives the shit to everybody

else BUT thai people.

Glegolo

I love to miss the cold and windy weather of Sweden. And i love to miss the "ladies" in Sweden,

so a big Hurra for the rest of my life down here in Thailand

Glegolo

Truly seems like a ticking time bomb. I'm sticking to hand jobs.

I knew a guy from Isreal that took girls back to the hotel and refused to touch them, he just wanked over there chest, he was so scared of catching something.

I think this comment is the most relevant of all. It is people like us who come to LOS who cause these types of situations. Not a personal attack on any individuals here, but lets face it, this is what we come here for, sex, and this is a side effect by the stupid ones.

She has no other option, and as sad as it is, can you blame her for continuing on the way she is seeing this is how she caught it to begin with. If you want to BB, shouldn't you expect the high risk may come to fruition.

If you we were genuine, we would get her off the street but also support her and her family for the future. Unfortunately this won't happen, it will just be another of the many out there that will be forgotten about, meanwhile some stupid (but probably nice guy) will get himself a death sentence in the meantime.

Fact - there's hundreds of girls & ladyboys working the streets and bars with HIV.

Fact - there's hundreds of guys who go BB with these P4P providers. Some guys just don't care & some customers from a number of countries demand no condom.

The HIV situation is only going to get worse in countries like Thailand. Most of us are sensible & would use a condom but what if it breaks. We are put in danger by the others who don't/won't use a condom.

A few years ago my thai wife & I were having some "Thai dress" family portraits done. The makeup girl was a ladyboy. My wife ask "her" if she knew of some LB's working the beach road some years before who had been acquaintances of my wife.

"Her" answer was - don't worry about them - they'd all be dead of AIDS now. Enough said.

i think i have fallen in love with laamoks avatar

where can i get that japanese schoolgirl outfit for my tr

back to the topic it's pretty hard to try and understand this mentality

but if you get a thai girlfriend you can explain tot hem everything in the minutest detail

and even if they say they understand, since it's more polite to agree than to argue over it.

Saying you understand and understanding is hard even for us

as we interpret things differently not just ona person to person way

but culturally as well the whole nature versus nurture might have a slot here i think.

So my own personal experience with my gf has been a bit turbulent

when i work i have to work hard so when she wants attention she will throw a fit

but once they'v worked themselves up enought o realise that the way theyv acted was's out of order or you've split up with ehr and she and shes now stalking you.

this may seem a bit full on but thats just how they are

my own thoughts on the topic are that i would expect this to be very common

- bag up if you don't plan to marry her and even then make sure

after every trip i check with my gp i didnt check my first time and it worried me ever since

luckily i'd only got chlamidia which is treatable and gone in a week.